Keeps connecting and disconnecting when use WPA

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 18, 2005 4:24:33 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

My info:
- Software: Win XP Pro SP2, with WPA update (KB893357); Intel
PROSet/Wireless v.9 software
- PC: Centrino 1.4 Ghz, Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG network connection
- Modem/router: Zyxel Prestige 660R-61C
- Wireless: I use wireless G router CNet CWR-854, but configured as Wireless
Access Point only

My problem:
- If I set security for my wireless as OPEN with no encryption at all or
with WEP, then I can connect to the wireless fine.
- If I set security to WPA PSK (on the wireless router) and WPA Personal (on
Intel PROSet/Wireless v.9 software),then my computer keeps doing this:
connect to wireless for 2 seconds, then disconnect, after around 30 seconds
it tries and gets connected for 2 seconds; then disconnects....

What did I do wrong? What can I do - please help! Thanks.
July 18, 2005 5:45:21 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I guess I might mention 3 things:

Try disabling the 802.1x authentication if you have it enabled.

Get the latest firmware for your devices.

Is there anything that might be interrupting the signal, like a microwave or
cordless phones or router too close to something?

This is not four, but something entirely different ;-)

On the card, when you select WPA-Personal, are you using TKIP with it?
My PROSet/Wireless software is version 9.0.1.0 Which you will not be using
if you use WZC. If it doesn't work, you might disable the WZC and use the
Intel configuration utility.
The driver for my NEW 2200BG is version 9.0.1.9

Clark

"tom goc" <tom_goc@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> My info:
> - Software: Win XP Pro SP2, with WPA update (KB893357); Intel
> PROSet/Wireless v.9 software
> - PC: Centrino 1.4 Ghz, Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG network connection
> - Modem/router: Zyxel Prestige 660R-61C
> - Wireless: I use wireless G router CNet CWR-854, but configured as
> Wireless Access Point only
>
> My problem:
> - If I set security for my wireless as OPEN with no encryption at all or
> with WEP, then I can connect to the wireless fine.
> - If I set security to WPA PSK (on the wireless router) and WPA Personal
> (on Intel PROSet/Wireless v.9 software),then my computer keeps doing this:
> connect to wireless for 2 seconds, then disconnect, after around 30
> seconds it tries and gets connected for 2 seconds; then disconnects....
>
> What did I do wrong? What can I do - please help! Thanks.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 19, 2005 4:03:40 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Thanks for your reply Clark.

- If i disable the 802.1x authentication, then can someone leech my wireless
bandwidth?
- I tried using WZC instead, but still have problem. btw, in the
Authentication tab of the network properties, everything is greyed out. Does
that mean that authentication is already turned off as you suggested?

Thanks for help!

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>I guess I might mention 3 things:
>
> Try disabling the 802.1x authentication if you have it enabled.
>
> Get the latest firmware for your devices.
>
> Is there anything that might be interrupting the signal, like a microwave
> or cordless phones or router too close to something?
>
> This is not four, but something entirely different ;-)
>
> On the card, when you select WPA-Personal, are you using TKIP with it?
> My PROSet/Wireless software is version 9.0.1.0 Which you will not be
> using if you use WZC. If it doesn't work, you might disable the WZC and
> use the Intel configuration utility.
> The driver for my NEW 2200BG is version 9.0.1.9
>
> Clark
>
> "tom goc" <tom_goc@hotpop.com> wrote in message
>> My info:
>> - Software: Win XP Pro SP2, with WPA update (KB893357); Intel
>> PROSet/Wireless v.9 software
>> - PC: Centrino 1.4 Ghz, Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG network connection
>> - Modem/router: Zyxel Prestige 660R-61C
>> - Wireless: I use wireless G router CNet CWR-854, but configured as
>> Wireless Access Point only
>>
>> My problem:
>> - If I set security for my wireless as OPEN with no encryption at all or
>> with WEP, then I can connect to the wireless fine.
>> - If I set security to WPA PSK (on the wireless router) and WPA Personal
>> (on Intel PROSet/Wireless v.9 software),then my computer keeps doing
>> this: connect to wireless for 2 seconds, then disconnect, after around 30
>> seconds it tries and gets connected for 2 seconds; then disconnects....
>>
>> What did I do wrong? What can I do - please help! Thanks.

