GIF files won't show previews in file explorer

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

I'm having a hard time with GIF and JPEG files ever since I updated
from Office 2000 Office 2003.
When using File Explorer, other graphic file types (PSD for instance)
will show up as small preview pictures if you choose View Large or
Small Icons, or Thumbnails. GIFs and JPEGS just show up as the default
icons for those types of files, but not the graphic itself. Also, no
matter what view you choose, you should be able to see a thumbnail of
it when you have it highlighted. Not that case for these 2 file types
any more.
I've looked this up many times, finally found some advice but none of
it worked. I had to reinstall Microsoft Photo editor and make the file
association again, and found another program that was supposed to run
(or maybe it was a regfile) and was supposed to fix this error, but
none of this has made any difference.
All I want is to have GIF and JPEGs do what they always did and are
supposed to do by default in WIN2k I don't know what happened or how to
get this back without completely re-installing windows. Can anyone
truly help me?

Generic icon is displayed for a picture file when in Thumbnail view:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imagethumb.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

<gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message news:1103078288.054160.121840@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
[...]

Will this work for Win2K as well?

Thanks.

Ramesh [MVP] wrote:
> Generic icon is displayed for a picture file when in Thumbnail view:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imagethumb.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
> I'm having a hard time with GIF and JPEG files ever since I updated
> from Office 2000 Office 2003.
> When using File Explorer, other graphic file types (PSD for instance)
> will show up as small preview pictures if you choose View Large or
> Small Icons, or Thumbnails. GIFs and JPEGS just show up as the
default
> icons for those types of files, but not the graphic itself. Also, no
> matter what view you choose, you should be able to see a thumbnail of
> it when you have it highlighted. Not that case for these 2 file types
> any more.
> I've looked this up many times, finally found some advice but none of
> it worked. I had to reinstall Microsoft Photo editor and make the
file
> association again, and found another program that was supposed to run
> (or maybe it was a regfile) and was supposed to fix this error, but
> none of this has made any difference.
> All I want is to have GIF and JPEGs do what they always did and are
> supposed to do by default in WIN2k I don't know what happened or how
> get this back without completely re-installing windows. Can anyone
> truly help me?

That information applies to Windows XP. Don't have a Windows 2000 system here to test.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User