can't open txt attachments

I got help here about opening jpg attachments, but now I can't open txt
attachments. Any suggestions?
19 answers Last reply
More about open attachments

    As long as IE security is not set to block attachments, the
    text attachment should open using Notepad or WordPad. It is
    possible that the person who sent the attachment said it was
    text, but used a word processor program such as WordPerfect
    and the file has an extension your computer does not
    recognize. Ask the sender what program they used. Either
    have them resend it after they alter the format with a "save
    as" command to plain text or rich text (rtf). Otherwise you
    can get a converter so your word processor can see and open
    the attached file.
    Have you tried saving the attachment to your hard drive and
    then using a right click "open with" to select the program
    to use?

    --
    Merry Christmas
    Have a Safe and Happy New Year

    "Claire Brucker" <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    |I got help here about opening jpg attachments, but now I
    can't open txt
    | attachments. Any suggestions?

    Hi Jim
    I'm not sure I understand all of your message but I tried a few things to no
    avail. Thanks for your help, though.
    Claire

    > As long as IE security is not set to block attachments, the
    > text attachment should open using Notepad or WordPad. It is
    > possible that the person who sent the attachment said it was
    > text, but used a word processor program such as WordPerfect
    > and the file has an extension your computer does not
    > recognize. Ask the sender what program they used. Either
    > have them resend it after they alter the format with a "save
    > as" command to plain text or rich text (rtf). Otherwise you
    > can get a converter so your word processor can see and open
    > the attached file.
    > Have you tried saving the attachment to your hard drive and
    > then using a right click "open with" to select the program
    > to use?
    >

    > --
    > Merry Christmas
    > Have a Safe and Happy New Year
    > Live Long and Prosper
    > Jim Macklin
    >

    > "Claire Brucker" <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > |I got help here about opening jpg attachments, but now I
    > can't open txt
    > | attachments. Any suggestions?

    Attachments can be anything, including a virus. The type of
    file and how to open it is intended to be shown by the file
    extension. But a virus can have forged extensions. For
    security reason Microsoft altered Outlook Express to block
    attachments as the default action. But once you have access
    to the attachment you still need a program that can open and
    read the attachment.

    A text file with a .txt extension should open with either
    Notepad or WordPad, which are part of Windows. But some
    text files could really be coded in such a way that you
    would need a certain program to open the file. You have to
    have that program AND the file extension has to be
    associated with that file and the program for the file to
    open automatically.

    It is possible, for just one example, your friend has Corel
    WordPerfect and has written a book. They want to send you a
    chapter for review. They simply change the file name from
    name.wpd to name.txt and the special coded WP program file
    won't open in the associated text editor (Notepad) and
    because the extension was changed, Corel WordPerfect is not
    associated either. Ergo, it does not open. A .wpd file
    might open in WORD or WP, but you would have to have the
    program and have the file association set or you would have
    to open the program and use the file/open menu to select the
    file.

    As a general rule, NEVER open attachments if you don't have
    a prior arrangement and expect the attachment. Following
    that rule means you can arrange protocols for attachments:
    compatible programs, verification,methods, etc. and that
    will prevent or reduce the problem with opening files
    attachments and virus infection.

    A good practice suggestion to all who may send attachments,
    always include a general description of the attachment,
    program name and a link to a viewer if one is available or
    other instructions on how to open the thing.

    --

    | Hi Jim
    | I'm not sure I understand all of your message but I tried
    a few things to no
    | avail. Thanks for your help, though.
    | Claire

    in message
    | > As long as IE security is not set to block attachments,
    the
    | > text attachment should open using Notepad or WordPad.
    It is
    | > possible that the person who sent the attachment said it
    was
    | > text, but used a word processor program such as
    WordPerfect
    | > and the file has an extension your computer does not
    | > recognize. Ask the sender what program they used.
    Either
    | > have them resend it after they alter the format with a
    "save
    | > as" command to plain text or rich text (rtf). Otherwise
    you
    | > can get a converter so your word processor can see and
    open
    | > the attached file.
    | > Have you tried saving the attachment to your hard drive
    and
    | > then using a right click "open with" to select the
    program
    | > to use?
    | >

    | > --
    | > Merry Christmas
    | > Have a Safe and Happy New Year
    | > Live Long and Prosper
    | > Jim Macklin
    | > --
    | >

    | > "Claire Brucker" <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    | > |I got help here about opening jpg attachments, but now
    | > can't open txt
    | > | attachments. Any suggestions?
    | > |
    | > |