Related resources
July 19, 2005 10:25:25 AM

tom goc wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Clark.
>
> - If i disable the 802.1x authentication, then can someone leech my
> wireless bandwidth?
> - I tried using WZC instead, but still have problem. btw, in the
> Authentication tab of the network properties, everything is greyed
> out. Does that mean that authentication is already turned off as you
> suggested?
>
> Thanks for help!
>
> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>>I guess I might mention 3 things:
>>
>> Try disabling the 802.1x authentication if you have it enabled.
>>
>> Get the latest firmware for your devices.
>>
>> Is there anything that might be interrupting the signal, like a
>> microwave or cordless phones or router too close to something?
>>
>> This is not four, but something entirely different ;-)
>>
>> On the card, when you select WPA-Personal, are you using TKIP with
>> it?
>> My PROSet/Wireless software is version 9.0.1.0 Which you will not be
>> using if you use WZC. If it doesn't work, you might disable the WZC
>> and use the Intel configuration utility.
>> The driver for my NEW 2200BG is version 9.0.1.9
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "tom goc" <tom_goc@hotpop.com> wrote in message
>>> My info:
>>> - Software: Win XP Pro SP2, with WPA update (KB893357); Intel
>>> PROSet/Wireless v.9 software
>>> - PC: Centrino 1.4 Ghz, Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG network connection
>>> - Modem/router: Zyxel Prestige 660R-61C
>>> - Wireless: I use wireless G router CNet CWR-854, but configured as
>>> Wireless Access Point only
>>>
>>> My problem:
>>> - If I set security for my wireless as OPEN with no encryption at
>>> all or with WEP, then I can connect to the wireless fine.
>>> - If I set security to WPA PSK (on the wireless router) and WPA
>>> Personal (on Intel PROSet/Wireless v.9 software),then my computer
>>> keeps doing this: connect to wireless for 2 seconds, then
>>> disconnect, after around 30 seconds it tries and gets connected for
>>> 2 seconds; then disconnects....
>>>
>>> What did I do wrong? What can I do - please help! Thanks.

Disable the 802.1x authentication. You don't need that unless you have
something like a Radius server. Make sure all your hardware supports
WPA - older hardware usually doesn't.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Archived from groups: (More info?)

It looks like the 802.1x changes depending on what security you are using.
If using WEP, it is selectable, but with WAP it is not. Are you using TKIP
or AES with the WAP settings?

You did not say, do you have the latest firmware for the router? Have you
checked their website for problem areas? Are you running any WEP enabled
devices on the same network as the WAP?

Most of the things I have seen so far seem to suggest the 802.1x
authentication process could be causing the problem, but I will look some
more tomorrow.

Someone suggested deleting all your profiles and starting over. I don't
have the KB update your are referring to. Check out this page to see if it
helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815485/

> Thanks for your reply Clark.
>
> - If i disable the 802.1x authentication, then can someone leech my
> wireless bandwidth?
> - I tried using WZC instead, but still have problem. btw, in the
> Authentication tab of the network properties, everything is greyed out.
> Does that mean that authentication is already turned off as you suggested?
>
> Thanks for help!
>
> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>>I guess I might mention 3 things:
>>
>> Try disabling the 802.1x authentication if you have it enabled.
>>
>> Get the latest firmware for your devices.
>>
>> Is there anything that might be interrupting the signal, like a microwave
>> or cordless phones or router too close to something?
>>
>> This is not four, but something entirely different ;-)
>>
>> On the card, when you select WPA-Personal, are you using TKIP with it?
>> My PROSet/Wireless software is version 9.0.1.0 Which you will not be
>> using if you use WZC. If it doesn't work, you might disable the WZC and
>> use the Intel configuration utility.
>> The driver for my NEW 2200BG is version 9.0.1.9
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "tom goc" <tom_goc@hotpop.com> wrote in message
>>> My info:
>>> - Software: Win XP Pro SP2, with WPA update (KB893357); Intel
>>> PROSet/Wireless v.9 software
>>> - PC: Centrino 1.4 Ghz, Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG network connection
>>> - Modem/router: Zyxel Prestige 660R-61C
>>> - Wireless: I use wireless G router CNet CWR-854, but configured as
>>> Wireless Access Point only
>>>
>>> My problem:
>>> - If I set security for my wireless as OPEN with no encryption at all or
>>> with WEP, then I can connect to the wireless fine.
>>> - If I set security to WPA PSK (on the wireless router) and WPA Personal
>>> (on Intel PROSet/Wireless v.9 software),then my computer keeps doing
>>> this: connect to wireless for 2 seconds, then disconnect, after around
>>> 30 seconds it tries and gets connected for 2 seconds; then
>>> disconnects....
>>>
>>> What did I do wrong? What can I do - please help! Thanks.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 20, 2005 4:13:25 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Last night I got it up and running with WPA for the first time, but I
couldnt' be happy for long! This morning, when I resumed the computer the
wireless repeated the same problem: connected but no internet access. I had
to repeat the whole thing that I did before: reset and reconfigure the
wireless router, then flip back and forth between MS WZC and Intel ProSet
application, and eventually somehow MS WZC connected for me.

