8800GTX vs X1950XTX preliminary benchmarks out

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
It looks like those graphics PSUs are going to start becoming more useful with this new generation of GPUs.

Great looking figures though, nearly doubling the FPS count for the 1950XTX in HL2 and Quake 4 is very impressive.

sailer

Splendid
Very good numbers indeed. Wish there was a comparison to ATI's R600. Also not clear if they used XP or Vista RC1/2 for the OS. Either way, very good, very good numbers. Makes my present card look old and outdated.

One bad point though, that inch and a half longer. That's going to be a tight fit in the case.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
To be honest though this benchmark is pretty meaningless, just like 7800GTX vs X850PE was when the 7800GTX came out.

Yeah, it owned it, no, it wasnt surprising.

Lets hope R600 isnt as late as x1800 was, as for the next couple of months nVidia is the undisputed performance champion.

pauldh

Illustrious
Nice find; just 4 days early. :oops:

I expected the first e-sites to have them for more $. I wonder if it's a $600 or $650 list price.

So who is going to order one tonight so we can see if they get a shipping confirmation. :D

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I still have mine in the cart at $625, but they don't take paypal, and I have way too much sitting in that account.

Says 1-2 day processing, another 1-2 days to ship, just about the eighth.

pauldh

Illustrious
EWiz has always been slow to ship orders from my experiences. Usually for me in NJ, it's a couple days before they ship and 1 week from submitting my order before I get the package.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Have seen rumored pricing ranging from $599 US to $799. At this point its hard to tell what it will really be priced at on e-tailers once they get actual stock in their hands. :?

Likely to be on the high end for a few weeks like the C2Ds were at first then settle down. Unless Nvidia has a nice stock of them going to vendors all at once right at release(unlikely). Oh well either way it looks to be a great card at least :)

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Yeah, incredible cards. Although still no word on the GTS? I know that it's like a downgrade from the GTX, but I haven't seen any benchies. Anyone know where I can find any?

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Several sites set the LIST at $649 for GTX, and $499 for the GTS.

The core 2 duos actually came out of the launch at reasonable prices, except at newegg, which was WAY higher than the other street prices.

5 days later,most street prices were at or above the eggs price.

I bought my e6600 2 days after launch, at a good price, after my launch day order with Monarch fell through.

Difference here is I had the Benchies, ad nauseum, about how good the chip was. Multiple sites, in depth stuff. For ALL four processors against a lot of previous intel and AMD hot chips.

Here we are three (3) days from launch, and we got one bench against last generation games.

WHERE is all the pre launch publicity? Nvidia has been very quiet about this one.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4812

Impressive, particularly on the power consumption considering the leap in performance.

Roll on R600 :)
Good review but worthless as the G80 will have to compete against ATI's in crossfire. ATI will reduce prices so I would like to see it up agianst a crossfire setup.

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Good review but worthless as the G80 will have to compete against ATI's in crossfire. ATI will reduce prices so I would like to see it up agianst a crossfire setup.

The review isn't worthless. An 8800GTX is more closely related to a single X1950XTX than two of them; e.g. look at power consumption, PCIE slots used, cost etc. Of course, the more important long term comparison may be R600 vs G80, but that's a moot point for now.
Synergy6

The review isn't worthless. An 8800GTX is more closely related to a single X1950XTX than two of them; e.g. look at power consumption, PCIE slots used, cost etc. Of course, the more important long term comparison may be R600 vs G80, but that's a moot point for now.
Synergy6
Not true due to the fastest ATI crossfire with 2 gpu is on the 1900XTX's using CF. This setup is second in the chart and the 1950XTX is sixth. This setup also has about the same power requirements and soundly beats the 1950xtx.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=586&model2=546&chart=196