XP won't recognize new DVD+/-RW drive

Greetings. I am installing a Lite-On SHM-165H6S in a friends computer. XP only recognizes it as a cdrom, and occasionally will reboot when installing the driver. I tried to update the IDE driver, but still no luck. The motherboard is an ECS K7S5A. It has run flawlessly until this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
7 answers Last reply
More about recognize drive
  1. master/slave jumpers on botn drives are set correctly? does the Bios see it?
  2. Maybe the balance was tipped on powersupply when adding that device.

I assume jumper settings are correct on ALL the ide devices. Some harddives have jumper settings for: master, slave, or master-alone, or master + slave.

Please give more info on exactly what is connected on the ide channels

what is on ide channel 1 and 0? And what are the jumper setting options and what jumpers do you currently have shorted out on each device.

I find its better to have all cd/dvd devices on one ide channel and harddrives on another. Sometime you will run into problems mixing dvd/cd and harddrives on the same ide channel

What processor is on that k7 board?

cheers
  3. hi~
    do you try to change other IDE cable port to testing?
  4. On this ide channel there is a Asus combo drive, and the burner, the other only has the hard drive. Bios sees the RW drive, but not the combo drive which has been there from the start. I know the RW drive is set to slave because I checked when I put it in. So the jumpers are ok.
  5. but is the other one set to master, it could be set of cable select, or slave and it would have previously worked quite happily.
  6. try taking out the combo drive to see what happens

was the burner an oem product? Try using the cables provided with it if you bought a boxed version.

is it possible the cables arent properly seated?
  7. Quote:
    On this ide channel there is a Asus combo drive, and the burner, the other only has the hard drive. Bios sees the RW drive, but not the combo drive which has been there from the start. I know the RW drive is set to slave because I checked when I put it in. So the jumpers are ok.

Step one, right off the bat, is to try the Lite-on ALONE! Does it work as a single Master? No other device on the cable? That will obviate any issues related to Bios incompatibility and drivers. Get it going as a single THEN worry about it sharing the channel with another Atapi device. Many writers/DVD/CDroms don't work well together.

I also have that Liteon model. It will work as a slave to a BenQ DW1640, but neither device works properly with the Liteon as master and the BenQ as Slave.
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Writers Computer Windows XP Storage