Worth going to SP1?

Confusedracoon

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
hey all, just a quicky, for ya, is it worth me updating windows 7home premium 64bit to SP1?

i was just checking updates and saw that SP1 was unticked...

i use this pc mainly for heavy gaming, with the rare dab of photo editing.

any point upgrading? or should i just stick with win7 "SP0"?

cheers now

x

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Actually, SP1 for home users is basically all previous patches plus some extra bug fixes. It does have a couple of new features that relate to Win7's interactions with Windows Server 2008 R2, but that's only really relevant in enterprise environments. I did upgrade my PCs to SP1, but only for the sake of having "the latest".
@Kikireeki, do you have a source describing improvements in memory management? I hadn't heard about that.

Confusedracoon

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
well it BSODed at the time i needed to restart to install it and then it kept BSODing untill i booted to safe mode...then it jsut stoped and sulked in a corner. il try again tomorrow at some point =D oh my luck with PC's is crap, but its never boring =DD

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

I remember that controversy... but I think some people were overly concerned. Win7's SuperFetch feature dynamically prefetches commonly used files and stores them in the RAM for fast access. But it doesn't slow performance; if you need that RAM, it drops the prefetched files and hands over the RAM to running programs. Is this what you've experienced? Or something else? And has SP1 improved it for you?