BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
The Inq's Charlie "Bunny Suit" Demerjian has supposedly gotten pics of an AMD run 4x4 system. According to him the system ran relatively cool while performing the usual two games and HD at 100% load.

4x4_system_and_monitor.jpg

4x4_SB_Closeup.jpg

4x4_NB_Closeup.jpg

It looks like this will be out in the next few weeks. Based on the timing of the latest announcements, I'd say the day after C2Q.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I'm not surprised it ran cool with that fan!

The performance of 4 cores isn't in doubt here, but this is still nice to see (if it's real, although I'm not sure how they could really fake that).

I still think it's going to be a lemon though, the price is just so high.

It's interesting that they tried out mega-multitasking, rather than one game on it's own, though; I thought 4x4 was supposed to be for gaming, in which case why not just do what normal people do and run one game at a time?

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
It's interesting that they tried out mega-multitasking, rather than one game on it's own, though; I thought 4x4 was supposed to be for gaming, in which case why not just do what normal people do and run one game at a time?

yeah my computer might be able to play 2 games at a time
but i cant. :lol:

well unless i had 2 keyboards,2 mouse,4 arms and quadcore eyes.LOL!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I'm not surprised it ran cool with that fan!

The performance of 4 cores isn't in doubt here, but this is still nice to see (if it's real, although I'm not sure how they could really fake that).

I still think it's going to be a lemon though, the price is just so high.

AMD described at least one scenarion where you had two instances or WOW running with two different characters.

They also said it WASN'T FOR GAMERS, but "MEGATASKERS" like me. It's interesting how the comparison is made with C2Q. It is just not needed but 4x4 is too hot, too expensive, too this, too that.

That shows bias.

Here's a link to the second demo.

Linkage!

By keeping the pairs at less than $1000 (FX70) which they have said will happen and judging on the price of 5200+ which is almost exactly an FX70 ($399 OEM @ Newegg) they will be around $8-900.

Since Asus is the first manuf and they have a dual socket nForce 2200 (K8N-DL) for $150 @ Monarch, this can be the entry level wksta for a lot of content creators or engrs (3DS Max 8O ).

Here is a quote from Charlie and the link to the story

The 4x4 box seems to be built to push that heat out without melting the screws holding the mobo down, so that is a plus. The case fan on the cover was loafing along at a low speed as well - there was no wind tunnel effect here. The most important thing was the fan on the PSU, it was blowing warm, but just warm. The whole system was quiet, the fans were not on overdrive, and you could not roast marshmallows on the exhaust.

It looks to me like for any decently made 4x4 box, heat in the case won't be a big problem. The bigger question of 'is it for you, or do you want a Kentsfield?' is still up in the air. Stay tuned for that, that is by no means decided.

Linkage!

Since that didn't seem to be an ALienWare system, there will more than likely be models from Monarch, ABS and the rest.

Tom's is reporting that AMD has stockpiled a bunch of these and maybe a reason why this supposed shortage of AM2 is happening. It would be easier to update the AM2s to 1207 than to take Opteron stock and remove the need for Registered RAM.

Again, by having a large supply of FX70 WITH mobos, this will be a boon for high end holiday purchases. I mean realistically, FX70 could come in at $500 less than the same C2Q system.

We'll see though.

I will still be buying it for my next upgrade. I will more than likely wait though until 8800 is less than $400.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
The FX is marketed specifically toward gamers though, is it not?

Workstation users would be running a dual Opteron setup...it seems that 4x4 doesn't really have a place.

And c'mon - 4x4 not marketed at gamers...so those FOUR GRAPHICS CHIPS are just for show??

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
To be fair 4x4 looks to be double the heat and power output of C2Q.

C2Q is a 120W TDP, 4x4 is 125W per CPU (two thereof).

Still 4x4 is basically the same thing as C2Q, as C2Q is teo C2Ds linked over the FSB, and 4x4 is two Opterons linked by HT.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
The FX is marketed specifically toward gamers though, is it not?

Workstation users would be running a dual Opteron setup...it seems that 4x4 doesn't really have a place.

