Sign in with
Your question

SELL OR KEEP X1900XTX or 7900GT VS NEW DX10 CARD

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 4, 2006 11:50:09 PM

All the buzz about DX10 has me dazzled and somewhat bewildered.

As I understand it to take advantage of DX10, I will need Vista, and a new DX10 video card. From what I am able to understand the cheapest version of Vista will not have all the trimmings.

I play mostly RTS games, when I have the time, but I like the experience to be as enjoyable as possible-life is short. I did enjoy Far Cry and am looking forward to CRYSIS though I heard it has been delayed. Other games on the horizon I want to play are Supreme Commander, World in Conflict and of course COMMAND & CONQUER 3 all RTS. I am not into just the run and gun.

The total cost of ownership OVER TIME is what I try to make as low as possible and this means buying a new product series at the beginning of its life rather than waiting and buying a card (in this case) toward the end when a new series is being introduced at a lower cost but then you have life cycle issues.

THis has me a little stumped now because the new cards are coming out and I do not know if DX10 will be supported enough to do this now. My dilemma is should I sell my X1900XTX and just use the 7800GT for a few weeks thereby getting a better return on the sale or just waiting it out and get a reduced amount because of the rush for DX10 cards and a reduced market for the DX9 cards.

If the DX10 cards are out by Christmas then they may be the hot item and very expensive with no deals in sight; No games or OS until Jan 30 (OS)

Another issue clouding the issue is Physics. ATI GPU is programmable and they are claiming an X1600 or better can be used as a physics card Will they be introducing this at the DX10 launch? Will a better GPU mean better physics processing? I got the X1900XTX for $550 on launch day, Ebay says they are worth about $350.00 today. The Ageia 128MB Physx card is about $250.

Total Cost of Ownership to me means
1. A new MB/CPU my A8N-SLI 3200+ is a bit dated
2. A new DX10 Video card (probably ATI)
3. MS Vista
4. DDR2 ram 2 gigs

Known DX10 Games
Crysis
Supreme Commander

Looking for input on the following

1. sell X1900XTX use the 7900GT for a while?
2. any thoughts on what the new highend DX10 parts will cost?
3. wait and see how it all works out

A lot of stuff to consider here?
November 5, 2006 12:36:01 AM

Woah - lots of stuff there.

Firstly, whatever version of Vista you get will run the nice DX10 goodness. when games are actually released that use it fully of course.

Have you considered that you don't need to buy anything now?

Your ATI card pwns the 7800GT - you can still sell the latter on eBay for around £100 - why not go that route?
November 5, 2006 12:53:35 AM

If you're an RTS man, I doubt you'll be needing DX10, and so I would suggest keeping your existing card.
As far as I know, SupCom will not be a DX10 title, nor will C&C3.
I would suggest that you keep the X1900XTX (which is quite capable of running SupCom at high framerates).
November 5, 2006 1:11:10 AM

your x1900XTX should serve you well for a long while yet (IE a couple years). games wont begin to even use DX 10 for a year or two. but if you want to upgrade you should consider selling both your cards, and basically all your setup. a x1900XTX is still a king of the hill, and a 7800GT can help supplement your sales, and the 8800GTS is supposed to be around $400. which is about what you could get for both cards, and it would own either easily. but your current setup may hold you back a bit. if it was me, i would start saving, $500 or so, then sell all my current setup and upgrade to a core duo 2 and an 8000 series, or a r600. but after they come out and we can see the benchmarks. altho honestly if your playing RTS's you wont need most of that power.even the budget 8000/r600 series cards that will eventually come out will likely be way more power then you will need. on the other hand, you wouldn't need to upgrade for a very long time.
November 5, 2006 1:51:00 AM

Well, early benchmarks are showing the 8800GTX performing faster than two X1950XTXs in Crossfire.
November 5, 2006 2:53:48 AM

There are a few games that will be using DX10 within the next 6 months (e.g. Flight Simulator X)...but yes, DX10 won't really become mainstream for another year at least. Even though the 8K-series Nvidia cards are exhibiting really nice perfromance, I would keep the X1900XTX and wait for the next generation of optimized DX10 cards to arrive; at the very least see what ATI has to offer with the R600 cards. You'll be just fine (actually, you'll be great) with the XTX for now. Plus, you'll be able to save some money as prices will have come down and selection will have increased.
November 5, 2006 2:57:30 AM

and with RTS like Company of Heroes, you need a lot more graphical HP to run that train vs the old school RTS titles.

