Sign in with
Your question

Has my old Prescott 2.8 ghz some juice left?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 4, 2006 3:23:43 PM

Hello everyone!

I am about to begin my first serious overclocking/upgrade project, but first of all I think I need some advice to take the right decision.

My rig is a Pentium 4 (Prescott 533FSB) @ 2.8 ghz, no HT socket 478 with 384 mb of DDR RAM (128 + 256kingston ValuRam) PC2100 and a PCCHIPS M909 MoBo (I know it´s an awful MoBo :oops:  , that's why i'm thinking in the upgrade). I have a GeForce FX 5950 Ultra from PNY and a lame 280 WATT OEM PSU.

Since i have no experience in overclocking (other than smaller OC on my office garbage PC's) any comment will be thanked, specially if you can refer me to an overclocking guide!

I recently read in the 4Ghz CPU project about the importance of high multiplier values for a successful overclocking so i ran cpu-z on my pc and found that my CPU has a multiplier value of 21x!!! :lol: 

If you think i need to post any more info to help me out please tell me so i can update the post.
November 5, 2006 1:33:27 AM

for just an overclocking experiment, looks like all you need is faster ram (you will likely hit the wall with multipliers on DDR2100), a better PSU (something in the 450 watt range should be more then enough), and a hell of alot of cooling. otherwise post what you get, should be interesting. and 21x is a good multiplier to be able to mess with.
November 5, 2006 3:55:51 AM

Thanks for your comments, i'll like to add some more info 'bout my system:
According to cpu-z, i'm running at 1.2 v and have this timings on my memory 2.5,3,3,7, DRAM idle Timer 16 clocks and FSB:D RAM 1:1.

Now i know i must change the MoBo, for the frecuency modifier is locked and i can't change anything, any suggestions on MoBos will surely be wellcome. About the cooling im planning to use a JET 4 ICB-V83 Cooler Master HSF and i'm thinking about buying a KMEX PZ650/24/P PSU, has anyone heard of it :? ?

I also have a spare kingston 256mb ValuRam PC 2700 stick, but since i couldn't make it to work with the other sticks because of the speed differences y put it on my lil bro's PC.
Related resources
November 5, 2006 5:18:39 AM

8O man, forget about ocing this, you need a c2d
November 9, 2006 2:54:40 PM

Quote:
8O man, forget about ocing this, you need a c2d

Let me make something clear:
In my country good processors are awfully pricey, so I am not willing to pay for a $400+ ET6300 c2d :roll: if I'm not confident about not blasting it on the first try.

That's why I'm trying to OC my actual PC, to get a little more experience under my belt. Remember, I'm no OC enthusiast, this is my first serious attempt.

Thanks for the posts, I hope someone is kind enough to point me out some good MoBos for OCing, mine is Intel-based so it has the frecuency and voltage modifiers locked.
November 9, 2006 8:10:47 PM

Quote:
Hello everyone!

I am about to begin my first serious overclocking/upgrade project, but first of all I think I need some advice to take the right decision.

My rig is a Pentium 4 (Prescott 533FSB) @ 2.8 ghz, no HT socket 478 with 384 mb of DDR RAM (128 + 256kingston ValuRam) PC2100 and a PCCHIPS M909 MoBo (I know it´s an awful MoBo :oops:  , that's why i'm thinking in the upgrade). I have a GeForce FX 5950 Ultra from PNY and a lame 280 WATT OEM PSU.

Since i have no experience in overclocking (other than smaller OC on my office garbage PC's) any comment will be thanked, specially if you can refer me to an overclocking guide!

I recently read in the 4Ghz CPU project about the importance of high multiplier values for a successful overclocking so i ran cpu-z on my pc and found that my CPU has a multiplier value of 21x!!! :lol: 

If you think i need to post any more info to help me out please tell me so i can update the post.

Yup, I'm still hoping I can find a good Socket 478 MoBo for my rig, any suggestions :?:
November 9, 2006 8:48:23 PM

- Don't spend nothing on 478
- Wait a few months till you can afford a 965 board or i810.
- Buy E6300 B Stepping.
- Buy Cheap but good DDR2 667 Ram
- Overclock till you get around 60c in iTAT or CoreTemp at full load.

