Linksys BEFW11S4 and WEP

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
December 3, 2004 6:41:54 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Has anyone had this problem?:

My wireless signal works great EXCEPT when I enable 128 Encryption keys.
Once I do this I can connect to the Router, but am not able to ping back to
it. Therefore cannot connect to the internet and browse.

Once I disable and then reconnect back to the router, I can ping back to the
router. Therefore I can connect and browse fine.

What gives...any suggestions?

Ron

More about : linksys befw11s4 wep

Anonymous
December 3, 2004 7:29:29 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> My wireless signal works great EXCEPT when I enable 128 Encryption
keys.
> Once I do this I can connect to the Router, but am not able to ping
back to
> it. Therefore cannot connect to the internet and browse.
>
> Once I disable and then reconnect back to the router, I can ping
back to the
> router. Therefore I can connect and browse fine.
>
> What gives...any suggestions?
>
> Ron

What type of wireless adapter are you using?
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 9:19:21 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> Has anyone had this problem?:
>
> My wireless signal works great EXCEPT when I enable 128 Encryption keys.
> Once I do this I can connect to the Router, but am not able to ping back
> it. TherTh wifiefore cannot connect to the internet and browse.
>
> Once I disable and then reconnect back to the router, I can ping back to
the
> router. Therefore I can connect and browse fine.
>
> What gives...any suggestions?
>
> Ron

The WIFI alliance that certifies interoperability of devices does not
include testing of 128 bit wep encryption, only 64. So if you have a device
brand A access point and device brand b wireless adapter there is no
guarantee they will work together at 128.
December 4, 2004 3:55:08 AM

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 15:41:54 -0500, "Ron" <ronisham@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Has anyone had this problem?:

Yes.

>My wireless signal works great EXCEPT when I enable 128 Encryption keys.
>Once I do this I can connect to the Router, but am not able to ping back to
>it. Therefore cannot connect to the internet and browse.

What version BEFW11S4? It's on the serial number tag.
Extra points for supplying the firmware version.
Points taken away if you have an obsolete revision firmware.

>Once I disable and then reconnect back to the router, I can ping back to the
>router. Therefore I can connect and browse fine.
>What gives...any suggestions?

Suggestion: Kindly disclose what client radio you're using.

Assuming you did everything right (like type in the proper WEP key),
the usual problem is the LENGTH of the WEP key. Some clients require
that the ASCII WEP key be exactly 5 characters for 64 bit WEP and
exactly 13 characters for 128 bit WEP. No more, no less. Apple
requires that one preface the WEP with some cryptic symbol to identify
the key as hexadecimal, in addition to making it exactly the right
length. One vendor (name forgotten) simply truncated extra long WEP
keys so that it was impossible to guess the correct corresponding WEP
key. Anyway, try exactly 13 ASCII characters or exactly 26 Hex
characters.

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
December 4, 2004 3:55:09 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

>the usual problem is the LENGTH of the WEP key. Some clients require
>that the ASCII WEP key be exactly 5 characters for 64 bit WEP and
>exactly 13 characters for 128 bit WEP. No more, no less.

Actually, it turns out there are different "standards" for converting
ASCII to Hex WEP keys, so if your AP and client radio drivers are
different brands, you might want to use HEX in both places...
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 4:45:21 AM

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 20:18:27 -0500, William P.N. Smith wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
>>the usual problem is the LENGTH of the WEP key. Some clients require
>>that the ASCII WEP key be exactly 5 characters for 64 bit WEP and
>>exactly 13 characters for 128 bit WEP. No more, no less.

>Actually, it turns out there are different "standards" for converting
>ASCII to Hex WEP keys, so if your AP and client radio drivers are
>different brands, you might want to use HEX in both places...

I beg to differ. When this came up in the past, I did a quick check
of online and firmware based ASCII to Hex converters. I found one
that screwed up by adding a null terminator to the Hex string.
Another would truncate at 5 or 13 characters and automagically guess
if it were 64 or 128 bits. All the others converted with a simple
ASCII character to Hex character conversion. One ASCII character
equals two Hex characters. There's only one way to do that. I mean
what could be simpler?

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
December 4, 2004 4:45:22 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

>William P.N. Smith wrote:

>>Actually, it turns out there are different "standards" for converting
>>ASCII to Hex WEP keys, so if your AP and client radio drivers are
>>different brands, you might want to use HEX in both places...

>I beg to differ. When this came up in the past, I did a quick check
>of online and firmware based ASCII to Hex converters. I found one
>that screwed up by adding a null terminator to the Hex string.

Maybe D-Link?
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,9564873~mo...

>what could be simpler?

Nothing, but if they aren't exactly the same, they aren't going to
match up. Making a random 128-bit key is easy enough that I've never
bothered with passphrase generation, and I don't reccomend it due to
some chance of incompatability.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 7:28:21 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

In article <jh52r0dif6j7bpnm6iufmqupkvu161292k@4ax.com>,
:I beg to differ. When this came up in the past, I did a quick check
:o f online and firmware based ASCII to Hex converters. I found one
:that screwed up by adding a null terminator to the Hex string.
:Another would truncate at 5 or 13 characters and automagically guess
:if it were 64 or 128 bits. All the others converted with a simple
:ASCII character to Hex character conversion. One ASCII character
:equals two Hex characters. There's only one way to do that. I mean
:what could be simpler?

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/FAQ-33-Linksys+Wireless-1...

