Log on

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have logged on today and can see it loads my personal settings but then
come up with "can't load personal local settings. Error may include security
rights or corrupt file", then it load a temp setting which will not be saved
on logging off.
How can I fix this?

Thanks.

On another issue, as this is just a home computer how do I not log on, but
just have it open to the desk top?
3 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Try treating this as a corrupt user profile, see the following Knowledge
    Base Article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q318011

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "SorryTo Ask" <sorry@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
    >I have logged on today and can see it loads my personal settings but then
    > come up with "can't load personal local settings. Error may include
    > security
    > rights or corrupt file", then it load a temp setting which will not be
    > saved
    > on logging off.
    > How can I fix this?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > On another issue, as this is just a home computer how do I not log on, but
    > just have it open to the desk top?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Thanks Michael
    I will try that. How can I just get the desk top without
    logging in?

    > Try treating this as a corrupt user profile, see the following Knowledge
    > Base Article:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q318011
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "SorryTo Ask" <sorry@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
    > >I have logged on today and can see it loads my personal settings but
    then
    > > come up with "can't load personal local settings. Error may include
    > > security
    > > rights or corrupt file", then it load a temp setting which will not be
    > > saved
    > > on logging off.
    > > How can I fix this?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > On another issue, as this is just a home computer how do I not log on,
    but
    > > just have it open to the desk top?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    At the moment you can't. Once you are logged in to an administrator
    account, do the following:

    Go to Start and type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes in the run
    box and press enter.

    Uncheck the option to require a logon, click "apply" and follow the prompts
    to setup an autologon.

    --

    > Thanks Michael
    > I will try that. How can I just get the desk top without
    > logging in?
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> Try treating this as a corrupt user profile, see the following Knowledge
    >> Base Article:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q318011
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "SorryTo Ask" <sorry@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
    >> >I have logged on today and can see it loads my personal settings but
    > then
    >> > come up with "can't load personal local settings. Error may include
    >> > security
    >> > rights or corrupt file", then it load a temp setting which will not be
    >> > saved
    >> > on logging off.
    >> > How can I fix this?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> >
    >> > On another issue, as this is just a home computer how do I not log on,
    > but
    >> > just have it open to the desk top?

Computers Microsoft Windows XP