Enjoy.

I just run SuperPI on my dell at 2.8 with 1gb of ram. i manage to do a 32M Run in 40m when in my C2D 6400 overclocked i do it in 15m

You can spend a little now and a little then, sooner or later that is going to be money sent to the trash bin.
November 9, 2006 10:16:40 PM

Hey thanks for the advice pancito, anyway until I can cough up the $400 for the E6300 I'm stuck with my prescott, the only problem is I can't find any 478 MoBo that doesn't have an intel chipset, for they are locked for OC.

Remember this is my first OC attempt, so I would be really upset if I toast a pricey Processor, that's why I want to try first with my current PC.
November 9, 2006 11:04:27 PM

its difficult to toast anything in small steps.

Is your motherboard Rev 1 or Rev 5? (According to PCCHIPS Site.)

go in to bios and try manual settings if it has something like that. and up the FSB if you can.

Chipsets are not lock down (Intel Chipset that you have) BIOS don't have options for overclocking so try and find your board and see if someone else has done something like that.

I still say save your money.
November 10, 2006 1:27:22 PM

My MoBo is Rev 5, but the only difference is the 5.1 channel audio actually, the problem is when i get into the BIOS, in the CPU pnp features menu everything appears as locked, the FSB frecuency and the vcore settings. Is there any way i can bypass this? perhaps with some software? Thanks for the reply.

Saludos
November 10, 2006 3:31:39 PM

Quote:
My MoBo is Rev 5, but the only difference is the 5.1 channel audio actually, the problem is when i get into the BIOS, in the CPU pnp features menu everything appears as locked, the FSB frecuency and the vcore settings. Is there any way i can bypass this? perhaps with some software? Thanks for the reply.

Saludos

its your BIOS, you can try finding the current version of the BIOS for your motherboard and flashing your motherboard to see if it will unlock those options. i think your best bet tho is to find a motherboard that has been reviewed so you know it has overclocking options in the BIOS.
November 10, 2006 6:12:38 PM

Quote:
its your BIOS, you can try finding the current version of the BIOS for your motherboard and flashing your motherboard to see if it will unlock those options. i think your best bet tho is to find a motherboard that has been reviewed so you know it has overclocking options in the BIOS.

I tried flashing the BIOS, but the only improvement was little better timings with the mem, i'm still unable to manually set anything that has to do with the processor.

Alas :D  , i have found two possible candidates for MoBo replacement: Biostar P4M80-M4, ChipSet VIA P4M800 ($40) and Intel 865 PERL (98 bucks), although i think the Intel one is way better in many things, I'm afraid it probably will have the same problem as with my current MoBo (no FSB or Vcore manual settings)

Any comments? which is the better option for overclocking and why?

Saludos

P. S. There is an A Open AX4 PER-N MoBo too (35 bucks), it has more memory slots than the Biostar but no SATA, should I consider it an option too?
November 10, 2006 8:26:18 PM

Quote:

I tried flashing the BIOS, but the only improvement was little better timings with the mem, i'm still unable to manually set anything that has to do with the processor.

Alas :D  , i have found two possible candidates for MoBo replacement: Biostar P4M80-M4, ChipSet VIA P4M800 ($40) and Intel 865 PERL (98 bucks), although i think the Intel one is way better in many things, I'm afraid it probably will have the same problem as with my current MoBo (no FSB or Vcore manual settings)

Saludos

P. S. There is an A Open AX4 PER-N MoBo too (35 bucks), it has more memory slots than the Biostar but no SATA, should I consider it an option too?

they both will likely have over clocking options, google the boards and try to find a reveiw.
November 10, 2006 8:49:24 PM

If you're going to try OCing that thing, you'll want to at least invest in a better motherboard and power supply, if not more RAM, as well. With decent cooling, you should be able to hit ~3.5GHz, but for 4GHz+, you might need water cooling. At teh very least, get some Arctic Silver thermal grease; you might want to get a cheap aftermarket HS/F, as well.
November 11, 2006 2:10:05 AM

Quote:
KaizenSama: About the cooling im planning to use a JET 4 ICB-V83 Cooler Master HSF and i'm thinking about buying a KMEX PZ650/24/P PSU, has anyone heard of it :? ?

