Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I have 2 CPUs and i want to change their clock speeds.
My P4 Prescott @ 3.0Ghz has a faulty cooler (or at least i hope) and it's temps are very high. So i want to find a way to underclock it.

My P4 Nothwood has a good fan and is only 2.4Ghz, so i want to overclock it, but my motherboard does not let me through the BIOS.

So in both cases i cannot perform the action neccesery through the BIOS. What other ways are there to change the clocks of a CPU?

Thnx in Advance!

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I dont know what u mean "Dosent allow".
The option isnt there but i dont think the BIOS would have something against me overclocking.
I dont know abt underclocking though, but ive seen it done.. so how is it done?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Motherboards that are "stock" or ones that you buy with generic pcs like Dell, Gateway, HP, and etc don't have the overclocking feature in the motherboards bios. Why that's because it's a cheap mobo and warranty reasons. Builder PCs like Alienware , Voodoo, Falcon and etc uses high-performance motherboards and includes overclocking features.

As for you, when the bios doesn't have that overclocking feature then you can't overclock it and there's no other way to increase or decrease your cpu speed/frequency.

So for your P4 that is hot you can however get a $20-$30 HSF cooler that provides better cooling for that cpu. A lot better than it's stock cooler. And as for the slower cpu well there's no other way you can overclock it, unless you get a new motherboard.

The motherboard needs to be supported. Boards that don't have overclocking features such as VCore menus or FSB or multiplier jumpers are usually not supported. Now go troll somewhere else fool.
OCing a gameboy is different then OCing a P4.

At times a simple concise answer is more of boon to the poster than a long drawn out post. Simply stating fact and moving on decreases the waste of bandwidth that users like you, seem to have an affinity for. Coming on a post just to harass a fellow user dictates a violation of the Terms of service and can end in said user being placed under ban by the moderators of said forums. So when I posted my comment at the outset of this thread, that was all that the user asked for and thats all that I need to say.
In simple, sod off.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
@ DaSickNinja: RobsX2 was just trying to help, why did u start calling him names? If u have a bad history thats one thing, but lets keep this calm..

My P4 @ 2.4Ghz does have a cheap motherboard. I bought that PC before i knew anything abt hardware, and then i replaced the motherboard because it was bad.
The thing is, i thought that there might be another way to overclock a CPU, other than in the BIOS because the BIOS cant let u UNDERclock, so underclocking has to be done somewhere other than the BIOS, right?

I trust that u know what ur talking abt when u say i have no hope of overclocking, but ill try the program that was offered.

Would it be easier if i just switched the 2 CPUs? I mean would i have to install XP again, or is it just plug 'n play?

muffin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Why do these forums become some kind of game where folks figure they have to "own" someone? If someone has a hardware problem...help them, please don't think you have to beat someone else down in every discussion. I haven't noticed a scoreboard anywhere in here.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
@ DaSickNinja: RobsX2 was just trying to help, why did u start calling him names? If u have a bad history thats one thing, but lets keep this calm..

Thanks bud :wink: He is still just a little sore about a certain other thread in which he got owned in :lol:

But yes, I am only trying to help out and I hope that I have. Thanks. :wink:

Haha, did u say "owned"? Did u give THAT much more usefull advice?

Seriously, this isnt a place to "own" ppl, even if it wasnt stupid as hell to try to be better than someone by answering a question better. Does everything have to be a competition?

@ Wusy: So ur saying that overclocking has to be done with the motherboard, and there are some motherboards that just dont let u overclock no matter what? So why do ppl make these boards? Are they for Sempron/Celeron users who arent looking for performance?

And why is it that its immpossible to UNDERclock? I mean ive seen it done before in reviews.

muffin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
It's not impossible to underclock...you just need a board that will overclock, because either way you need control of the front side bus and/or multiplier. Most processors have multipliers upwardly locked, but you can turn it down. You need a board that supports changing this value. Some boards have had people write an alternate BIOS that will allow you access to controls that the stock BIOS does not.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
If you get a board that supports either overclocking, or underclocking I'd be happy to help you do either. Just PM me.

Well, i dont think ill be buying a new motherboard anytime soon, especially not if the only purpose is changing the CPU clocks.

I just an Asus P4GD1, what can u tell me abt that?

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Reported. Please. Go. Away.

Please. Your accusations may be right, but they are harsh.
I dont have a problem with his threads. I'm actually on his side. Note that u unleashed the first comment against him.

What was the point of the Pictures?