WEP encryption

Archived from groups: (More info?)

O/S Windows XP home SP2
Router: D-Link G604T (wireless)
Laptop: D-Link AirG+ 56mb wireless
PC : Belking 54mb wireless

Hi

Can anybody help me understand how to secure my wireless network/internet
using WEP (or WPA)
I have read all the instructions etc But I can't get anything to stick or
work ??
Can anybody explain how to set it up on my laptop/desktop & router in a
language I can understand ? LOL

many thanks

Justin
1 answer Last reply
More about encryption
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    admin@redscab.co.uk wrote:

    > O/S Windows XP home SP2
    > Router: D-Link G604T (wireless)
    > Laptop: D-Link AirG+ 56mb wireless
    > PC : Belking 54mb wireless
    >
    > Hi
    >
    > Can anybody help me understand how to secure my wireless
    > network/internet using WEP (or WPA)
    > I have read all the instructions etc But I can't get anything to stick
    > or work ??
    > Can anybody explain how to set it up on my laptop/desktop & router in
    > a language I can understand ? LOL
    >

    > many thanks
    >
    > Justin

    Here are links to help you:

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

    You first need to determine if your hardware - all parts: the router and
    the network adapter card(s) - support WPA. If one part does *not*, you
    will need to either update its firmware and/or drivers or just use WEP.
    You will set your router up (usually from a browser - consult the
    manual) and select your encryption method and key. Most often you will
    enter a passphrase to generate a key. You will not use the passphrase
    again - you will enter the key on the laptop.

    If you want more specific help, please post back with more details such
    as what "can't get anything to stick" etc. actually means. What are you
    doing? What error messages do you get (exact text, please)?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

Configuration Routers D-Link Wireless Networking