I'm definitely buying more mem, and the MoBo thing is a must, did you read my last post? I was talking about possible MoBos for my project.

Quote:

Saludos

Just a reminder: I can't change my Processor for now, as any c2d, even the E6400 is over $400+ in my country, that's why i'm trying to OC my current rig, also, as this is my first serious OC attempt i'm pretty afraid of toasting a new processor.

Thanks for the reply people!
November 11, 2006 2:36:26 AM

Quote:

Saludos

UPDATE: I just found this info about the MoBos, any opinions?

http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboard/board.php?...

http://global.aopen.com.tw/Products/mb/ax4per-n.htm

http://www.computing.net/cpus/wwwboard/forum/13637.html (Intel MoBo)

I guess that's a score for the Biostar 8) , please make your own mind and share your comments.
November 13, 2006 1:53:52 PM

Quote:

Saludos

I guess that's a score for the Biostar 8) , please make your own mind and share your comments.[/quote]

Emergency!

Looks like I busted my MoBo while trying to flash the BIOS :roll: PLEASE! help me choose the replacement for I can't use my Bro's rig forever.

PCCHIPS should be written PCS#¡T or PCCHEAP!
November 14, 2006 3:10:39 AM

Quote:

Saludos

I guess that's a score for the Biostar 8) , please make your own mind and share your comments.

Emergency!

Looks like I busted my MoBo while trying to flash the BIOS :roll: PLEASE! help me choose the replacement for I can't use my Bro's rig forever.

PCCHIPS should be written PCS#¡T or PCCHEAP![/quote]

Since it looks like i Blasted my MoBo, Does anyone has advice about the above mentioned MoBos, take in count i'm still going to try to overclock the thing.

Greetings
November 14, 2006 11:03:11 AM

Just sneak across the border and buy one here in the states.
November 14, 2006 12:21:36 PM

Just about any board will oc with clockgen http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php It looks like your bottle neck is in ram and graphic.
I don't think putting all that cash into a 478 is worth it when you can get a P4 805 or AM2 3500+ for under $100. A mobo's with onboard video and pcie are around $60 with 1gb [2x 512 ]ddr2 800 for about $100. If you can sell your cpu for $60 then you are spending about the same for a much better system with some room for upgrade. Some skt 775 boards also take a C2D so you can up grade to one when the price drops. It just seems like your going to drop $200 into a system to make it run like a $300 hp. I priced this off new egg so it may not work where you live but my point is the lowest new system will out do the highest OC you can get. After you get the top end[ psu,ram,mobo and heatsinks] stuff to get your OC then you have spent the same as get a lower end system with room for upgrade.
November 14, 2006 1:02:01 PM

The previous poster pretty much put into words something I've been thinking... there are no free lunches. In other words, overclocking isn't really as good of a value as it originally seems... sure, it's fun to feel like you're sticking it to the man by getting a $200 C2D that keeps up with a $900 one... but you gotta get a good board, a high end PSU, brand name memory, as well as an aftermarket cooler... and all of that does start to add up. It's just not like it used to be... way back when I overclocked my P-200 to 225... it was 100% stable and required no additional cooling... my only cost was a little time to figure out what jumper controlled my FSB. Now with $400 memory kits and $300 enthusiast motherboards it's getting a bit ridiculous.
November 14, 2006 3:48:55 PM

Thanks for the comments

I´ve really been thinking 'bout "sneaking up the border" to get some parts for my rig but... with the amount of time invested (not to mention the $150 on gas just to reach the border) I think I'll end up paying almost the same amount of money and with a higher risk of damaging something in transit.

I'm not trying to break any record or to end up with a top-of-the-line system, just to squeeze the the very last drop of power of my prescott.