And c'mon - 4x4 not marketed at gamers...so those FOUR GRAPHICS CHIPS are just for show??

Enthusiasts and megataskers do play games, and this is a way to IMMEDIATELY GET 60-80% increase in multithreaded environments, but depending upon the necessity I would recommend this over Opteron.

For a small engr shop that does CFD or modeling I would say go for it, but for something like LucasArts, I would recommend Opteron.

For a small business that needs a less expensive Exchange\Web server, I would recommend 4x4, but for a midsized company's mission critical servers I would recommend Opteron.

For a home based business that needs horsepower and shares a role as a gaming machine, I would recommend 4x4.

Just because it has 4 slot doesn't mean it comes with 4 GPUs. There is no driver that works with 4 GPUs yet anyway (7950GX2 only uses 2 slots). nVidia is working on one and it should land for Vista.

I have an SLI board and only one GPU. My 4x4 setup will only have on DX10 card. I hope this initiative also pushes NICs and sound cards to PCIe as 4 slots are already taken by PCIe.

Anyway, in this case the gaming scores won't go down as they seem to with C2Q.

0,1425,sz=1&i=144625,00.gif

Check out Tom's review from Thurs. It may even gain as adding chips increases bandwidth with AMD.

This shows that AMD is not far behind with FX62 in multithreaded environments and the added bandwidth may allow for MORE than twice the difference in certain situations.

I wouldn't be surprised if the high end switched to two sockets because of 4x4. Especially since you are GUARANTEED octal in 07. By the time 08 gets here, the prices for 8 cores should be the same as highend dual core now.

4x4. A great idea whose time has come. Almost.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
4x4 as a concept is 4 CPU cores and 4 GPU cores, therefore yeah, you do need two dual core (7950GX2-type) cards.

As far as 'for this I'd reccommend 4x4 but for that I'd reccommend Opteron'...as far as I can tell there isn't any reason for any of them to use 4x4 over Opteron in those situations you described. Why would an Exchange server need a Quad-Xf/SLi-type graphics setup?

I'm sorry but I still see no reason for even considering 4x4. If you want to game lots, you can still use Quad-GPU on other boards and save a lot of money on otherwise useless CPU cores. If you really do want quad core as well, then why not get a Clovertown or Kentsfield, for cheaper, less power consumption and cooler running?

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Worthless photos. If they were gonna show photos they could have done us the courtesy of taking the side off of the case. As it is these only insult anyone with half a brain and mild intelligence...

And no - the task manager shot proves nothing as there's no close up of a either the PC's info tab on the machine properties or CPUz info...

So worthless....

I'm not a fanboy of any one company, I go where the best performance for my hard earned $$$ is, my last rig was an AMD, my new ones Intel. That being said AMD's got a long row to hoe, and my prediction for 4x4 is the same as my prediction for Sony's PS3....failure. They should be focusing their effort elsewhere...

dlmacline

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
When I compare 4x4 and Kentsfield

I imagine Kentsfield as the highly designed Ferrari or the Porshe or any kick-ass branded cars with perfect precison while 4x4 is like a Mitsubishi Lancer modified with all those blings and those really noisy motor engines like the ones in the "fast and the furious"..

Yup its ugly to hear that 4x4 might cost you way more in electricity and might burn every hardware that you bought due to heat. But if it comes out pretty impressive than the C2Q counterpart then it is definetly worth taking it since it is the high-end level we are talking about.. people usually dont care for their electric bills when they want even the slightest advantage in their PC on this level of costumers.

Well if I were rich and if its possible to put jet fuel on my Mitsubishi then why not? The same as if I can modify my ferrari withour hurting its class and value then it would be much better :)

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
4x4 as a concept is 4 CPU cores and 4 GPU cores, therefore yeah, you do need two dual core (7950GX2-type) cards.

As far as 'for this I'd reccommend 4x4 but for that I'd reccommend Opteron'...as far as I can tell there isn't any reason for any of them to use 4x4 over Opteron in those situations you described. Why would an Exchange server need a Quad-Xf/SLi-type graphics setup?

