PC Dieing A Slow Death?

wingsofzion

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Ok my PC has been going through a weird phase i have no idea what's causing the issues.

Specs:
P4 2.80GHZ CPU
Seagate 75GB Drive
1.2GB Kingston DDR 533 Ram
XFX 6600GT

1) When i'd boot up the PC my internet connection will not work. When i'd look into the Network Connection section it will be entirely blank as if i have no modem installed. It would take serveral reboots for it to finally work. Restarting would not fix the issue i'd have to do a full shut down and reboot. At one time i removed the modem drivers and reinstalled the modem. Installation window said things went fine but when i opened the Network Connection window it was blank again. Nothing in the folder at all.

2) This is the most serious. At random times the computer would just slow down. Everything would move in slow motion from mouse movement, programs opening up and windows closing. I'm talking everything at once just turn into mush. It would take 5 whole seconds for my mouse pointer to reach one side of the screen to the other. The entire system would just comes to a slow halt. In the midst of everything moving in slow motion my internet connection would die (i would see programs like yahoo messenger close saying no connection found). When i go to shut down the PC, would has me waiting 3 minutes for the window to actually pop up cause everything in the PC would be running extremely slow, a shutdown would take 10 minutes.

I've done a battery of test from adware scans to virus scans. The problem seems to have popped up out of nowhere. I am trying to avoid a total wipe of my PC's HDD and reinstall windows if a solution can be found to resolve these issues i'm having. I've removed and reinstalled the modem but still problem persist. I'd rather take the thing to the back shed and put one in the back of it's head but i'd rather do that as a final solution.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
What's your mainboard ?

1.2 GB Memory is kind of strange capacity. How many sticks of memory you have ?

What kind of modem you have ?

Does this modem connected to your NIC ?

tcsdoc

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2005
Your pc might not be dying a slow death but your operating system sounds like it's on the way out.

Have you tried a 'refresh' installation of your operating system?