Hey! I just found this on a local retailer ECS P4M800PRO-M478 DDR2 MoBo

It's VIA-based and only $50 :lol:  it also supports dd2 memory (altough only 533)

Could that MoBo be just what the doctor ordered for my rig? I have my doubts for ECS is not a very known Brand to me.
November 15, 2006 12:25:02 AM

I have similar specs
IC7G
Prescot 3.4
6800 Ultra
2Gb kingston RAM

Still plays games ok....
November 15, 2006 4:29:16 AM

Quote:

It's VIA-based and only $50 :lol:  it also supports dd2 memory (altough only 533)

Could that MoBo be just what the doctor ordered for my rig? I have my doubts for ECS is not a very known Brand to me.

Does anyone has comments about the mentioned brand? I'm almost surely going for the Abit MoBo, but this one too looks fine for me, please check them out and help me make up my mind.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.as...
November 15, 2006 12:03:37 PM

What are you using this for? If gaming your graphic card is whats holding you back the most. The FX where sub par at best. I've seen 9800pros going for real cheaps on ebay[ under $20 at some times] but if you can get something in the x800s or 6xxx that would make a huge diff. I checked a few places and can't believe the price on the 478 boards $50 and up for a socket thats been dead for like 3 years and most are sis[ crap ] chipsets. When buying EC or VIA check reviews as there both limited OCers for the most part.
November 15, 2006 4:04:13 PM

You are right about the price thing unsmart, just take in count i'm not in the US, that's why i'm not going for a c2d upgrade (the processors prices are a rip off) even the E6300 is $400+ here.

I have a concern: the ECS MoBo doesn't list my Prescott as supported (it just doesn't appear on the list) but another MoBo a Gigabyte 8VM800M that has the same VIA chipset show it as supported. Can I assume the ECS MoBo supports it if it has the very same chipset?

I have no crush with the ECS MoBo it's just that it is the only one that supports dd2 memory.
November 16, 2006 3:29:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the comments

I´ve really been thinking 'bout "sneaking up the border" to get some parts for my rig but... with the amount of time invested (not to mention the $150 on gas just to reach the border) I think I'll end up paying almost the same amount of money and with a higher risk of damaging something in transit.

I'm not trying to break any record or to end up with a top-of-the-line system, just to squeeze the the very last drop of power of my prescott.

I'm confused, while I get the spare MoBo for my rig I re-animated my old Athlon XP 2000+ so I can work, but I can't OC it, when I enter to the BIOS and change the FSB the settings are not applied, it stays at 133mhz. Why would that be?
November 16, 2006 7:32:25 PM

Quote:
I'm confused, while I get the spare MoBo for my rig I re-animated my old Athlon XP 2000+ so I can work, but I can't OC it, when I enter to the BIOS and change the FSB the settings are not applied, it stays at 133mhz. Why would that be?

Does anyone has comments about that or about my MoBo problem?
November 16, 2006 9:24:40 PM

You should really try clockgen it works through windows and lets you change FSB , multipliers and voltages in some cases. The really great thing about it is you can run prim95 and speedfan at the same time and keep an eye on the system. I had a few xp2000 they OC like mad, it's in my brothers kids box still kicking it at 1.9gh after 5 years use.
I'm not suggesting you get a core2, just maybe check prices on other type systems. If you plane on spending over $100 you my be able to get a 3000+ skt. 939. I may have misunderstood and your just getting the mobo and not upgrading ram and psu. SIS sucks as do low end VIA chipsets.
November 17, 2006 1:35:37 AM

Thank for the comments!

Ok, these are the contenders for replacing my MoBo

ECS P4M800PRO-M478
GIGABYTE 8VM800M

I don´t know what happened, all my trusted retailers suddendly ran out of s478 MoBos

What do you think it would be a better choice: The ECS supports ddr2 533 but Gigabyte is a much better brand, at least as far as I know
November 19, 2006 3:21:33 AM

Hey unsmart I fixed my busted MoBo!

After a LOT of research I found how to fix it (I'm still changing it 'thoug, just not until xmas so i can buy also the memory and maybe a SATA disk) and guess what it's PLL is compatible with CPUCool and CPUFSB so i'm going to mess with them for mere academic purposes.

I need some testing programs to check stability, anyone can recommend me some, i've heard about a prog called SuperPi, can it be of any use for me?