I am in the same boat, and the 8800 GTS looks to be the sweet spot at $150 less than the GTX. I pray it will OC and get in the same ballpark, but I just cannot justify spending 2x my cpu price (e6600) for the vid card.

I sold my xtx last week, after picking up a 7900 GTO, haven't noticed much difference after I OCd the 7900, but got a good price for the xtx, and will use the step up program at evga to get a 8800, with a rebate for the purchase price of my card.

Best of both worlds.
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2006 10:42:28 AM

Just my opinion, but I'd keep using the XTX. You simply don't need a new card for any current games; why buy for future titles when you are all set now. It will be April or later before you are playing Crysis, and by then R600 and NV's next refresh will be available. They may creme the current 8800GTX in DX10, and for sure adding competion will bring down the 8800GTX prices and/or give you a better card for the price. I understand wanting to get top dollar for the XTX, but honestly you are beyond that point now anyway. X1950XT 256MB will be as fast and probably $250 and they are already in stock in Europe/Asia. Whatever extra the sale of the XTX gets in now will go right out into the uncontested and expensive 8800GTX. Even if the XTX brings in $100 less later, you may save $250 on the 8800GTX at that time. I think it all boils down to whether it's worth $400+ and your X1900XTX for you to get to use a GF8800GTX now in current games and benchmarks. If so, sell the XTX and buy an 8800. If not, keep happily gaming until Vista and DX games are releases, or until competion makes the DX10 cards a better buy for the buck.
November 5, 2006 11:52:02 AM

Meh, I'm on board for a 8800GTX.

Why?

Recent games, like NFS:Carbon and Neverwinter Nights 2 dont allow me to run as smooth as I'd like in 1600x1200, the native res of my monitor. Thats with a heavily overclocked 7900GT, and with FSAA disabled.

I like FSAA!!! I also have my eye on a 24" 1920x1200 monitor. As such, I'm going to need even more horsepower.

The 8800GTX seems the ideal solution to me, even for DX9
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2006 2:54:31 PM

Well, that's the thing. You upgrade when you are no longer happy with the performance playing your games at your desired res/details. And large LCD's can force that unhappyness earlier than a CRT. I play Farcry at 16x12 maxed out with 6xAA and 16xHQAF. But I have a 19" CRT, so in Oblivion, I play 10x7 high(not max) details with HDR and 4xAA. I can live with this for 6 months or so. But If I had your LCD, I'd be very unhappy trying to run Oblivion at 16x12 native res.

Anyway, His XTX is easily above a OC'ed 7900GT in most titles and he doesn't mention not being happy with it's performance. Matter of fact, he mentions being willing to step way down to a 7800GT for the time being.
November 5, 2006 6:30:15 PM

Quote:
Well, early benchmarks are showing the 8800GTX performing faster than two X1950XTXs in Crossfire.

Link?
The DailyTech article I read showed a single 8800GTX vs. a single X1950XTX.
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2006 7:12:05 PM

Well I agree with the sentiment of selling the GF7800GT, which is definitely getting pushed down the list regardless.

If you're considering the physics portion, the X1900 would offer more physics power, but it's doubtful you can use it with the G80. And yes the X1900 would do physics better than the X1600 as shown in ATi's demo of VPU physics.

IMO keep the X1900 until you decide on what you want next, the GF7800GT is pretty much dated for gaming and for physics.
November 5, 2006 7:17:07 PM

sell all and buy yourself a wii!!!!!!
November 5, 2006 7:53:19 PM

Quote:
All the buzz about DX10 has me dazzled and somewhat bewildered.

As I understand it to take advantage of DX10, I will need Vista, and a new DX10 video card. From what I am able to understand the cheapest version of Vista will not have all the trimmings.

