Sign in with
Your question

Second Take: Best Movie-Based Video Games

Last response: in Site Feedback
May 1, 2008 6:30:14 AM

Despite a trend for bad games in this genre, Ben and Rob list their favorite movie-based games from the past 10 years or so.

Watch Video: http://www.tomsgames.com/us/site/flash_videos/second_take_favorite_movie_based_video_games.html

What did we miss? It is a short show....

-Ben
May 1, 2008 11:31:37 AM

Good list... I'm glad you didn't touch on Star Wars. The old LucasArts Indiana Jones adventure games were good back in the day. Apparently Tron 2.0 is supposed to be good, although I never played it. The old Activision Ghostbusters game is definitely one of the best games based on a movie. I also really liked Goonies by Datasoft. And I'm not embarrassed to say I liked Aladdin on Genesis back in the day. Now that I think about it, there were lots of games back in the 80s and early 90s that I liked. Either move-to-game adaptations were better back then when games could be simple and still be fun or I was easily amused as a kid.

Chronicles of Riddick deserves the most praise though. It's amazing how a movie can be so bad but the game can be so good. It was an excellent game and I wish they'd make some sequels to it.
May 1, 2008 11:38:05 PM

Quote:
The old Activision Ghostbusters game is definitely one of the best games based on a movie.

I loved that one too. They were so much easier to make back in the day.

-Ben
Related resources
May 2, 2008 1:09:35 PM

Yeah, the good old Indy adventure games were golden.

Batman for NES is probably on the top of my list though. That game has it all.
May 2, 2008 3:28:00 PM

Very quality list there guys....

I realize that I risk losing all credibility as both a gamer and person above the age of 12, but I thought that Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets on the PC was pretty damned fun. It had a strong console-game feel to it (although it was utterely different form the console version) and it was colorful and filled with secret areas to explore.

I'm bummed out that I never gave the Bladerunner game a go now. I was turned away by some bad press - prolly from PC Gamer magazine (in retrospect, they trashed a lot of good titles).
May 2, 2008 8:15:34 PM

Yeah, I've been meaning to play Blade Runner too. That came out back when I didn't have a good PC and I was mostly using Macs. I missed out on a lot of good PC games during the 90s.
May 2, 2008 9:42:56 PM

Sadly, I didn't mention The Thing for this video -- partly because I forgot, and partly because I had already pimped it out in a previous video on scary games. But that's another great example of using a cult classic as a springboard and making a game that picks up right where the movie left off.
May 3, 2008 4:34:07 PM

The Thing...

I liked the movie but I don't know what special wierdness I had going on with my config, 'cause I could not the game to run for more that three minutes without crashing. Because of the save game system, I could not advance at all and had to return the title (first and only time I ever did so).
!