Saludos
November 19, 2006 7:22:14 PM

Quote:
Hey unsmart I fixed my busted MoBo!

After a LOT of research I found how to fix it (I'm still changing it 'thoug, just not until xmas so i can buy also the memory and maybe a SATA disk) and guess what it's PLL is compatible with CPUCool and CPUFSB so i'm going to mess with them for mere academic purposes.

I need some testing programs to check stability, anyone can recommend me some, i've heard about a prog called SuperPi, can it be of any use for me?

Saludos

Hey i've been fiddling with CPUFSB and reached an impressive (for me at least) 3570 MHZ with a 680 MHZ FSB!
I tested for stability and completed the 24 iterations of SuperPi without any problems, the most strange thing is i never got beyond 43º C and i'm still using stock HSF.

I have a question: I'm using PC 2700 ram, but underclocked it to 266 MHZ for a 1:1 relation FSB to Ram, provided that as it is not a very good memory stick (Kingston ValuRam) and to prevent it to fail (or so i think). I can run it @ 333MHZ for a 3:4 FSB to Ram relation but I think I won't be able tu push it too far so what should be the best higher processor frecuency with lower memory speed or faster memory with a lower processor frecuency?

This is my first attempt so i don't know very much about changing voltages and stuff, I look forward to reach the 177 MHZ FSB so memory works @ 333MHZ but Frecuency steps are too steep in CPUFSB and it jumps from 170 to 180 MHZ and at this frecuency it fails and rolls back to 133 MHZ.

Greetings
November 19, 2006 11:54:07 PM

Hey It's nice running my prescott 2.8 GHZ @ 3.57GHZ but still i think i can push it a little further (i'm still running my memory below stock frecuency it's 333 but running it at 300 for a 1:1 ratio).

I think I need better overclocking tools since my MoBo doesn't have any and i'm using CPUCool for it, but it's frecuency steps are too steep and I want to match my FSB to my stock memory frecuency.

Any recommendations will be thanked.

Saludos[/quote]
November 23, 2006 3:14:00 PM

For those who aren't familiar with this thread this is my rig

P4 Prescott @ 2.8 GHz FSB 533 MHz and 21x multiplier
256 mb Kingston ValuRam 333MHz
PCChips :oops:  M909G MoBo with latest BIOS, Chipset intel 845gv
GeForce FX 5950 Ultra from PNY 256mb ddr

I've tried to overclock this thing from the BIOS, but as it is intel-based Frecuency and voltage controls for the processor are locked so I ended using the CPUFSB program.

Okay here are some results of my first overclocking experiment:

If I underclock my ram to 266 MHz for a 1:1 ratio I can change without problem my CPU speed to make it run @ 3.57 GHz with 680MHz FSB and 300 MHz memory speed, but as the program also changes the PCI speed my sound card stops responding with the 45 MHz frecuency.

I've run prime95, superpi and 3dmark 03 without any problems for long runs (half-a-day, full day), still, i've heard that running the PCI over 37 MHz is noxious for the rig, is it true?

The highest frecuency i've reached whitout passing the 37 MHz PCI top line is 3045MHz (with is not very impressive) with lame 280 MHz Memory and 580 MHz FSB.

The Best thing of all is that for some reason my CPU doesn't overheat (never ever ever goes beyond 46ºC :twisted: ) and i'm on stock cooling, that's why i think that i can push it a little farther of the 3.57 Gigs already reached and stable.

Everything is replaceable except the processor and the gpu (this are Big NO-NOs) for the prices of those components are outrageous in my country, a $400+ E6300 anyone 8O ? Even Pentium D's are over $250.

Please read the thread for my other specs and options, any comments will be surely wellcome, specially if you point me to choose the best MoBo replacement from my current options.

Saludos

P. S. Which is better, faster memory (i. e. running my ram at 333) or higher processor frecuency (my ram dies at 333 if I go beyond 548 FSB, but i can go beyond that if I time my ram @ 266)?
November 23, 2006 7:02:21 PM

En que parte de Mexico estas? yo en Tijuana.

Mejor ahorra tu lana para cuando tengas para un C2D.

I didn't read the entire post. but save your money.