I play mostly RTS games, when I have the time, but I like the experience to be as enjoyable as possible-life is short. I did enjoy Far Cry and am looking forward to CRYSIS though I heard it has been delayed. Other games on the horizon I want to play are Supreme Commander, World in Conflict and of course COMMAND & CONQUER 3 all RTS. I am not into just the run and gun.

The total cost of ownership OVER TIME is what I try to make as low as possible and this means buying a new product series at the beginning of its life rather than waiting and buying a card (in this case) toward the end when a new series is being introduced at a lower cost but then you have life cycle issues.

THis has me a little stumped now because the new cards are coming out and I do not know if DX10 will be supported enough to do this now. My dilemma is should I sell my X1900XTX and just use the 7800GT for a few weeks thereby getting a better return on the sale or just waiting it out and get a reduced amount because of the rush for DX10 cards and a reduced market for the DX9 cards.

If the DX10 cards are out by Christmas then they may be the hot item and very expensive with no deals in sight; No games or OS until Jan 30 (OS)

Another issue clouding the issue is Physics. ATI GPU is programmable and they are claiming an X1600 or better can be used as a physics card Will they be introducing this at the DX10 launch? Will a better GPU mean better physics processing? I got the X1900XTX for $550 on launch day, Ebay says they are worth about $350.00 today. The Ageia 128MB Physx card is about $250.

Total Cost of Ownership to me means
1. A new MB/CPU my A8N-SLI 3200+ is a bit dated
2. A new DX10 Video card (probably ATI)
3. MS Vista
4. DDR2 ram 2 gigs

Known DX10 Games
Crysis
Supreme Commander

Looking for input on the following

1. sell X1900XTX use the 7900GT for a while?
2. any thoughts on what the new highend DX10 parts will cost?
3. wait and see how it all works out

A lot of stuff to consider here?

well if your anything like me, youd sell your card and get a new one..not necessarily for dx10 seeing thats still months away, but because the new 8800 is much better than the 1950xtx. I have a 7800gtx, and im just tired of waiting, im selling it for 160 just to give me some extra cash. If you have the cash, go for it, why not, because if you wait, alls thats gonna happen is, yes it may drop down in price, but then youl say "well way not wait for the next series of cards" ...its a continuing process...i say, if your on your computer alot and really enjpy gaming, just go for it, what do you got to lose.
November 5, 2006 7:53:58 PM

Quote:
sell all and buy yourself a wii!!!!!!

I dont think he will be doing that

I would sell both cards now and get a 8800GTS/X. they come out this week if im not mistaken?
November 5, 2006 8:18:38 PM

id sell off the x1900xtx right now becuz you can still get some money for it. you won't get any decent money after the 8800s come out.
November 6, 2006 3:55:36 PM

What's a wii?

Just kidding - I do not see a Nintendo in my future
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2006 4:09:58 PM

Quote:
id sell off the x1900xtx right now becuz you can still get some money for it. you won't get any decent money after the 8800s come out.

Exceptthat he was talking abou waiting and using a card until then. The X1900XTX isn't going to fetch too much right now anyways, and the release of the GF8800 will only impact that marginally, whereas the GF7800 is now 2 cards down the totem pole once the GF8 series comes out, directly replaced, and if he's going to wait for the physics aspect to play out and use a card until then, the X1900 seems like the better choice to hang on to until the prices come down, and the R600 solidifies and the games start showing up.

I would agree with many who've already said that an attractive option is to sell both and buy the GTS, it'll be significantly cheaper than the top of the line, and yet I think it should outpace both cards, give added benifit, and allow resale once things settles in the near future.

Of course it's an all or nothing type move, but I thin it makes alot of sense as I don't see the GTS being outrageously priced for more than a week or two, and likely won't drop further until the R600 comes out.
November 6, 2006 6:54:30 PM

Great advice guys and thoughts to ponder. At the moment I have made the following decision unless some monsternews is broken somehow.