    Hello again,
    It sounds very complicated but I thank you again for your explanations. I
    guess it is not a simple problem.
    Claire
> [...]
    > | > have them resend it after they alter the format with a
    > "save
    > | > as" command to plain text or rich text (rtf). Otherwise
    > you
    > | > can get a converter so your word processor can see and
    > open
    > | > the attached file.
    > | > Have you tried saving the attachment to your hard drive
    > and
    > | > then using a right click "open with" to select the
    > program
    > | > to use?
    > | >

    > | > --
    > | > Merry Christmas
    > | > Have a Safe and Happy New Year
    > | > Live Long and Prosper
    > | > Jim Macklin
    > | > --
    > | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

    It can seem complicated when you begin. And it is hard to
    give the perfectly correct advice when the problem is only
    partially described. But if you could describe it
    perfectly, you would know the answer to the problem.

    --
> [...]
    Following
    | > that rule means you can arrange protocols for
    attachments:
    | > compatible programs, verification,methods, etc. and that
    | > will prevent or reduce the problem with opening files
    | > attachments and virus infection.
    | >
    | > A good practice suggestion to all who may send
    attachments,
    | > always include a general description of the attachment,
    | > program name and a link to a viewer if one is available
    or
    | > other instructions on how to open the thing.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Merry Christmas
    | > Have a Safe and Happy New Year
    | > Live Long and Prosper
    | > Jim Macklin
    | >
    | > "Claire Brucker" <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    | > | Hi Jim
    | > | I'm not sure I understand all of your message but I
    | > |
    | > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote
    | > in message
    attachments,
    | > the
    WordPad.
    | > It is
    | > was
    | > WordPerfect
    | > Either
    | > "save
    Otherwise
    | > you
    | > open
    | > and
    | > program

    overcome.

    message
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    If I get a txt attachment, I left click on it I then get a blank notepad
    page. If I right click and then pick notepad, it doesn't do anything
    either. If I click Open with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer I get a page
    that says there's no preview available.
    I don't know what else I can tell you.
    Claire

> [...]
    > have
    > | > to open the program and use the file/open menu to select
    > the
    > | > file.
    > | >
    > | > As a general rule, NEVER open attachments if you don't
    > have
    > | > a prior arrangement and expect the attachment.
    > Following
    > | > that rule means you can arrange protocols for
    > attachments:
    > | > compatible programs, verification,methods, etc. and that
    > | > will prevent or reduce the problem with opening files
    > | > attachments and virus infection.
    > | >
    > | > A good practice suggestion to all who may send
    > attachments,
    > | > always include a general description of the attachment,
    > | > program name and a link to a viewer if one is available
    > or
    > | > other instructions on how to open the thing.

    Have you contacted the sender and asked them what they sent
    and how to open it?

    How do you know it is a text attachment or that it isn't
    something else?
    Have you tried to save the attachment to your hard drive and
    then open it?
    Have you set the file display properties so that file
    extensions are shown? To do this open Windows Explorer,
    Tools/Folder Options/View and uncheck the item, "hide file
    extensions..."

    Then look at the attachment to see it the file something
    like name.txt.xxx
    If the person who sent the attachment says they didn't send
    it, then you should tell them that they are infected with a
    virus that is sending attachments.

    --
    | If I get a txt attachment, I left click on it I then get a
    blank notepad
    | page. If I right click and then pick notepad, it doesn't
    do anything
    | either. If I click Open with Windows Picture and Fax
    Viewer I get a page
    | that says there's no preview available.
    | I don't know what else I can tell you.
    | Claire

    in message
    | > It can seem complicated when you begin. And it is hard
    | > give the perfectly correct advice when the problem is
    only
    | > partially described. But if you could describe it
    | > perfectly, you would know the answer to the problem.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Merry Christmas
    | > Have a Safe and Happy New Year
    | > Live Long and Prosper
    | > Jim Macklin
    | > "Claire Brucker" <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    | > | Hello again,
    | > | It sounds very complicated but I thank you again for
    your
    | > explanations. I
    | > | guess it is not a simple problem.
    | > | Claire
    | > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote
    | > in message
    | > type of
    | > file
    For
    | > block
    have
    | > access
    | > and

    | > either

    | > Corel
    | > you a
    name
    | > from
    program
    | > file
    and
    | > not
    | > have
    | > the

    | > have
    | > Following
    | > attachments:
    files

    | > attachments,
    attachment,
    available
    | > or

    message
    | > tried
    | > | > |
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    | > wrote
    | > attachments,
    | > WordPad.
    | > said it
    used.
    | > Otherwise
    | > and
    | > drive

    | > rights;
    | > overcome.

    | > message
    | > now
    | > | > | > |
    | > | > | > |

    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    In news:%23G0s20v4EHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> typed:

    > If I get a txt attachment, I left click on it I then get a
    > blank
    > notepad page. If I right click and then pick notepad, it
    > doesn't do
    > anything either.