I'm sorry but I still see no reason for even considering 4x4. If you want to game lots, you can still use Quad-GPU on other boards and save a lot of money on otherwise useless CPU cores. If you really do want quad core as well, then why not get a Clovertown or Kentsfield, for cheaper, less power consumption and cooler running?

I want it for the CPUs NOT the GPUs. I could care less if they came with 1 PCIe x16. My 4400+ w/7800GT plays Q4/D3 NFS/NAscar, etc. so ONE midrange G80 will be fine for me and use less power, though it will be worth the couple extra bucks for electricity.

I can buy what I want and I want 4x4, thank you.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006

C'mon, you've got to be sh1tting me here BM - please give me a reason that you would choose a 2P Athlon FX platform over a cheaper, cooler, less power hungry and better performing Clovertown or Kentsfield setup?

dlmacline

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
With all these promises of 4x4 and stuff.. I really wonder why tomshardware doesn't have a benchmark test of this platform.. They made a demo on Kentsfield a few months back.Why not also try with 4x4?

I thought they were already out for production release sometime this month

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
We don't know if 4x4 will perform better than Kentsfield or not.

Point taken...okay then BM, let's remove that one for the sake of argument.

Would you rather get 4x4 or a much cheaper, cooler and more efficient system that may or may not perform better?

This isn't counting 2P Woodcrest systems either; not even the Mac Pro is the $4k Charlie D is quoting for a 4x4 system.

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
That's an interesting idea that I never really thought about. You could have 2 characters in Wow running at the same time which would be interesting for some things with online games and I could probably run Eve online as well with this thing :) all at the same time. I know what you mean when you say that this is for mega multitasking. I like to do as much as my computer (and actually way more since my computer sux right now) as is possible. (I'm way to ADA to not multitask since I control it with no drugs)
I just cant wait until I can afford to by something like this (another year or 2 I guess)

We will have to see how the benchies come out on this thing :)!

(good post by the way :p)

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Worthless photos. If they were gonna show photos they could have done us the courtesy of taking the side off of the case. As it is these only insult anyone with half a brain and mild intelligence...

And no - the task manager shot proves nothing as there's no close up of a either the PC's info tab on the machine properties or CPUz info...

So worthless....

I'm not a fanboy of any one company, I go where the best performance for my hard earned $$$ is, my last rig was an AMD, my new ones Intel. That being said AMD's got a long row to hoe, and my prediction for 4x4 is the same as my prediction for Sony's PS3....failure. They should be focusing their effort elsewhere...

Here is a pic I posted a while back.

big_4x4mobo.png

One poster posted the rating of the high end 2xxx/8xxx as 119W and AMD is still growing share with Socket F so this will be like 2x Opteron but more available GPU slots and better tweakability. SInce I may use 100% CPU (one core much less two or four) only for 1 or 2 hours per day, I can set CnQ and have a nice cool idle temp.

Anand reported that FX at 3.0GHz was using 140W @ 100%. I psted the link earlier in another post. I want the 2.6GHz model (FX70) so I'll use maybe 10-20W less.

EIther way it's my electric bill so I'll take my chances.

Quick question or so, will the user have the ability to shut off a processor when its been idle for an extended period of time or when the user sees fit? Or will this be a part of the Cool 'n Quiet?

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

C'mon, you've got to be sh1tting me here BM - please give me a reason that you would choose a 2P Athlon FX platform over a cheaper, cooler, less power hungry and better performing Clovertown or Kentsfield setup?
I can actually understand his decision. Why do people buy a Harley Davidson if they could go twice as fast with a Suzuki?

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
That's stupid. On a bike some people like to risk their lives whereas others like to cruise.

I very much doubt anyone buys a computer because it works at a nice relaxed pace for them to work at.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hi.
Can someone tell me why I should care about the 4x4 ?
How is this any different or better than a 2 socket Mobo with 2 C2Ds ?
I brain fails to understand.

TRENDING THREADS