setting up a wireless network--help

maggie

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2002
Archived from groups: (More info?)

I have had my wireless router, adapters, and wireless card (all for different
machines) for almost a year. I cannot get it set up--I am able to connect to
the internet through the "main" computer, but that is about it. I have
contacted the router manufacturer (gateway), but they won't help unless I pay
them something like $75 to tell me where to click to put in what. I get
frustrated, give up for a month or two and then try to set it up again--but
the cycle continues.
so here is the problem...

All computers are running XP home, the router is 802.11b, with 128-bit wep
encryption, the adapters are wbu-110 (both from gateway). I have a cable modem

I went to the wireless networking wizard, and it said that because I don't
have a flash drive I need to input the data manually--my SSID, network key,
etc...So, where do I do this? I tried to go into network connections, under
available wireless networks, and tried to input it but it would never stay in
there.

I don't understand, the key is provided for me, right? so, if it is
provided, why do I have to input it??? But if I uncheck the box that says
the key is provided for me then I can't select anything...and if I can't put
it in then why did the wireless wizard thing tell me that I needed to add it
manually because I don't have a flash drive.

I have also tried to do the network setup wizard, but it keeps saying that
no other computers can connect to the internet through this computer--but I
do have internet access on all the other computers, so what is that about??

I have been told, by someone at gateway, that if all computers have the same
workgroup name that that puts them in your network, but I cannot connect to
the other computer for purposes of playing LAN games, and at this point don't
have file sharing either--which I use to have until we moved a month ago.

Also, I am a bit scared to disable my firewall to connect to the network--if
this is the problem, because when I did it last time I got a few viruses and
had to reformat...it was my understanding that using wep encryption would
help the computer know who was suppose to connect to it (am I wrong?) and if
I have a firewall, at least the computers with the same network key would be
able to get through.

HELP!! Please tell me how to do this as if I were 5 years old, because in
computer years I must be at least that young, if not younger--I haven't
learned the language ;)

I appreciate it. Thanks for your help and I apologize for my wordiness!

Maggie

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi
May be this can Help.
Wireless - Basic: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
As for LAN Sharing - http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"maggie" <maggie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> have file sharing either--which I use to have until we moved a month ago.
>
> Also, I am a bit scared to disable my firewall to connect to the
network--if
> this is the problem, because when I did it last time I got a few viruses
and
> had to reformat...it was my understanding that using wep encryption would
> help the computer know who was suppose to connect to it (am I wrong?) and
if
> I have a firewall, at least the computers with the same network key would
be
> able to get through.
>
> HELP!! Please tell me how to do this as if I were 5 years old, because in
> computer years I must be at least that young, if not younger--I haven't
> learned the language ;)
>
> I appreciate it. Thanks for your help and I apologize for my wordiness!

TW

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
Archived from groups: (More info?)

First, this is for WinXP SP2. SP1 is similar. You should be using the
Wireless Zero Configuration service(WZC) to get started.

If using SP2 then turn OFF the windows firewall.
Go to the control panel, security center, and you will find it there. If you
want a firewall later I suggest going to Zonelabs.com and getting the free
Zonealarm program. This will have to be configured to allow a local LAN, as
will any firewall software.0

Double click the wireless icon in your systray and click view available
wireless networks. Next click properties at the bottom. Click the wireless
network tab at the top. Click properties. Click on the authentication tab at
the top. UNCHECK the box for enable IEEE 802.x authentication for this
network( enabled by default with SP2).

You should disable any WEP keys while trying to create your network. This
includes the router and the cards. I am not familiar with Gateway
products( I use D-Link) but you need to find the admin page on the router to
disable WEP. This is usually done with a wired connection to the router and
using Internet Explorer using 192.168.0.1 in the address bar. This
encryption only encrypts data between the wireless card and the wireless
router, not the entire network. After turning OFF the WEP you should be able
to connect to the router. You will have to go back to the wireless icon and
again go through all the properties sheets and add the SSID then click
connect.

Once you have established a stable WLan then you will need to start securing
it using WEP(64 or 128 bit) with the keys supplied by you. One method is to
use your cell phone number for 64 bit WEP(since your neighbors shouldn't
know this number).
Post back if this doesn't help.

> [...]
> have file sharing either--which I use to have until we moved a month ago.
>
> Also, I am a bit scared to disable my firewall to connect to the
> network--if
> this is the problem, because when I did it last time I got a few viruses
> and
> had to reformat...it was my understanding that using wep encryption would
> help the computer know who was suppose to connect to it (am I wrong?) and
> if
> I have a firewall, at least the computers with the same network key would
> be
> able to get through.
>
> HELP!! Please tell me how to do this as if I were 5 years old, because in
> computer years I must be at least that young, if not younger--I haven't
> learned the language ;)
>
> I appreciate it. Thanks for your help and I apologize for my wordiness!

I disabled all firewalls--I didn't have the windows one on, but had norton
internet security on...then I got into the router, but I had not turned WEP
on at 192.168.1.1, which was what I thought--I couldn't figure out why my
computer is making me do WEP when I hadn't configured it...then I went to the
network connections, properties, and clicked on authentication and turned off
the IEEE 802.x, but after all this, I could not find the wireless network tab
on this computer, only the authentication tab...on the other computers I can
find the wireless network tab, but it will not keep the SSID and network key
that I entered.