Overclock but REMEMBER TO WATCH YOUR TEMPS!!!! i don't know what is normal with this CPU. in C2D world i would say low 60's.

You don't have an option in BIOS at standard 33mhz for PCI,

Memory speeds so low doesn't make a lot of difference. If it works and temps are good enjoy.

ANY TYPE of Overclocking is NOXIUS (sp?) if it works let it rip being 33,37 or 40mhz.

I don't trust your temp monitor, if it never changes beyond 46c those are some hot Processors. Try SpeedFAN. or something else.

PM if needed.
November 24, 2006 2:04:05 PM

Hola Pancito estoy en Monterrey Ajua! :D 

You know, I thought the same about the temps, but I tried speedFan and it shows the same results, for real the fan runs like mad! It almost doubles it speed when I OC this thing, I'm thinking 'bout buying one of those cheapazaki standalone USB speakers just to OC this thing @ 680 FSB and keep the sound, about buying a C2D i'm on that too, but i'll have to wait until I get out of college next summer (dayuuuum! those graduation courses al expensive 8O ).

Right now, i'll just change the mobo (Biostar 865 GV Micro probaly) and the memory (1 gig 400MHz corsair). By the way, if Chistmas bonus is generous enough, would it be worth it to go for a PD 805 or Shall I wait 'till I can afford a C2D?

Saludos
November 24, 2006 3:43:30 PM

What about the 4.1 GHz PD 805?

Would that still be slower than a C2D?
November 24, 2006 6:36:37 PM

Touché with the energy bill :lol: 

Yeah, I forgot about the water cooling system $$$$$!

What do you think I can get with 'bout $700 on my budget? It's about the Christmas Bonus i'm going to get in my job. No record breakers here, just a plain good gaming rig on sight.

My current rig gets 4116 Marks on 3DMark 03 on stock frecuency, OCed I can get up to 5250 Marks but I'm concerned about the PCI frecuency for it is too high (or so I think at least) it jumps from 33.3 MHz to 45 MHz and kills the sound card. Is having such frecuency on PCI too dangerous? Temps and mem are doing well.
November 28, 2006 4:19:31 PM

Quote:
Touché with the energy bill :lol: 

Yeah, I forgot about the water cooling system $$$$$!

What do you think I can get with 'bout $700 on my budget? It's about the Christmas Bonus i'm going to get in my job. No record breakers here, just a plain good gaming rig on sight.

My current rig gets 4116 Marks on 3DMark 03 on stock frecuency, OCed I can get up to 5250 Marks but I'm concerned about the PCI frecuency for it is too high (or so I think at least) it jumps from 33.3 MHz to 45 MHz and kills the sound card. Is having such frecuency on PCI too dangerous? Temps and mem are doing well.

Just a few more days for the christmas bonus :twisted:

I'm having some issues with my video card: when I turn on the PC half the times the GPU fails to initialize, would that mean my PSU is not capable of giving it enough power? I pulled the card from an old system, it's a GeForce FX 5950 ultra from PNY. I'm using latest drivers/directx and feeding it from an independent power cable.

Other weird thing is that rarely, but has happened more than twice, the card only shows 128 of its 256 mb of ddr ram. I'm not getting any low power warnings in windows, and when it works the card performs very well, let me repeat, WHEN IT WORKS.
November 29, 2006 4:38:05 AM

How many watts can your PSU deliver?
November 29, 2006 5:38:25 AM

Be sure to check out the CPU + MB combos at Newegg. Often the MB is poopy, but sometimes you can get something decent and save a bundle.
November 29, 2006 6:07:24 AM

if you got the cpu to 4ghz (as an example) your still let down by your crud ram, video, board etc

your board wont allow nothin

may as well buy a C2D system

Quote:
Hello everyone!

November 29, 2006 2:10:41 PM

You are right about the MoBo, it's lame that's why i'm changing it and the memory too, I can't go C2D yet for prices are outrageous where I live but for sure i'm going for some corsairs ddr400 and a biostar board.

Right now i'm reaching 3.57 GHz stable using CPUFSB, but i'd like to fetch a good mobo that has OC options, for the software also changes my PCI speed and it make my sound card fail beyond that speed.

