No WPA avail. in XP SP2

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 27, 2004 2:35:07 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi,

I've applied SP2 to my Windows XP Pro. I can browse all accesspoints in the
area - but not connect to my accesspoint using WPA. It never prompts for
passkey. Also - when I try add the AP manually, I cant choose WPA(-SK) - my
only options are WEP or deactivate encryption. Ive reapplied SP2 to be sure
the installation wasnt faulty.

What could be the problem - I've seen the absolutely same on a total
different setup (another pc and AP).

This setup is a Dell Inspiron 4100 with a TrueMobile 1150 mini-pci
connecting to a Dlink 624+. But as mentioned - Ive seen this exactly same
on a IBM T40 and Zyxel equipment.

TIA!!

/Kasper

More about : wpa avail sp2

November 27, 2004 2:35:08 PM

Kasper Carøe Olsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've applied SP2 to my Windows XP Pro. I can browse all accesspoints
> in the area - but not connect to my accesspoint using WPA. It never
> prompts for passkey. Also - when I try add the AP manually, I cant
> choose WPA(-SK) - my only options are WEP or deactivate encryption.
> Ive reapplied SP2 to be sure the installation wasnt faulty.
>
> What could be the problem - I've seen the absolutely same on a total
> different setup (another pc and AP).
>
> This setup is a Dell Inspiron 4100 with a TrueMobile 1150 mini-pci
> connecting to a Dlink 624+. But as mentioned - Ive seen this exactly
> same on a IBM T40 and Zyxel equipment.
>
> TIA!!
>
> /Kasper

Perhaps the hardware in your laptop doesn't support WPA. Only the most
recent wireless cards do.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Oh, and I just might add, that I can connect to my AP using other
computers, so its not because of the AP!

/Kasper
November 27, 2004 11:38:20 PM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:57:32 -0800, Malke wrote:

> Perhaps the hardware in your laptop doesn't support WPA. Only the most
> recent wireless cards do.

yeah, well, actually it was Dell's driver that didn't support WPA. Fitted
with a Agere driver, now it works without any problem. Shame on Dell for
not updating drivers enough!

br,
/Kasper
November 27, 2004 11:38:21 PM

Kasper Carøe Olsen wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:57:32 -0800, Malke wrote:
>
>> Perhaps the hardware in your laptop doesn't support WPA. Only the
>> most recent wireless cards do.
>
> yeah, well, actually it was Dell's driver that didn't support WPA.
> Fitted with a Agere driver, now it works without any problem. Shame on
> Dell for not updating drivers enough!
>
> br,
> /Kasper

I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for posting the solution, and for
letting us all know.

Cheers,

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
November 27, 2004 11:38:22 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cat...
"Malke" <malke@nospoonnotreally.com> wrote in message
> Kasper Carøe Olsen wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:57:32 -0800, Malke wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps the hardware in your laptop doesn't support WPA. Only the
>>> most recent wireless cards do.
>>
>> yeah, well, actually it was Dell's driver that didn't support WPA.
>> Fitted with a Agere driver, now it works without any problem. Shame on
>> Dell for not updating drivers enough!
>>
>> br,
>> /Kasper
>
> I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for posting the solution, and for
> letting us all know.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
November 29, 2004 12:54:43 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Couple of things I found out about Dell is they don't put the update for
network drivers for all the systems. Also they will sell you a wireless card
even if the drivers aren't compatible for your system. They write the
drivers for only certain systems so I have to edit the setup.ini to get the
software to install.
I have an Inspiron 8200 but check the Latitude C840 and Inspiron 8500 for my
drivers. I didn't have to do any editing for the Truemobile 1500 but did for
the Truemobile 1300.
"Kasper Carøe Olsen" <mitfornavn@abkm.dk> wrote in message
news:o rtj0wjvsqw8.1jyrf5hx6tmni$.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:18:58 -0900, Tanya wrote:
>
>> http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cat...
>

> Thanks!
>
> /Kasper
September 28, 2007 10:01:09 PM

Quote:
Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:57:32 -0800, Malke wrote:

> Perhaps the hardware in your laptop doesn't support WPA. Only the most
> recent wireless cards do.

yeah, well, actually it was Dell's driver that didn't support WPA. Fitted
with a Agere driver, now it works without any problem. Shame on Dell for
not updating drivers enough!

br,
/Kasper

September 28, 2007 10:02:53 PM

Do you remember what Agere driver you used to solve the WPA configuration issue on your Dell C840? I am running into the exact same issue. I am happy that you isolated the issue to the Dell driver, but I am having trouble finding it...Thanks for any help.

Quote:
Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:57:32 -0800, Malke wrote:

> Perhaps the hardware in your laptop doesn't support WPA. Only the most
> recent wireless cards do.

yeah, well, actually it was Dell's driver that didn't support WPA. Fitted
with a Agere driver, now it works without any problem. Shame on Dell for
not updating drivers enough!

br,
/Kasper

September 28, 2007 10:04:20 PM

Do you remember what Agere driver you used to resolve the WPA configuration issue on your Dell C840? Thanks!
!