Right now I am leaning toward keeping the X1900xtx and looking at what the summer brings. If I can see some startling differences between DX9 and DX10 that may change. But this will be the first generation DX under a new architecture and new cards under a first gen DX. Under this senario it may be better to see what happens and see what the second release of cards bring. That will mean fall 2007. I will have had the XTX for about 18 months and the total cost of ownership will be lower overall. By that time the games I want to play will be available(add World in Conflict to the others mentioned) and hopefully AMD/ATI will release their physics program for their GPU's.

If that happens then I can just keep the XTX for Physics and buy another high end ATI card for the graphics. Ideally under this senario I can continually replace the lower end ATI graphics card I own with their new high end offering that I will use for graphics. (Using the lower end one for physics)

Basically waiting also gives me the following advantage as I see it

1. DDR2 should be lower - DDR3 should also be introduced
2. A better selection of motherboards should be available
3. ATI physics should be sorted out
4. All the games I listed should be available
5. Benchmarks for DX10 known better
6. Vista will be known better - Will people REALLY want it for their gaming rig(price VS physics and graphical performance)

There is a lot of hype and I admit I get caught up in it also.

Thanks for all the input - Much Appreciated
November 6, 2006 10:50:00 PM

I dont think any1 has meantened yet but the 8800GTX have been recalled and will be delayed. so the only choise for a dx10 ard now is the 8800GTS

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4253
November 7, 2006 10:58:22 AM

nVidia have said they will still hit their 8/11 launch date with it tho.

If it is delayed, it wont be by much, its just 1 resistor!
November 7, 2006 11:45:35 AM

I seriously think this question gets into the whole "waiting game" debackle. It never really pays to wait because there is always something better coming out. What I did, was wait long enough to get the money to buy a high-end card at the time. (X1900XTX was what I bought) Then I will wait until DX10 cards come out, however, I won't purchase initially, prices will be insane. Wait just a bit, your X1900XTX will still be in good shape and the whole time DX10 cards will be dropping.

My advice? Stick to your X1900XTX for now, wait until at least 2 revisions of DX10 cards have shipped out then look at prices. I'm quite confident your card will be able to handle games still.
November 7, 2006 12:03:44 PM

Quote:
What's a wii?

Its an overpriced and overhyped Gamecube. Nintendo are geniuses when they can sell Gamecube hardware for $250.00.

No way. 250$ is great for an awesome console like the Wii
It is much better than the Gamecube. Id rather buy 1 of these than a 360.
November 7, 2006 12:33:43 PM

Quote:
What's a wii?

Its an overpriced and overhyped Gamecube. Nintendo are geniuses when they can sell Gamecube hardware for $250.00.

No way. 250$ is great for an awesome console like the Wii
It is much better than the Gamecube. Id rather buy 1 of these than a 360.

I agree, the Wii is much more appealing to me than a 360/PS3
November 7, 2006 12:43:37 PM

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok to the OP. It depends on what your $ situation is. If you are on a budget keep what you have for a bit then upgrade later to the new cards. If money is not a problem and there are any games you play that "push" your current hardware then why not upgrade now.

It boils down to what you need or can afford.
November 7, 2006 1:49:00 PM

Hey guys the

Quote:
What's a wii?

was a joke...look down at the bottom of the post - I said
Quote:
just kidding

Anyway I am building a HTPC and will use the 7800 for that. The XTX i will keep as I said yesterday in the 3:54 pm post seems like some poeple missed that so I will say it again. Read my reasons.
November 7, 2006 1:55:07 PM

Patience my friend. Patience. Hold the XTX util mid next year. Sell the GT. Vista will be used only next year. So will be the games for it. DX10 is still young.
November 7, 2006 6:36:53 PM

Come on, let's give them a bit more credit than that. Besides, they're going for innovative game play rather than raw horsepower.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6146540/index.html?tag...;about

Nintendo has been fairly secretive about its new console after announcing it at E3 last year. We know it has an IBM processor and an ATI graphics chip. It's rumored to be two to three times as powerful as the GameCube, but we may never discover the final hardware specifications because Nintendo believes that comparisons should be based on the quality of the games, not on numbers in a specification list.
!