It seems like either my router or my wireless card won't remember the
settings after being turned off? Now I'm very afraid of turning off the
computer for the fear that I'll have problem again next time I fire up the
computer!

I followed your link and read on one of MS article that shows similar
symptom: after laptop resume/stand by, wireless have problem and that could
be caused by outdated firmware, but the one I got is the latest and pretty
recent (March 2005). What else should I look at?

Thanks a lot.

> It looks like the 802.1x changes depending on what security you are using.
> If using WEP, it is selectable, but with WAP it is not. Are you using
> TKIP or AES with the WAP settings?
>
> You did not say, do you have the latest firmware for the router? Have
> you checked their website for problem areas? Are you running any WEP
> enabled devices on the same network as the WAP?
>
> Most of the things I have seen so far seem to suggest the 802.1x
> authentication process could be causing the problem, but I will look some
> more tomorrow.
>
> Someone suggested deleting all your profiles and starting over. I don't
> have the KB update your are referring to. Check out this page to see if
> it helps.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815485/
>
> Clark
>
> "tom goc" <tom_goc@hotpop.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for your reply Clark.
>>
>> - If i disable the 802.1x authentication, then can someone leech my
>> wireless bandwidth?
>> - I tried using WZC instead, but still have problem. btw, in the
>> Authentication tab of the network properties, everything is greyed out.
>> Does that mean that authentication is already turned off as you
>> suggested?
>>
>> Thanks for help!
>>
>> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>>>I guess I might mention 3 things:
>>>
>>> Try disabling the 802.1x authentication if you have it enabled.
>>>
>>> Get the latest firmware for your devices.
>>>
>>> Is there anything that might be interrupting the signal, like a
>>> microwave or cordless phones or router too close to something?
>>>
>>> This is not four, but something entirely different ;-)
>>>
>>> On the card, when you select WPA-Personal, are you using TKIP with it?
>>> My PROSet/Wireless software is version 9.0.1.0 Which you will not be
>>> using if you use WZC. If it doesn't work, you might disable the WZC and
>>> use the Intel configuration utility.
>>> The driver for my NEW 2200BG is version 9.0.1.9
>>>
>>> Clark
>>>
>>> "tom goc" <tom_goc@hotpop.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 20, 2005 4:17:43 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I'm using WPA-PSK and the 802.1x authentication tab on the wireless network
properties is greyed out. How to disable it?
All my hardware (router and wireless card on laptop) support WPA.

> tom goc wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your reply Clark.
>>
>> - If i disable the 802.1x authentication, then can someone leech my
>> wireless bandwidth?
>> - I tried using WZC instead, but still have problem. btw, in the
>> Authentication tab of the network properties, everything is greyed
>> out. Does that mean that authentication is already turned off as you
>> suggested?
>>
>> Thanks for help!
>>
>> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>>>I guess I might mention 3 things:
>>>
>>> Try disabling the 802.1x authentication if you have it enabled.
>>>
>>> Get the latest firmware for your devices.
>>>
>>> Is there anything that might be interrupting the signal, like a
>>> microwave or cordless phones or router too close to something?
>>>
>>> This is not four, but something entirely different ;-)
>>>
>>> On the card, when you select WPA-Personal, are you using TKIP with
>>> it?
>>> My PROSet/Wireless software is version 9.0.1.0 Which you will not be
>>> using if you use WZC. If it doesn't work, you might disable the WZC
>>> and use the Intel configuration utility.
>>> The driver for my NEW 2200BG is version 9.0.1.9
>>>
>>> Clark
>>>
>>> "tom goc" <tom_goc@hotpop.com> wrote in message