    *All* txt attachments, or one in particular? It sounds very much
    like you're trying to open an attachment with a txt extension,
    that's *not a text file.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Hello Ken,
    I don't know if my problem applies to *all* txt attachments. I have had
    very few of them and so I can't tell. They all come from someone I know who
    sends me jokes and sometimes they are in the form of attachments.
    Claire

    > In news:%23G0s20v4EHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> typed:
    >
    >> If I get a txt attachment, I left click on it I then get a blank
    >> notepad page. If I right click and then pick notepad, it doesn't do
    >> anything either.
    >

    > *All* txt attachments, or one in particular? It sounds very much like
    > you're trying to open an attachment with a txt extension, that's *not a
    > text file.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    Claire, I'm going to send you an email with a text
    attachment. It will be just a few words typed using
    Notepad, I won't include any thing else. Post back here and
    let us know if it opens OK or if you have problems. Also,
    report any error messages. You should also contact
    RoadRunner NYC help because it is possible they are
    stripping attachments. I presume you are using Outlook
    Express or a version modified by RR, let us know exactly
    what you are using and we can advise on any settings and
    security changes you may need to make.

    --

    | Hello Ken,
    | I don't know if my problem applies to *all* txt
    attachments. I have had
    | very few of them and so I can't tell. They all come from
    someone I know who
    | sends me jokes and sometimes they are in the form of
    attachments.
    | Claire
    |

    | "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
    message
    | > In news:%23G0s20v4EHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    | > Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> typed:
    | >
    | >> If I get a txt attachment, I left click on it I then
    get a blank
    | >> notepad page. If I right click and then pick notepad,
    it doesn't do
    | >> anything either.
    | >

    | > *All* txt attachments, or one in particular? It sounds
    very much like
    | > you're trying to open an attachment with a txt
    extension, that's *not a
    | > text file.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    | > Please reply to the newsgroup

    In news:u5kIHAx4EHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> typed:

    > Hello Ken,
    > I don't know if my problem applies to *all* txt attachments. I
    > have
    > had very few of them and so I can't tell. They all come from
    > someone
    > I know who sends me jokes and sometimes they are in the form of
    > attachments.

    Then try this: open notepad, type a word or two of text, and save
    the results in a .txt file. Send that file to yourself as an
    attachment. When you get it, try to open it, and report back here
    on what happens.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    >> In news:%23G0s20v4EHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    >> Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> If I get a txt attachment, I left click on it I then get a
    >>> blank
    >>> notepad page. If I right click and then pick notepad, it
    >>> doesn't do
    >>> anything either.
    >>

    >> *All* txt attachments, or one in particular? It sounds very
    >> much like
    >> you're trying to open an attachment with a txt extension,
    >> that's
    >> *not a text file.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    She was able to open my attachment OK, so as you suggested,
    the TXT files she is getting are likely NOT text files.
    Whether they are just wrongly renamed or harmful viruses, I
    don't know.
    Here is what I sent as an attachment, inserted here...
    Drinking
    Comic Quotes

    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up
    in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all
    day. " Frank Sinatra
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up
    reading." Henny Youngman
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think
    not." Stephen Wright
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of
    mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a
    fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well
    with pizza." Dave Barry
    Remember "I" before "E," except in Budweiser. To some it's a
    six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can!
    And saving the best for last, As explained by Cliff Clavin,
    of Cheers One afternoon at Cheers, Cliff Clavin was
    explaining the Buffalo Theory to his buddy Norm. Here's how
    it went: "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of
    buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And
    when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones
    at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is
    good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and
    health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular
    killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the
    human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain
    cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain
    cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest
    brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer
    eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster
    and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel
    smarter after a few beers."

