WEP and WAP on same network?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
July 19, 2005 7:44:26 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I was reading a Microsoft bulletin last night and saw something about some
Wireless Access Points could handle both WEP and WAP devices on the same
network (see below).

I have a WEP only Wireless Print Server that I would like to run on my WAP
network. I am using a Linksys WRT54G which does not appear to support both
at the same time. Anyone know anything about dual support for Wireless
security protocols?

Thanks,
Clark

Below was copied from this site:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815485

Supporting a mixture of WPA and WEP wireless clients
To support the gradual transition of WEP-based wireless networks to WPA, a
wireless AP can support both WEP and WPA clients at the same time. During
the association, the wireless AP determines which clients use WEP and which
clients use WPA. The support of a mixture of WEP and WPA clients is
problematic. The global encryption key is not dynamic because WEP-based
clients cannot support it. All other benefits to the WPA clients are
maintained, including integrity.

More about : wep wap network

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 19, 2005 7:44:27 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

there aren't any consumer/residential products that I am aware of that
support both WEP and WPA simultaneously. In fact, your network is only
as secure as your weakest link which would be WEP. Which is too easily
broken.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP