good scanner for ocr

i am looking for a good and fast scanner for ocr work, using Finereader 6
or 7
Any suggestion?
3 answers Last reply
More about good scanner

    "Luca" <niente@spam.it> wrote in message
    > i am looking for a good and fast scanner for ocr work, using Finereader 6
    > or 7
    > Any suggestion?

    Any scanner that can scan at 300 to 600 dpi in B&W, Gray Scale and/or color
    and handle the paper size will do to produce a image that can be OCRed.

    Even the cheapest scanner you can buy will work for OCR.

    OCR software makes a huge difference in the results.
    Some OCR software does a very poor job.

    The best OCR software is only about 99% accurate.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 05:09:08 GMT in alt.comp.periphs.scanner, "CSM1"
    <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote:

    >"Luca" <niente@spam.it> wrote in message
    >> i am looking for a good and fast scanner for ocr work, using Finereader 6
    >> or 7
    >> Any suggestion?
    >>
    >Any scanner that can scan at 300 to 600 dpi in B&W, Gray Scale and/or color
    >and handle the paper size will do to produce a image that can be OCRed.
    >
    >Even the cheapest scanner you can buy will work for OCR.
    >
    >OCR software makes a huge difference in the results.
    >Some OCR software does a very poor job.
    >
    >The best OCR software is only about 99% accurate.
    The best OCR software is very expensive.
    COTS retail OCR software packages are only about 90% accurate, a bit
    more if straight commercial text, or legal or medical texts used with
    specialized dictionaries, less in other technical areas, particularly
    if a variety of punctuation, special characters, or symbols are
    involved; better if continuously formed fixed width fonts, worse if
    with small fonts, line printer, or dot matrix output.

    Brian.Inglis@CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
    fake address use address above to reply
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    "Luca" <niente@spam.it> wrote in message news:<_z6Td.48157$QG6.856483@twister2.libero.it>...
    > i am looking for a good and fast scanner for ocr work, using Finereader 6
    > or 7
    > Any suggestion?

    I tried HP ScanJet 7450 (now discontinued) with ADF. Manually, takes
    15sec per A4pag on 300dpi resolution. The use of ADF is subject to
    many jumps. Without them it will be half the time of manual scanning.

    I would be curious to know if the HP new scanner 82xx series is faster
    than HP 74xx series (the 82xx series with the ADF are a bit expensive
    though).

    Canon 3200F seems also fast. The drawback is that the size is strictly
    A4, not Legal paper (legal sizw allows to scan a page of a textbook).

    I would interested to know other models with the speed too.

Scanners Peripherals