Sign in with
Your question

Major motherboard issue - P5B Deluxe won't post, no display

Last response: in Motherboards
November 4, 2006 6:09:56 AM

I'll get right down to it, I cannot for the life of me figure this out.

P5B Deluxe BIOS 507
Core 2 Duo E6600
OCZ PC2-8000 1gig RAM stick
XFX Geforce 7900GT
OCZ Powerstream 700watt PSU

This has been happening on and off for about 2 weeks. After a restart, or change in voltages (no matter higher or lower) the computer will not boot up again. The fans will go, the cpu will ignite, the Hard drive will spin but no display and no beeps from the motherboard.

So I changed out my vid card and put a generic PCI one in. At first, this worked. (last week) So I thought my vid card was at fault. But I was wrong. Once I plugged my 7900GT in a diff PCIE slot it was working.

So I thought my PCIE was shorting out or it was defective. But I was wrong, it started not booting again a couple days later after a basic restart (no bios changes). So I thought there was a short somewhere. I took everything out of the case and set it up on some cloth and discovered the backplate of my thermalright cooler may have been shorting the motherboard out. So I wrapped it in electrical tape. It worked.

So I thought I had it fixed, but I was wrong. It did it again just at the beginning of this week after World of Warcraft crashed to a BSOD. So I thought, hmm, it may be my RAM. So I switched RAM slots, and it worked.

I thought my voltages may have been too high, so I turned them down to the recommended specs (2.25v) But alas, today, it happend again. I could not boot. And I have been trying all the above and more (disconnecting all peripheals, clearing CMOS). And have only one thing to say:

If I take the RAM out I can get beeps out of it. Otherwise no. If I take the CPU out it will just hang exactly like it did before.

What could possibly be the problem? I have heard other people with the same symptoms who would change out their ram with another piece and it would work, to change the BIOS settings back down like 200mhz below the spec and put their original RAM back in to never have the problem again.

Any help greatly appreciated.
November 4, 2006 5:09:46 PM

I am not too sure, but one thing i can tell you is. Asus quality is not what it used to be. I had a similar problem with a P5B deluxe wifi ap. Eventyally i just sent it back and got a DQ6. This new asus are very finicky.
November 4, 2006 8:06:57 PM

I agree with you, next time I think i'll trust the reviews instead of my personal opinion ;p
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2006 8:12:15 PM

It sounds like your ram and motherboard don't get along. P965 boards in general do not like high voltage ram. Your stick of OCZ probably does not like 1.8 volts. Ideally you would want 2 sticks for dual channel anyway. Try to get some 1.8v ram and POST using a cleared CMOS. I'll bet it works.
November 4, 2006 8:48:29 PM

For my P965 set I had to set the ram timings manually to the package settings (bios detected them differently than rated on the package - this is what OCZ support suggested). So I set the DDR2-800 to 400MHz FSB, 2.1V, 4-4-4-15 timings & it works fine.
Jo
November 4, 2006 10:03:31 PM

Quote:
For my P965 set I had to set the ram timings manually to the package settings (bios detected them differently than rated on the package - this is what OCZ support suggested). So I set the DDR2-800 to 400MHz FSB, 2.1V, 4-4-4-15 timings & it works fine.
Jo

If I could even get to the bios, I am sure I could fix it if itw was a RAM issue. I always ran my OCZ ddr2 1000mhz ram at the specified settings of 2.35v 5-5-5-15 and at a 1:2 ratio of 400fsb/1000ram.

I think if I set it down to ddr-800mhz it would work.

I'm not sure thogh. I have had this mobo for about 2 months and this is the first occurence of such a problem. This only happend after I got my XFX 7900GT RMA back. I have no idea what the problem is, perhaps my overclocks are running down the board?
November 7, 2006 5:38:48 PM

seemed to have fixed it by cleanin a stain off the bottom of the cpu. I also had the voltage wrong on the RAM. I had it on 2.25v, while the specifications were 2.1.

: / Very stupid I know.

All this encouraged me to do some more tweaking on it and managed to get my system to 1:1 ratio with 1000mhz ddr / 500fsb. 3.5ghz overclocked cpu, 7x multiplier. It runs a lot better.
!