Benifit of seperate HD for swap file?

I am setting up a small Not For Profit with one of their old Gateway P3-550
machines as a Peer Server. It has a 10Gb HD now, which will be relegated to
OS duties, and a new 80Gb sATA drive going in, along with a PCI sATA card. I
have also upgraded it to 384Mb RAM and WInXP Pro sp2. I happen to have
another 10Gb HD laying around, and it occured to me that I could put it in
as the Primary on IDE-2, along with the DVD-RW, and put nothing but the swap
file there.
My question is, does this offer any real performance benifit? The machine
will be used as a File & Print Server for an office of 5.

Thanks for any insight.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

It can't possibly hurt, though being used in this manner should not require
a whole lot of memory usage.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

In news:eVfDhAm4EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Gordon Price <gordon(thorn)@albedoconsulting.com> typed:

>I am setting up a small Not For Profit with one of their old
>Gateway
> P3-550 machines as a Peer Server. It has a 10Gb HD now, which
> will be
> relegated to OS duties, and a new 80Gb sATA drive going in,
> along
> with a PCI sATA card. I have also upgraded it to 384Mb RAM and
> WInXP
> Pro sp2. I happen to have another 10Gb HD laying around, and it
> occured to me that I could put it in as the Primary on IDE-2,
> along
> with the DVD-RW, and put nothing but the swap file there.
> My question is, does this offer any real performance benifit?
> The
> machine will be used as a File & Print Server for an office of
> 5.

My guess is that the performance benefit will be little or none.
With 384MB, and using the computer as you state, you'll probably
use the page file very little, if at all. So where it resides
won't make a big difference.

Please reply to the newsgroup

In article <uvwmY$r4EHA.2452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
|In news:eVfDhAm4EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
|Gordon Price <gordon(thorn)@albedoconsulting.com> typed:
|
|>I am setting up a small Not For Profit with one of their old
|>Gateway
|> P3-550 machines as a Peer Server. It has a 10Gb HD now, which
|> will be
|> relegated to OS duties, and a new 80Gb sATA drive going in,
|> along
|> with a PCI sATA card. I have also upgraded it to 384Mb RAM and
|> WInXP
|> Pro sp2. I happen to have another 10Gb HD laying around, and it
|> occured to me that I could put it in as the Primary on IDE-2,
|> along
|> with the DVD-RW, and put nothing but the swap file there.
|> My question is, does this offer any real performance benifit?
|> The
|> machine will be used as a File & Print Server for an office of
|> 5.
|

|My guess is that the performance benefit will be little or none.
|With 384MB, and using the computer as you state, you'll probably
|use the page file very little, if at all. So where it resides
|won't make a big difference.

And you may (or may not) actually get better performance by using the newer
sATA drive for the pagefile, as it is probably faster than the older 10GB
drive.