When I click on the wireless network wizard (or something like that), it
gives me the SSID and the network key, and tells me to manually input it into
the other machines...I don't know where this comes from, but it seems like it
is already entered and I can't do anything about it, and I can't figure out
how to change it or even where it is entered, because I cannot find the
wireless network tab...UGH.

Also, how do I know that I have a stable WLAN?

I want to point out that I can connect to the internet through "Gateway"
SSID, which is the "available" network...I deleted the "Gateway" preferred
network because I wondered if that was the problem, because I wanted it to
connect to the other preferred network...I even tried to move it up or down,
but it still showed that I could not connect to it...but deleting didn't do
anything, so I need to add it again--the network that I want "blue", for
example, in the preferred network slot says that I cannot connect to it,
because, I assume, that the network keys don't match. Something is already
entered in the "blue" preferred network key slot--that is maybe 10 characters
long, and whenever I try to put in the actual network key and click ok, but
then go back to see if it stayed, it is back to the 10 characters long thing.
The network key that I was given is 26 characters long.

The box that says Use windows to configure my wireless network settings is
checked and when I uncheck it then I can't do anything. I can't add a
preferred network, I can't get into properties of any of the networks...

I do appreciate the help and wish that I understood this better. I tried to
go to the web sites that Jack provided, but the problem seems to be with me
entering it into my other computers, and I think that the web sites were more
about entering it into the router...

Anyway, thank you again.
Maggie

TW

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
Archived from groups: (More info?)

You are getting close.
Judging by your last post, the SSID on the router is GATEWAY. You can and
should change it to something else like HOME or MINE. It seems that your
computer was in fact seeing the SSID GATEWAY. Once you set up the router
with your own SSID(don't forget to unplug and plug back in the router after
the change) your computer should see the new SSID. You will know that its
the router due to the new SSID. On the computer make sure to disable WEP and
IEE802.x and set network authentication to open. Your computer should now
see the Wireless and you will need to add to your preferred networks.

By a stable network I mean that you can connect to the router and stay
connected wirelessly.
Post back if you still can't get it working.

> [...]
> entered in the "blue" preferred network key slot--that is maybe 10
> characters
> long, and whenever I try to put in the actual network key and click ok,
> but
> then go back to see if it stayed, it is back to the 10 characters long
> thing.
> The network key that I was given is 26 characters long.
>
> The box that says Use windows to configure my wireless network settings is
> checked and when I uncheck it then I can't do anything. I can't add a
> preferred network, I can't get into properties of any of the networks...
>
> I do appreciate the help and wish that I understood this better. I tried
> go to the web sites that Jack provided, but the problem seems to be with
> me
> entering it into my other computers, and I think that the web sites were

I thought I had it, just for about 2 hours, but then something happened and I
can't even connect to the internet on my other machines! I was never able to
do WEP--one reason is because I used the passphrase and it generated a key
(what exactly is a passphrase anyway, does it replace the key so that I can
use it instead of the key??) but the key was different than the key that was
given to me by the wireless network wizard. I don't understand...do I use the
key given to me by the wireless wizard (which is the same every time) or do I
use the one that I get from the router (or whatever it is at that URL)?

I was networked for about 2 hours, like I said, and then something happened.
I did not change anything--we were actually playing a game when it happened,
and now we can't even connect to the internet!

I have reset the modem and the router, have gone back to that URL and
re-entered everything, changing the SSID, but I am afraid to set the WEP
because I cannot enter it at all into the network connections tab, or
whatever--whenever I try and then I go back to look if it saved it is about
half as long as what I typed...also, are you suppose to have to enter in the
key every single time you want to connect??? because this is what it kept
asking me to do and then when I restarted everything, it wouldn't connect at
all and I had to open available networks and click on a box that said "this
is an unsecured network, but connect anyway" or something like that--but it
didn't really work, after just a bit I wasn't able to connect to the
internet, wasn't able to see workgroup computers (which is weird because I
could always see them and connect to the internet).

So now I do not have a stable WLAN, which I had before, and I can't see my
workgroup computers...I still do not have any firewalls up and am not sure
what to do...

HELP!!!

Thanks again,
Maggie

TW

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
Archived from groups: (More info?)

You don't need the network wizard. If you can see the unsecured network you
can connect to it. You don't need a key until you turn on WEP.
Try rebooting the modem and then the router and then the wireless computer
in that order. The reason for this is the modem gets an IP address from your
ISP. Next the router gets its IP from the modem, and finally the computer
gets an IP from the router. After rebooting everything try to connect to the
unsecured wireless network. If it asks you to supply a key(even though it
shows up as unsecured) then you must have a setting on the computer set to
secured.

Turn off IEE 802.x authentication. This is used for a network with a server.

Set authentication to open. After rereading your last post, this could be
the main problem. A shared passphrase is setup on the router and then all
wireless computers must know this phrase. When the computer connects with
the passphrase the router sends a key to the computer. Using this you don't
need to know the key just the passphrase. Once connected the router will
change the key periodically using the four keys setup in the router.

Disable WEP. Make sure key is supplied for me is unchecked.

In the advanced properties for wireless networks check the infrastructure
box. Make sure there is no check in the connect to unprefered networks box.

Enter the SSID and click connect.
Post back and let everyone know if you get this working