best security for ad-hoc network

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I've read some articles which say that WPA-PSK is the best security for
wireless, but this seems to be available only for Infrastructure mode
networks. As soon as I select ad-hoc as the type of network, WPA-PSK
authentication gets changed to WPA-None.

What does WPA-None mean?

Is this setup (authentication=WPA-None, encryption=TKIP) at all secure.

The other thing I've read is that for a home-adhoc network, WEP encryption
with OPEN authentication is "OK", meaning not great but better than nothing,
in that it won't stop a hacker but might stop less-computer-literate
neighbours.
But how does WEP/OPEN compare with WPA-None/TKIP ??
4 answers Last reply
More about best security network
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Hi
    This is very simple but explains the principles:
    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "RodB" <RodB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've read some articles which say that WPA-PSK is the best security for
    > wireless, but this seems to be available only for Infrastructure mode
    > networks. As soon as I select ad-hoc as the type of network, WPA-PSK
    > authentication gets changed to WPA-None.
    >
    > What does WPA-None mean?
    >
    > Is this setup (authentication=WPA-None, encryption=TKIP) at all secure.
    >
    > The other thing I've read is that for a home-adhoc network, WEP encryption
    > with OPEN authentication is "OK", meaning not great but better than
    nothing,
    > in that it won't stop a hacker but might stop less-computer-literate
    > neighbours.
    > But how does WEP/OPEN compare with WPA-None/TKIP ??

  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    ok - thanks,
    BUT what am I losing going from WPA-PSK to WPA-None for authentication when
    I change from infrastructure to adhoc?

    and is WPA-None/TPIK better than OPEN/WEP for an adhoc network?

    "Jack" wrote:

    > Hi
    > This is very simple but explains the principles:
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "RodB" <RodB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've read some articles which say that WPA-PSK is the best security for
    > > wireless, but this seems to be available only for Infrastructure mode
    > > networks. As soon as I select ad-hoc as the type of network, WPA-PSK
    > > authentication gets changed to WPA-None.
    > >
    > > What does WPA-None mean?
    > >
    > > Is this setup (authentication=WPA-None, encryption=TKIP) at all secure.
    > >
    > > The other thing I've read is that for a home-adhoc network, WEP encryption
    > > with OPEN authentication is "OK", meaning not great but better than
    > nothing,
    > > in that it won't stop a hacker but might stop less-computer-literate
    > > neighbours.
    > > But how does WEP/OPEN compare with WPA-None/TKIP ??

  3. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    any security over just WEP is good.

    > ok - thanks,
    > BUT what am I losing going from WPA-PSK to WPA-None for authentication
    > when
    > I change from infrastructure to adhoc?
    >
    > and is WPA-None/TPIK better than OPEN/WEP for an adhoc network?
    >
    > "Jack" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> This is very simple but explains the principles:
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    >>
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >> "RodB" <RodB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I've read some articles which say that WPA-PSK is the best security for
    >> > wireless, but this seems to be available only for Infrastructure mode
    >> > networks. As soon as I select ad-hoc as the type of network, WPA-PSK
    >> > authentication gets changed to WPA-None.
    >> >
    >> > What does WPA-None mean?
    >> >
    >> > Is this setup (authentication=WPA-None, encryption=TKIP) at all secure.
    >> >
    >> > The other thing I've read is that for a home-adhoc network, WEP
    >> > encryption
    >> > with OPEN authentication is "OK", meaning not great but better than
    >> nothing,
    >> > in that it won't stop a hacker but might stop less-computer-literate
    >> > neighbours.
    >> > But how does WEP/OPEN compare with WPA-None/TKIP ??

  4. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    WPA-AES using a radius server is better security since you then don't use a
    pre shared key.
    But for most home users, setting up a radius server is not an option.
    WPA-PSK with a pre shared key more than ~20 characters should be more secure
    than WEP.
    preferebly using AES.
    With WPA in infrastructure mode, the AP will provide you the key to
    encrypt/decrypt data, you can also on most AP set the timout interval when
    to renew the key.
    With WPA-None, there is no 802.1x authenction, the key used to encrypt /
    decrypt is just a hash of the SSID and the password.
    To me using WPA-None / TKIP isn't much better than WEP. (since both
    encrypt/decrypt using RC4 and the key is static)
    Using WPA-None and AES should increase the security but still the key is
    static.

    well that's my two cents

    regards
    Niklas

    "RodB" <RodB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've read some articles which say that WPA-PSK is the best security for
    > wireless, but this seems to be available only for Infrastructure mode
    > networks. As soon as I select ad-hoc as the type of network, WPA-PSK
    > authentication gets changed to WPA-None.
    >
    > What does WPA-None mean?
    >
    > Is this setup (authentication=WPA-None, encryption=TKIP) at all secure.
    >
    > The other thing I've read is that for a home-adhoc network, WEP encryption
    > with OPEN authentication is "OK", meaning not great but better than
    > nothing,
    > in that it won't stop a hacker but might stop less-computer-literate
    > neighbours.
    > But how does WEP/OPEN compare with WPA-None/TKIP ??

Configuration Authentication Security Wireless Networking