Sign in with
Your question

Sony Vaio Can't Find Operating System

Last response: in Windows 7
June 10, 2011 12:22:02 PM

I have a 8-month-old Sony Vaio, running Windows 7 x64. The last couple weeks, it does this thing, where the screen goes totally black, and it says, "Can't Find Operating System". The only way to get out of this black screen/error message, is to turn the laptop off. When I turn it back on, it seems fine (except, it does seem to be running slower), but, the next day, there is the black screen/error message again.

I don't know a lot about computers, so these are the only things I could think of trying: running disk check, running sfc/ runnow, checking for viruses, and doing a quick diagnostic check on the HD (using Vaio Care). Nothing. I took it to a tech, who said I clearly took good care of my laptop, inside and out, and he could not figure out what was wrong with it. His only idea was to wipe it back to out-of-box, using F10. Before I go through all that, I thought I would post here, and see if anyone has any other ideas I could try.

One other thing: the tech checked the even logs, and he couldn't seem to find this problem of mine listed anywhere on there. As I said, I don't know much about computers, so I don't know if that means anything or not. (Or, for all I know, he just wasn't looking carefully, and it is there. But it seemed he couldn't find it - he started acting like I made the whole thing up).

Thank you very much. And so sorry if this is in the wrong place - since I have no idea what's wrong with the computer, it's hard to know what category to post it in.
a b $ Windows 7
June 10, 2011 4:29:49 PM

Try booting to your win 7 disk and chose startup and repair to see if this will fix your problem.
m
l
June 18, 2011 9:27:40 AM

almartin said:
Try booting to your win 7 disk and chose startup and repair to see if this will fix your problem.

I don't know a lot about computers, so this might be a dumb response, but I'll say it anyway: I don't have a Windows 7 disk; mine is a pre-install. Unless you mean to just tap F10 during boot-up?
m
l
!