Need a Core 2 Duo build on a budget. Please help.

KingWaddleDee

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Here is what I need, I sorely need an upgrade for my celeron powered PC which runs every game horribly, and I'm sick of it. So for Christmas I'm deciding to finally get a new computer that can play games loads better than this one can now.

I want my computer to be able to play stuff like WoW on max settings, Phantasy Star Universe, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, and generally last me for a long time.

I heard that Core 2 Duo processors are the way to go now, and I've decided that if I want the most bang for my buck, I should go with it. You may have seen me making a similar request a few months back, but then again that was a few months ago, and I want to know if there are any more better, recent builds concerning this processor.

I am on a 700 to lets say 850 dollar budget not including the operating system or case.

Welp, anyone who can help it's very much appreciated.

Suzuka

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
6300 core 2 180$
Gigabyte DS3 mobo around 140$
DDR2 2 gigs.. can find around 230~$ if you want quality.
HDD, Western Digital Caviar RE 250GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM 16mb 7,200rpm 74$~
BFG Tech GeForce 7600GT BFGR76256GTOCE Video Card - 143$ or 7900GS KO 180$~ or so.
Some DVD RW drive.. around 30 bucks.

This easily fits in your budget and will run your games at max sets with room to spare.. actually it will run even latest games with max sets and nice fps.

KingWaddleDee

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
awesome thanks, that sounds good, but what are some advantages to certain motherboards over others? And how do you know which ones are compatable with what RAM's and soundcards? I don't know how all these things work together :<.

Your build seems good but I want some background information on the parts and stuff if you can :O. Also I want a couple more people's opinion on what would be the best for me.