    --
    message news:%23$fRNlx4EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    | In news:u5kIHAx4EHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    | Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> typed:
    |
    | > Hello Ken,
    | > I don't know if my problem applies to *all* txt
    attachments. I
    | > have
    | > had very few of them and so I can't tell. They all come
    from
    | > someone
    | > I know who sends me jokes and sometimes they are in the
    form of
    | > attachments.
    |

    | Then try this: open notepad, type a word or two of text,
    and save
    | the results in a .txt file. Send that file to yourself as
    an
    | attachment. When you get it, try to open it, and report
    back here
    | on what happens.
    |
    | --
    | Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    | Please reply to the newsgroup
    |

    | > "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
    message
    | >> In news:%23G0s20v4EHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    | >> Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> typed:

    | >> *All* txt attachments, or one in particular? It sounds
    very
    | >> much like
    | >> you're trying to open an attachment with a txt
    extension,
    | >> that's
    | >> *not a text file.
    | >>
    | >> --
    | >> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    | >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    Hello Jim,
    I have tried saving the attachment to my hard drive but still couldn't open
    it. I told the sender that I couldn't open it and not to send me any more
    txt attachments. As for the other suggestions, I couldn't do them.
    Claire

> [...]
    > Live Long and Prosper
    > Jim Macklin
    > "Claire Brucker" <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > | If I get a txt attachment, I left click on it I then get a
    > blank notepad
    > | page. If I right click and then pick notepad, it doesn't
    > do anything
    > | either. If I click Open with Windows Picture and Fax
    > Viewer I get a page
    > | that says there's no preview available.
    > | I don't know what else I can tell you.
    > | Claire
    > |
    > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    > in message
    > | > It can seem complicated when you begin. And it is hard
    > | > give the perfectly correct advice when the problem is
    > only
    > | > partially described. But if you could describe it
    > | > perfectly, you would know the answer to the problem.

    Hi Jim,
    I was able to open the beery stuff. I use Eudora for my mail but sometimes
    get mail at Outlook Express. If I check Outlook Express for mail before I
    check Eudora, the mail is there. If I check Eudora first, it is at Eudora.
    How come I was able to get your email attachment and not others?

    > Claire, I'm going to send you an email with a text
    > attachment. It will be just a few words typed using
    > Notepad, I won't include any thing else. Post back here and
    > let us know if it opens OK or if you have problems. Also,
    > report any error messages. You should also contact
    > RoadRunner NYC help because it is possible they are
    > stripping attachments. I presume you are using Outlook
    > Express or a version modified by RR, let us know exactly
    > what you are using and we can advise on any settings and
    > security changes you may need to make.
    >
    > --
    > Merry Christmas
    > Have a Safe and Happy New Year
    > Live Long and Prosper
    > Jim Macklin
    >
    > "Claire Brucker" <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > | Hello Ken,
    > | I don't know if my problem applies to *all* txt
    > attachments. I have had
    > | very few of them and so I can't tell. They all come from
    > someone I know who
    > | sends me jokes and sometimes they are in the form of
    > attachments.
    > | Claire
    > |

    > | "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
    > message
    > | > In news:%23G0s20v4EHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > | > Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> typed:

    > get a blank
    > it doesn't do
    > | >

    > | > *All* txt attachments, or one in particular? It sounds
    > very much like
    > | > you're trying to open an attachment with a txt
    > extension, that's *not a
    > | > text file.
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    > | > Please reply to the newsgroup

    I suspect that the files are not really text files, possibly
    they are viruses or some type of coded file that can't be
    displayed by a simple text editor, as was suggested before.

    Your friend may be infected and not know it, or may have
    used some program unknowingly to create what they thought
    was a text file or they may have renamed a file as a text
    file, not knowing that will make some files unusable. If
    you have ever renamed a file, you'll remember that you get a
    warning about changing a file extension making the file
    un-operable.

    I don't use Eudora, but using RR as your ISP you are using
    POP mail so the first application that connects to the email
    server downloads the file from the server to your computer
    and it is deleted from the RR servers. If you want to keep
    a copy of your email on a server, you can change the
    account, if the ISP supports it, to IMAP and then your email
    will stay on the server, or you can set the email properties
    to "leave a copy on the server" by going to the email
    account properties and the advanced tab.

    I think, short of a visit from a geek, we have "solved" your
    problem as best we can as far as text file attachments.

