formatting win xp pro drive

I am trying to format a hard drive and keep getting an error when I try to
run the format c: command from the command window. It says it cannot format
the drive because it is being used, do I want to force a dismount. When I
say yes it says it cannot and make sure no utilities or other applications
are using drive. Nothing seems to be running and after shutting down
numerous processes I still get the same error. I have formatted win 98se
machines before this way with no problem, just can't seem to figure this out.
Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about formatting drive

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "rb78" wrote:

    | I am trying to format a hard drive and keep getting an error when I try to
    | run the format c: command from the command window. It says it cannot format
    | the drive because it is being used, do I want to force a dismount. When I
    | say yes it says it cannot and make sure no utilities or other applications
    | are using drive. Nothing seems to be running and after shutting down
    | numerous processes I still get the same error. I have formatted win 98se
    | machines before this way with no problem, just can't seem to figure this out.
    | Thanks.

    I had thought there might be utility on the cd, however my cd is an upgrade
    cd and I did not see any option like you would see on a NT disc.

    What I wanted to do was format this drive, reinstall win 98se with the
    original disc and then run the upgrade as had been originally done (since I
    don't have any full version discs).

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    > to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    > Windows XP to partition and format your drive:
    >
    > NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    > devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.
    >
    > NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    > EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    > hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    > After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.
    >
    > 1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".
    >
    > ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    > ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
    >
    > 2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    > 3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    > 4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    > Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    > partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.
    >
    > 5. Clean Install Windows XP
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]
    >
    > 6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    > ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    >
    > 7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    > and download the available "Critical Updates".
    >
    > 8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    > of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    > available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    > and audio drivers.
    >
    > 9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:
    >
    > How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_setup.htm
    >
    > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "rb78" wrote:
    >
    > | I am trying to format a hard drive and keep getting an error when I try to
    > | run the format c: command from the command window. It says it cannot format
    > | the drive because it is being used, do I want to force a dismount. When I
    > | say yes it says it cannot and make sure no utilities or other applications
    > | are using drive. Nothing seems to be running and after shutting down
    > | numerous processes I still get the same error. I have formatted win 98se
    > | machines before this way with no problem, just can't seem to figure this out.
    > | Thanks.

    You do not need to reinstall W98 first. The upgrade WinXP install
    will ask for a qualifying product at some point during the install.
    You simply put the Win 98 disk in for it to be verified. The Win XP
    install will then complete.

    In news:D7AC589D-758B-43AA-B5AD-F3E009B7334C@microsoft.com,
    rb78 <rb78@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    >I am trying to format a hard drive and keep getting an error
    >when I
    > try to run the format c: command from the command window. It
    > says it
    > cannot format the drive because it is being used, do I want to
    > force
    > a dismount. When I say yes it says it cannot and make sure no
    > utilities or other applications are using drive. Nothing seems
    > to be
    > running and after shutting down numerous processes I still get
    > the
    > same error. I have formatted win 98se machines before this way
    > with
    > no problem, just can't seem to figure this out. Thanks.

    You can't format the Windows drive from within Windows, since
    that would leave Windows without a leg to stand on.

    Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
    necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
    installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
    prompted, then create a new one).

    You can find detailed instructions here:

    or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

    or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    rb78 wrote:
    > I am trying to format a hard drive and keep getting an error when I try to
    > run the format c: command from the command window. It says it cannot format
    > the drive because it is being used, do I want to force a dismount. When I
    > say yes it says it cannot and make sure no utilities or other applications
    > are using drive. Nothing seems to be running and after shutting down
    > numerous processes I still get the same error. I have formatted win 98se
    > machines before this way with no problem, just can't seem to figure this out.
    > Thanks.

    It sounds like you're trying to format the drive containing the
    system volume from within WinXP. You can't. This would be the computer
    equivalent of sawing off the tree limb you're sitting on, and WinXP is
    "too smart" to allow this.

    Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    rb78 wrote:
    > I am trying to format a hard drive and keep getting an error when I
    > try to run the format c: command from the command window. It says it
    > cannot format the drive because it is being used, do I want to force
    > a dismount. When I say yes it says it cannot and make sure no
    > utilities or other applications are using drive. Nothing seems to be
    > running and after shutting down numerous processes I still get the
    > same error. I have formatted win 98se machines before this way with
    > no problem, just can't seem to figure this out. Thanks.

    Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
    if using the web based newsgroup.
    Format XP
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

Formatting Format Command Prompt Windows XP