> Disable the 802.1x authentication. You don't need that unless you have
> something like a Radius server. Make sure all your hardware supports
> WPA - older hardware usually doesn't.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
July 20, 2005 4:17:44 AM

tom goc wrote:

> I'm using WPA-PSK and the 802.1x authentication tab on the wireless
> network properties is greyed out. How to disable it?
> All my hardware (router and wireless card on laptop) support WPA.
>
> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> tom goc wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for your reply Clark.
>>>
>>> - If i disable the 802.1x authentication, then can someone leech my
>>> wireless bandwidth?
>>> - I tried using WZC instead, but still have problem. btw, in the
>>> Authentication tab of the network properties, everything is greyed
>>> out. Does that mean that authentication is already turned off as you
>>> suggested?
>>>
>>> Thanks for help!
>>>
>>> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message

>> Disable the 802.1x authentication. You don't need that unless you
>> have something like a Radius server. Make sure all your hardware
>> supports WPA - older hardware usually doesn't.

Sounds like it already is disabled. What I would do instead of worrying
about that is try using Windows to manage your wireless instead of the
Intel PROSet software. See if that helps.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
July 20, 2005 4:17:44 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

>then flip back and forth between MS WZC and Intel ProSet
application, and eventually somehow MS WZC connected for me.>

You understand that only one configuration utility works at a time. If the
WZC is in control, the Intel is disabled. You have to deselect the WZC to
get the Intel utility to work. As I mentioned, I use the Intel utility
because it is the newest and seems to work with this Linksys router.

WPA seems to require 802.1x, so it is working if you are using WAP, along
with a couple of other things, which means it could be causing the problem
if your firmware isn't exactly right. Any chance you could get your hands
on another wireless router that does WPA? You might even try setting your
access point up as a router and not connecting to the modem, just to test
the WPA part. Have you checked to make sure the access point is not having
a problem with the modem/router?

On my router I use WPA PSK-TKIP and Group Key renewal of 3600 (default).
You might check your settings.

> I'm using WPA-PSK and the 802.1x authentication tab on the wireless
> network properties is greyed out. How to disable it?
> All my hardware (router and wireless card on laptop) support WPA.
>
> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> tom goc wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for your reply Clark.
>>>
>>> - If i disable the 802.1x authentication, then can someone leech my
>>> wireless bandwidth?
>>> - I tried using WZC instead, but still have problem. btw, in the
>>> Authentication tab of the network properties, everything is greyed
>>> out. Does that mean that authentication is already turned off as you
>>> suggested?
>>>
>>> Thanks for help!
>>>
>>> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message

>> Disable the 802.1x authentication. You don't need that unless you have
>> something like a Radius server. Make sure all your hardware supports
>> WPA - older hardware usually doesn't.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

July 20, 2005 4:17:44 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

>then flip back and forth between MS WZC and Intel ProSet
application, and eventually somehow MS WZC connected for me.>

You understand that only one configuration utility works at a time. If the
WZC is in control, the Intel is disabled. You have to deselect the WZC to
get the Intel utility to work. As I mentioned, I use the Intel utility
because it is the newest and seems to work with this Linksys router.

WPA seems to require 802.1x, so it is working if you are using WAP, along
with a couple of other things, which means it could be causing the problem
if your firmware isn't exactly right. Any chance you could get your hands
on another wireless router that does WPA? You might even try setting your
access point up as a router and not connecting to the modem, just to test
the WPA part. Have you checked to make sure the access point is not having
a problem with the modem/router?

On my router I use WPA PSK-TKIP and Group Key renewal of 3600 (default).
You might check your settings.