    Jim
    | Hi Jim,
    | I was able to open the beery stuff. I use Eudora for my
    mail but sometimes
    | get mail at Outlook Express. If I check Outlook Express
    for mail before I
    | check Eudora, the mail is there. If I check Eudora first,
    it is at Eudora.
    | How come I was able to get your email attachment and not
    others?
    | Claire
    |
    | Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    in message
    | > Claire, I'm going to send you an email with a text
    | > attachment. It will be just a few words typed using
    | > Notepad, I won't include any thing else. Post back here
    and
    | > let us know if it opens OK or if you have problems.
    Also,
    | > report any error messages. You should also contact
    | > RoadRunner NYC help because it is possible they are
    | > stripping attachments. I presume you are using Outlook
    | > Express or a version modified by RR, let us know exactly
    | > what you are using and we can advise on any settings and
    | > security changes you may need to make.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Merry Christmas
    | > Have a Safe and Happy New Year
    | > Live Long and Prosper
    | > Jim Macklin
    | >
    | > "Claire Brucker" <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    | > | Hello Ken,
    | > | I don't know if my problem applies to *all* txt
    | > attachments. I have had
    | > | very few of them and so I can't tell. They all come
    from
    | > someone I know who
    | > | sends me jokes and sometimes they are in the form of
    | > attachments.
    | > | Claire
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote
    in
    | > message

    | > get a blank
    notepad,
    | > it doesn't do

    sounds
    | > very much like
    | > extension, that's *not a

    | > |
    | > |

    Hello Ken,
    I'm afraid I don't know how to do what you sugggested. I am really quite an
    illiterate when it comes to computers.Can you be more specific as to how I
    save results of my few typed words in Notepad to a .txt file and then send
    it to myself. I can't seem to be able to do it. I feel real stupid.
    Claire

    In news:%23DSLfwx4EHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    Jim Macklin <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> typed:

    > She was able to open my attachment OK, so as you suggested,
    > the TXT files she is getting are likely NOT text files.

    Yes, I saw your message after I sent mine. No need for her to do
    it again.

    > Whether they are just wrongly renamed or harmful viruses, I
    > don't know.

    Yes, they could be either.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    >| In news:u5kIHAx4EHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    >| Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> typed:
    >|
    >| > Hello Ken,
    >| > I don't know if my problem applies to *all* txt
    >attachments. I
    >| > have
    >| > had very few of them and so I can't tell. They all come
    >from
    >| > someone
    >| > I know who sends me jokes and sometimes they are in the form
    >of
    >| > attachments.
    >|

    >| Then try this: open notepad, type a word or two of text, and
    >save
    >| the results in a .txt file. Send that file to yourself as an
    >| attachment. When you get it, try to open it, and report back
    >here
    >| on what happens.
    >|
    >| --
    >| Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    >| Please reply to the newsgroup
    >|

    >| > "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
    >message

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    In news:u3WYGCy4EHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> typed:

    > Hello Ken,
    > I'm afraid I don't know how to do what you sugggested. I am
    > really
    > quite an illiterate when it comes to computers.Can you be more
    > specific as to how I save results of my few typed words in
    > Notepad to
    > a .txt file and then send it to myself. I can't seem to be
    > able to
    > do it. I feel real stupid. Claire

    Being a beginner doesn't make you stupid. We all start out as a
    beginner and have to learn.

    But what I suggested isn't necessary. Jim did it for you by
    sending you a txt file he created. No need to do the same thing
    again.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    >> In news:u5kIHAx4EHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    >> Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> Hello Ken,
    >>> I don't know if my problem applies to *all* txt attachments.
    >>> I have
    >>> had very few of them and so I can't tell. They all come from
    >>> someone I know who sends me jokes and sometimes they are in
    >>> the
    >>> form of attachments.
    >>

    >> Then try this: open notepad, type a word or two of text, and
    >> save the
    >> results in a .txt file. Send that file to yourself as an
    >> attachment.
    >> When you get it, try to open it, and report back here on what
    >> happens.
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup
    >>

    >>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
    >>> message

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    --
    message news:OZnEGr44EHA.3388@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    | In news:%23DSLfwx4EHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    | Jim Macklin <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> typed:
    |
    | > She was able to open my attachment OK, so as you
    suggested,
    | > the TXT files she is getting are likely NOT text files.
    |

    | Yes, I saw your message after I sent mine. No need for her
    to do
    | it again.
    |

    | > Whether they are just wrongly renamed or harmful
    viruses, I
    | > don't know.
    |

    | Yes, they could be either.
    |
    | --
    | Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    | Please reply to the newsgroup
    |

    | >| In news:u5kIHAx4EHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    | >| Claire Brucker <cbrucker@nyc.rr.com> typed:
    | >|
    | >attachments. I
    | >from
    | >of
    | >|
    | >|
    | >| Then try this: open notepad, type a word or two of
    text, and
    | >save
    | >| the results in a .txt file. Send that file to yourself
    as an
    | >| attachment. When you get it, try to open it, and report
    back
    | >here
    | >| on what happens.
    | >|
    | >| --
    | >| Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    | >| Please reply to the newsgroup
    | >|
    | >|
    | >|