  • Scanners
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 24, 2005 12:28:26 AM

i am looking for a good and fast scanner for ocr work, using Finereader 6
or 7
Any suggestion?

More about : good scanner ocr

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 8:09:08 AM

"Luca" <niente@spam.it> wrote in message
> i am looking for a good and fast scanner for ocr work, using Finereader 6
> or 7
> Any suggestion?

Any scanner that can scan at 300 to 600 dpi in B&W, Gray Scale and/or color
and handle the paper size will do to produce a image that can be OCRed.

Even the cheapest scanner you can buy will work for OCR.

OCR software makes a huge difference in the results.
Some OCR software does a very poor job.

The best OCR software is only about 99% accurate.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 05:09:08 GMT in alt.comp.periphs.scanner, "CSM1"
<nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote:

>"Luca" <niente@spam.it> wrote in message
>> i am looking for a good and fast scanner for ocr work, using Finereader 6
>> or 7
>> Any suggestion?
>>
>Any scanner that can scan at 300 to 600 dpi in B&W, Gray Scale and/or color
>and handle the paper size will do to produce a image that can be OCRed.
>
>Even the cheapest scanner you can buy will work for OCR.
>
>OCR software makes a huge difference in the results.
>Some OCR software does a very poor job.
>
>The best OCR software is only about 99% accurate.
The best OCR software is very expensive.
COTS retail OCR software packages are only about 90% accurate, a bit
more if straight commercial text, or legal or medical texts used with
specialized dictionaries, less in other technical areas, particularly
if a variety of punctuation, special characters, or symbols are
involved; better if continuously formed fixed width fonts, worse if
with small fonts, line printer, or dot matrix output.

Brian.Inglis@CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply
March 10, 2005 11:53:54 AM

"Luca" <niente@spam.it> wrote in message news:<_z6Td.48157$QG6.856483@twister2.libero.it>...
> i am looking for a good and fast scanner for ocr work, using Finereader 6
> or 7
> Any suggestion?

I tried HP ScanJet 7450 (now discontinued) with ADF. Manually, takes
15sec per A4pag on 300dpi resolution. The use of ADF is subject to
many jumps. Without them it will be half the time of manual scanning.

I would be curious to know if the HP new scanner 82xx series is faster
than HP 74xx series (the 82xx series with the ADF are a bit expensive
though).

Canon 3200F seems also fast. The drawback is that the size is strictly
A4, not Legal paper (legal sizw allows to scan a page of a textbook).

I would interested to know other models with the speed too.
!