WPA Capability

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi, all. I recently installed a home network on three Dell desktops running
XP Professional with SP2 and all critical updates installed. One desktop is
connected via Ethernet cable to a Belkin Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router
(model F5D7230-4, version 1110) that has been updated with the most recent
firmware. The other two desktops are connected via Belkin Wireless Desktop
Network Cards with the most recent drivers. Both cards are model F5D7000,
but one card is version 1133, while the other card is version 1010. The
network works fine when I do not use WEP or WPA encryption. However, when I
try to use WPA-PSK/TKIP encryption, the desktops connected to the router by
the Ethernet cable and the F5D7000 card, version 1133, work fine, but the
desktop with the version 1010 card does not give me the option of selecting
WPA encryption--it's not on the drop down list in the XP wireless
configuration utility; I can only select WEP or Disabled. Belkin Tech
Support insists this is a Windows issue. Any thoughts? Thanks.

"Mystified" <Mystified@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> However, when I
> try to use WPA-PSK/TKIP encryption, the desktops connected to the router
> by
> the Ethernet cable and the F5D7000 card, version 1133, work fine, but the
> desktop with the version 1010 card does not give me the option of
> selecting
> WPA encryption--it's not on the drop down list in the XP wireless
> configuration utility; I can only select WEP or Disabled. Belkin Tech
> Support insists this is a Windows issue. Any thoughts? Thanks.

The wired computers are not affected as WPA is only part of wireless.

The card / driver combination must give you the option or it is simply not
capable of the mode (WPA) that you want. At least if you are using their
software and not Windows software. If you're using Windows software there
is still a relationship between the card / driver and what you can set in.

Fred

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Fred, thanks for your response to my question. I understand that WPA
encryption does not apply to the wired computer. My problem is that I have
two Belkin wireless cards with the same model number installed with the same
drivers on two computers that both run XP Pro with all critical updates
including SP2, but one card is version 1130 and the other is version 1010,
and I do not have the option of selecting WPA encryption using the Windows
configuration utility on the computer with the version 1010 card, even though
I do have that option on the computer with the version 1130 card and have
successfully done so (the drivers for these cards require the user to
configure WPA encryption with the Windows configuration utility). Is it
possible that the version 1130 card is WPA-capable and the version 1010 card
is not? Belkin Tech Support says they both are WPA-capable and that my
problem is Windows-related. I'm...

Mystified

"Fred Marshall" wrote:

> "Mystified" <Mystified@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > However, when I
> > try to use WPA-PSK/TKIP encryption, the desktops connected to the router
> > by
> > the Ethernet cable and the F5D7000 card, version 1133, work fine, but the
> > desktop with the version 1010 card does not give me the option of
> > selecting
> > WPA encryption--it's not on the drop down list in the XP wireless
> > configuration utility; I can only select WEP or Disabled. Belkin Tech
> > Support insists this is a Windows issue. Any thoughts? Thanks.
>
> The wired computers are not affected as WPA is only part of wireless.
>
> The card / driver combination must give you the option or it is simply not
> capable of the mode (WPA) that you want. At least if you are using their
> software and not Windows software. If you're using Windows software there
> is still a relationship between the card / driver and what you can set in.
>
> Fred

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Mystified,

Did you Google on these things?

Check out:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815485

Maybe it's the difference in the software setup between the two computers.
You didn't say you swapped cards between the two computers and tried that.

Fred

> Fred, thanks for your response to my question. I understand that WPA
> encryption does not apply to the wired computer. My problem is that I
> have
> two Belkin wireless cards with the same model number installed with the
> same
> drivers on two computers that both run XP Pro with all critical updates
> including SP2, but one card is version 1130 and the other is version 1010,
> and I do not have the option of selecting WPA encryption using the Windows
> configuration utility on the computer with the version 1010 card, even
> though
> I do have that option on the computer with the version 1130 card and have
> successfully done so (the drivers for these cards require the user to
> configure WPA encryption with the Windows configuration utility). Is it
> possible that the version 1130 card is WPA-capable and the version 1010
> card
> is not? Belkin Tech Support says they both are WPA-capable and that my
> problem is Windows-related. I'm...
>
> Mystified
>
> "Fred Marshall" wrote:
>

>> "Mystified" <Mystified@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > However, when I
>> > try to use WPA-PSK/TKIP encryption, the desktops connected to the
>> > router
>> > by
>> > the Ethernet cable and the F5D7000 card, version 1133, work fine, but
>> > the
>> > desktop with the version 1010 card does not give me the option of
>> > selecting
>> > WPA encryption--it's not on the drop down list in the XP wireless
>> > configuration utility; I can only select WEP or Disabled. Belkin Tech
>> > Support insists this is a Windows issue. Any thoughts? Thanks.
>>
>> The wired computers are not affected as WPA is only part of wireless.
>>
>> The card / driver combination must give you the option or it is simply
>> not
>> capable of the mode (WPA) that you want. At least if you are using their
>> software and not Windows software. If you're using Windows software
>> there
>> is still a relationship between the card / driver and what you can set
>> in.
>>
>> Fred

Archived from groups: (More info?)

What if you swap the cards ( plug the 1130 into other PC, and v.v)?

--PA