No WPA avail. in XP SP2

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi,

I've applied SP2 to my Windows XP Pro. I can browse all accesspoints in the
area - but not connect to my accesspoint using WPA. It never prompts for
passkey. Also - when I try add the AP manually, I cant choose WPA(-SK) - my
only options are WEP or deactivate encryption. Ive reapplied SP2 to be sure
the installation wasnt faulty.

What could be the problem - I've seen the absolutely same on a total
different setup (another pc and AP).

This setup is a Dell Inspiron 4100 with a TrueMobile 1150 mini-pci
connecting to a Dlink 624+. But as mentioned - Ive seen this exactly same
on a IBM T40 and Zyxel equipment.

TIA!!

/Kasper
10 answers Last reply
More about avail
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Kasper Carøe Olsen wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've applied SP2 to my Windows XP Pro. I can browse all accesspoints
    > in the area - but not connect to my accesspoint using WPA. It never
    > prompts for passkey. Also - when I try add the AP manually, I cant
    > choose WPA(-SK) - my only options are WEP or deactivate encryption.
    > Ive reapplied SP2 to be sure the installation wasnt faulty.
    >
    > What could be the problem - I've seen the absolutely same on a total
    > different setup (another pc and AP).
    >
    > This setup is a Dell Inspiron 4100 with a TrueMobile 1150 mini-pci
    > connecting to a Dlink 624+. But as mentioned - Ive seen this exactly
    > same on a IBM T40 and Zyxel equipment.
    >
    > TIA!!
    >
    > /Kasper

    Perhaps the hardware in your laptop doesn't support WPA. Only the most
    recent wireless cards do.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Oh, and I just might add, that I can connect to my AP using other
    computers, so its not because of the AP!

    /Kasper
  3. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:57:32 -0800, Malke wrote:

    > Perhaps the hardware in your laptop doesn't support WPA. Only the most
    > recent wireless cards do.

    yeah, well, actually it was Dell's driver that didn't support WPA. Fitted
    with a Agere driver, now it works without any problem. Shame on Dell for
    not updating drivers enough!

    br,
    /Kasper
  4. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Kasper Carøe Olsen wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:57:32 -0800, Malke wrote:
    >
    >> Perhaps the hardware in your laptop doesn't support WPA. Only the
    >> most recent wireless cards do.
    >
    > yeah, well, actually it was Dell's driver that didn't support WPA.
    > Fitted with a Agere driver, now it works without any problem. Shame on
    > Dell for not updating drivers enough!
    >
    > br,
    > /Kasper

    I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for posting the solution, and for
    letting us all know.

    Cheers,

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
  5. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cat=all&cs=19&k=truemobile+1150+WPA&img=True&sum=True&qmp=10
    "Malke" <malke@nospoonnotreally.com> wrote in message
    > Kasper Carøe Olsen wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:57:32 -0800, Malke wrote:
    >>
    >>> Perhaps the hardware in your laptop doesn't support WPA. Only the
    >>> most recent wireless cards do.
    >>
    >> yeah, well, actually it was Dell's driver that didn't support WPA.
    >> Fitted with a Agere driver, now it works without any problem. Shame on
    >> Dell for not updating drivers enough!
    >>
    >> br,
    >> /Kasper
    >
    > I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for posting the solution, and for
    > letting us all know.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
  6. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:18:58 -0900, Tanya wrote:

    > http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cat=all&cs=19&k=truemobile+1150+WPA&img=True&sum=True&qmp=10

    Thanks!

    /Kasper
  7. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Couple of things I found out about Dell is they don't put the update for
    network drivers for all the systems. Also they will sell you a wireless card
    even if the drivers aren't compatible for your system. They write the
    drivers for only certain systems so I have to edit the setup.ini to get the
    software to install.
    I have an Inspiron 8200 but check the Latitude C840 and Inspiron 8500 for my
    drivers. I didn't have to do any editing for the Truemobile 1500 but did for
    the Truemobile 1300.
    "Kasper Carøe Olsen" <mitfornavn@abkm.dk> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:18:58 -0900, Tanya wrote:
    >
    >> http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cat=all&cs=19&k=truemobile+1150+WPA&img=True&sum=True&qmp=10
    >

    > Thanks!
    >
    > /Kasper
  8. Quote:
    Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:57:32 -0800, Malke wrote:

    > Perhaps the hardware in your laptop doesn't support WPA. Only the most
    > recent wireless cards do.

    yeah, well, actually it was Dell's driver that didn't support WPA. Fitted
    with a Agere driver, now it works without any problem. Shame on Dell for
    not updating drivers enough!

    br,
    /Kasper
  9. Do you remember what Agere driver you used to solve the WPA configuration issue on your Dell C840? I am running into the exact same issue. I am happy that you isolated the issue to the Dell driver, but I am having trouble finding it...Thanks for any help.

    Quote:
    Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:57:32 -0800, Malke wrote:

    > Perhaps the hardware in your laptop doesn't support WPA. Only the most
    > recent wireless cards do.

    yeah, well, actually it was Dell's driver that didn't support WPA. Fitted
    with a Agere driver, now it works without any problem. Shame on Dell for
    not updating drivers enough!

    br,
    /Kasper
  10. Do you remember what Agere driver you used to resolve the WPA configuration issue on your Dell C840? Thanks!

Configuration Windows XP Wireless Networking