Linksys WAP11 v.2.6 Version 1.07 firmware
Version v1.07, April 16, 2003 release notes

Fix WEP key passphrase generation. Certain passphrase genarates the
wrong keys.

I'm not sure if it's the same issue or not, but there was at least one
device that took the user passphrase of non-fixed length and ran it
through an algorithm (e.g., CRC or MD5 like functions) to generate the
64 bit hex key, to save the user from having to enter stuff in hex.
There was, though, a flaw in the initial version that caused it to
only be able to generate a subset of the possible octets, with the
result that the generated keyspace was *much* smaller than it should
have been. [I suspect that it was indeed Linksys and that the above
shows when it was fixed.]
--
Warhol's Second Law of Usenet: "In the future, everyone will troll
for 15 minutes."

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 22:13:25 -0500, William P.N. Smith wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
>>William P.N. Smith wrote:
>
>>>Actually, it turns out there are different "standards" for converting
>>>ASCII to Hex WEP keys, so if your AP and client radio drivers are
>>>different brands, you might want to use HEX in both places...

>>I beg to differ. When this came up in the past, I did a quick check
>>of online and firmware based ASCII to Hex converters. I found one
>>that screwed up by adding a null terminator to the Hex string.
>
>Maybe D-Link?
>http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,9564873~mo...

Groan. Another one. I wasn't aware of that bug.

>>what could be simpler?

>Nothing, but if they aren't exactly the same, they aren't going to
>match up. Making a random 128-bit key is easy enough that I've never
>bothered with passphrase generation, and I don't reccomend it due to
>some chance of incompatability.

I don't think too many vendors "randomize" the WEP key. However, I
don't see these because all of my WEP keys are in currently in Hex,
where no conversion is necessary. I started doing that after wasting
a few hours doing battle with a Linksys WAP11 (unknown version) trying
to get a compatible WEP key. I then repeated the time burner with a
MR814v1 and a Toshiba laptop with some unknown Centrino 802.11b/g
card. Hex always works. ASCII screws up. At the time, I wasn't in
the mood for diagnosing the cause and assigning the blame, so I just
started doing everything in Hex.

Rhetorical question: How can any vendor screw up something so simple?

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
December 4, 2004 10:49:54 AM

<William> wrote:

> Actually, it turns out there are different "standards" for converting
> ASCII to Hex WEP keys, so if your AP and client radio drivers are
> different brands, you might want to use HEX in both places...

There are different ways to generate a WEP key from a *password*. It was
a mistake to introduce the whole "password" business into wireless
encryption. It only created greater complexity and confusion in the name
of simplification.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 10:49:56 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> Apple requires that one preface the WEP with some cryptic symbol to
> identify the key as hexadecimal

No longer. Apple formerly required a $ to preface hexadecimal keys, but
all that is now handled by a pop-up menu. See
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106424&g...;.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 12:39:04 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 07:49:56 GMT, neillmassello@earthlink.net (Neill
Massello) wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
>
>> Apple requires that one preface the WEP with some cryptic symbol to
>> identify the key as hexadecimal

>No longer. Apple formerly required a $ to preface hexadecimal keys, but
>all that is now handled by a pop-up menu. See
><http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106424&g...;.

One down, one to go. Do you know if Apple still insists that the
ASCII keys be exactly 5 chars (64bit) and 13 chars (128bit) long?
The examples in the above article are all exactly 5 and 13 chars long.
Never mind, I found it:
It has to be exactly 13 characters long.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 8:07:42 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> I don't think too many vendors "randomize" the WEP key. However, I
> don't see these because all of my WEP keys are in currently in Hex,

I checked on an SMC, and a Netgear router, maybe Linksys, but I forget.
I keyed in abcde for the string on a 64 bit key.
None of the hex keys generated (four keys displayed on each router) looked
like 61 62 63 64 65. Isn't that straight ASCII-Hex? What other conversion
would you apply?

--
---
December 4, 2004 8:07:43 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 17:07:42 +0000 (UTC), dold@XReXXLinks.usenet.us.com
wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
>> I don't think too many vendors "randomize" the WEP key. However, I
>> don't see these because all of my WEP keys are in currently in Hex,

>I checked on an SMC, and a Netgear router, maybe Linksys, but I forget.
>I keyed in abcde for the string on a 64 bit key.
>None of the hex keys generated (four keys displayed on each router) looked
>like 61 62 63 64 65. Isn't that straight ASCII-Hex? What other conversion
>would you apply?

Argh. I've been using hex for too long to notice what's happening
with the ASCII to Hex conversion game. Orinoco uses straight ASCII
characters to Hex conversion. Everyone else seems to be using some
type of hash code generator. I'm not sure about the algorithms used
but I do have some clues:

ASCII to Hex generator Perl script:
http://www.wigle.net/jigle/wep.pl

Some notes on WEP key generators including ASCII key generator
problems:
http://www.systemexperts.com/tutors/WEPDetails.pdf

I'll dig some more later.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 11:53:28 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> type of hash code generator. I'm not sure about the algorithms used
> but I do have some clues:

> ASCII to Hex generator Perl script:
> http://www.wigle.net/jigle/wep.pl

Ahh,
print "using common wifi driver algorithms.\n\n";

Someone else indicated that it was a "password". Therefore the hex is an
encryption of your password.
I put in the hex to my SMC router and my Orinoco card, which under WinXP
didn't seem to have a place for text anyway, saw that it gave me
a 30% performance hit according to iperf, and turned it off.

---