I have a question: I found a ddr2 Board from ECS that is VIA-based but since ECS is not a known brand to me I'm not sure if it's cheapazaki quality ECS P4M800PRO-M478 DDR2

The other boad I'm checking is this Biostar 865GV Micro 478.

Sadly :cry:  my local retailers are currently very low on MoBo variety
November 29, 2006 2:17:59 PM

Quote:
It can be the PSU, but can also be the GPU itself... hard to tell.

Can you borrow a good, powerful PSU from a buddy and try it, just to isolate the problem?

My PSU delivers 280 watts :oops:  but i'm going to try the GPU in other rig, just to make sure it is the PSU what I have to change, i'm changing the PSU anyway.

What about the funny my-rig-sees-only-128-of-256-ram-from-my-card thing?
It happens rarely, but still, it happens.
November 29, 2006 4:27:38 PM

Quote:
if you got the cpu to 4ghz (as an example) your still let down by your crud ram, video, board etc

Hey I'm checking my MoBo options and found this
Biostar 865GV Micro
Biostar P4M80M4

The problem is the 865 has dual channel memory but doesn't support OCing, so i'll struggle again to pump my rig

The P4M80 has native OCing tools and capabilities but doesn't support dual channel.

So, which is better? OCing easily with no dual channel or dual channel with crappy OC options?

The purpose of this question is to decide if i go for ONE Big Axe xtra low lat (2-2-2-5) stick or two smaller sticks on dual channel (2-3-3-6)

Any comment will be surely thanked
December 5, 2006 8:06:46 PM

Just to keep up to date:

Quote:

Biostar 865GV Micro
Biostar P4M80M4

The problem is the 865 has dual channel memory but doesn't support OCing, so i'll struggle again to pump my rig

The P4M80 has native OCing tools and capabilities but doesn't support dual channel.

So, which is better? OCing easily with no dual channel or dual channel with crappy OC options?

The purpose of this question is to decide if i go for ONE Big Axe xtra low lat (2-2-2-5) stick or two smaller sticks on dual channel (2-3-3-6)

Ok, since i haven't decided yet if I should go with the Big Axe low lat memory stick or the two small on dual channel I went and bought a new HSF, it's a Jet-4 from Cooler master and got it 80% off (thanks to the freezing winter temps over here i suppose) @ just $14. The thing is, that since i have never replaced a HSF I want to know what cautions should i take, I applied about a pea sized drop of thermal goo and have my rig up and running (no drama so far).
December 6, 2006 6:21:35 AM

I repeat NEVER SKIMP OUT ON THE MOTHERBOARD

the dual channel will give you GUARANTEED HIGHER PERFORMANCE, the overclock you may get - no guarantee there

Quote:
Just to keep up to date:

Biostar 865GV Micro
Biostar P4M80M4

Ok, since i haven't decided yet if I should go with the Big Axe low lat memory stick or the two small on dual channel I went and bought a new HSF, it's a Jet-4 from Cooler master and got it 80% off (thanks to the freezing winter temps over here i suppose) @ just $14. The thing is, that since i have never replaced a HSF I want to know what cautions should i take, I applied about a pea sized drop of thermal goo and have my rig up and running (no drama so far).
December 6, 2006 5:05:44 PM

It's not that i'm trying to go cheap on the MoBo, it's my cursed local retailers who won't bring nice parts :evil: 

I just saw a GA-8VM800M from Gigabyte @ $70, I think it's a good brand but it doesn't support dual channel, so the issue is the same: big fat OC with VIA chipset or dual channel with Intel, most surely no OC at all with that mobo
December 6, 2006 8:31:03 PM

Quote:
It's not that i'm trying to go cheap on the MoBo, it's my cursed local retailers who won't bring nice parts :evil: 

I just saw a GA-8VM800M from Gigabyte @ $70, I think it's a good brand but it doesn't support dual channel, so the issue is the same: big fat OC with VIA chipset or dual channel with Intel, most surely no OC at all with that mobo

VIA = crap, VIA + Gigabyte = Gigashyte
!