Also, the HotFix you said you had installed, could you post a link to it?

Clark

"tom goc" <tom_goc@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> I'm using WPA-PSK and the 802.1x authentication tab on the wireless
> network properties is greyed out. How to disable it?
> All my hardware (router and wireless card on laptop) support WPA.
>
> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> tom goc wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for your reply Clark.
>>>
>>> - If i disable the 802.1x authentication, then can someone leech my
>>> wireless bandwidth?
>>> - I tried using WZC instead, but still have problem. btw, in the
>>> Authentication tab of the network properties, everything is greyed
>>> out. Does that mean that authentication is already turned off as you
>>> suggested?
>>>
>>> Thanks for help!
>>>
>>> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message

>> Disable the 802.1x authentication. You don't need that unless you have
>> something like a Radius server. Make sure all your hardware supports
>> WPA - older hardware usually doesn't.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 20, 2005 5:52:21 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

The hotfix that I mentioned was supposed to update WPA. It's KB893357
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893357

> >then flip back and forth between MS WZC and Intel ProSet
> application, and eventually somehow MS WZC connected for me.>
>
> You understand that only one configuration utility works at a time. If
> the WZC is in control, the Intel is disabled. You have to deselect the
> WZC to get the Intel utility to work. As I mentioned, I use the Intel
> utility because it is the newest and seems to work with this Linksys
> router.
>
> WPA seems to require 802.1x, so it is working if you are using WAP, along
> with a couple of other things, which means it could be causing the problem
> if your firmware isn't exactly right. Any chance you could get your hands
> on another wireless router that does WPA? You might even try setting your
> access point up as a router and not connecting to the modem, just to test
> the WPA part. Have you checked to make sure the access point is not
> having a problem with the modem/router?
>
> On my router I use WPA PSK-TKIP and Group Key renewal of 3600 (default).
> You might check your settings.
>
> Clark
>

> "tom goc" <tom_goc@hotpop.com> wrote in message
>> I'm using WPA-PSK and the 802.1x authentication tab on the wireless
>> network properties is greyed out. How to disable it?
>> All my hardware (router and wireless card on laptop) support WPA.
>>
>> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message

>>> Disable the 802.1x authentication. You don't need that unless you have
>>> something like a Radius server. Make sure all your hardware supports
>>> WPA - older hardware usually doesn't.
>>>
>>> Malke
>>> --
>>> Elephant Boy Computers
>>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>>> "Don't Panic!"
>>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

July 20, 2005 5:52:22 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

That update is for WPA2--is that what you are trying to use, because it is
different from WPA.

I have no experience with that update. But considering the WPA update wiped
out WEP in some instances, maybe the WPA2 update is messing with the WPA.
If you can't get it to work, uninstall that update.

> The hotfix that I mentioned was supposed to update WPA. It's KB893357
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893357
>

> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>> >then flip back and forth between MS WZC and Intel ProSet
>> application, and eventually somehow MS WZC connected for me.>
>>
>> You understand that only one configuration utility works at a time. If
>> the WZC is in control, the Intel is disabled. You have to deselect the
>> WZC to get the Intel utility to work. As I mentioned, I use the Intel
>> utility because it is the newest and seems to work with this Linksys
>> router.
>>
>> WPA seems to require 802.1x, so it is working if you are using WAP, along
>> with a couple of other things, which means it could be causing the
>> problem if your firmware isn't exactly right. Any chance you could get
>> your hands on another wireless router that does WPA? You might even try
>> setting your access point up as a router and not connecting to the modem,
>> just to test the WPA part. Have you checked to make sure the access
>> point is not having a problem with the modem/router?
>>
>> On my router I use WPA PSK-TKIP and Group Key renewal of 3600 (default).
>> You might check your settings.
>>
>> Clark
>>

>> "tom goc" <tom_goc@hotpop.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm using WPA-PSK and the 802.1x authentication tab on the wireless
>>> network properties is greyed out. How to disable it?
>>> All my hardware (router and wireless card on laptop) support WPA.
>>>
>>> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 21, 2005 12:47:11 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Clark

Thanks for pointing out the difference between WPA and WPA2. Yes, I'll try
removing that update and see if it helps.

!