SP2 broke my SFC

I've been struggling with a problem regarding the system file checker ever
since I installed sp2 (about two months ago). I am not having any particular
problem with my system, I just wanted to check everything after the sp2
install to ensure that all is ok. SFC is the only thing I found that is
having a problem since then.
Here's the deal. SFC worked fine prior to sp2 install. SFC no longer
works flawlessly since the sp2 install. Each time I try to run it, I get the
dreaded error message "files needed for windows to run properly must be
copied to the .dll cache. Insert your windows xp professional cd-rom now".

To research my problem I went here:
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
and I did try each fix suggested there. Nothing suggested there will fix the
problem.
My i386 folder is on my hard drive as, C:\i386 and the registry entry is
configured thus:
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup
and the value of the sourcepath there is C:\

Other registry values that I thought might be complicating this are as
follows:
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windowsNT\currentversion
and that sourcepath value is D:\ ---(my stuff is oem so the original install
files are on the recovery partition on a drive labeled D:\ but nevertheless
all are on the same hard drive. I only have one).
and, hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup
and the ServicePackSourepath value there is C:\windows\ServicePackFiles

I think I've tried every suggested fix out there. I've changed the
sourcepath values to C:\i386, C:\windows, C:windows\i386,
C:\windows\ServicePackFiles, as I have a copy of the i386 folder in those
locations (How many copies of that thing must I have? Can I safely delete any
of those?)
.....I tried copying the i386 folder from the oem recovery cd's to get a
fresh copy on the hard drive, I've even put the recovery cd that has the i386
folder in the cd-rom drive while I issued the command, but none of those
things will stop the #!*%ing error message to insert the cd so windows can
copy the files to the .dll cache. I've checked my core files to see if any
are compressed. Some where so I decompressed them to no avail.
Is there a test I can run to see if sfc is replacing missing or corrupt
files? How can I be sure if it is replacing missing files with the correct
sp2 level files?
The only thing left for me to do I think is to fetch my .357 magnum and
put some holes in this thing.

PLEASE! In the name of all that's holy, if there is anyone out there who has
mastered this SFC /scannow problem...Let me hear some encouraging words from
you.
vet

1972vet wrote:
> I've been struggling with a problem regarding the system file checker
> ever since I installed sp2 (about two months ago). I am not having
> any particular problem with my system, I just wanted to check
> everything after the sp2 install to ensure that all is ok. SFC is the
> only thing I found that is having a problem since then.
> Here's the deal. SFC worked fine prior to sp2 install. SFC no longer
> works flawlessly since the sp2 install. Each time I try to run it, I
> get the dreaded error message "files needed for windows to run
> properly must be copied to the .dll cache. Insert your windows xp
> professional cd-rom now".
>
> To research my problem I went here:
> http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
> and I did try each fix suggested there. Nothing suggested there will
> fix the problem.
> My i386 folder is on my hard drive as, C:\i386 and the registry entry
> is configured thus:
> hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup
> and the value of the sourcepath there is C:\
>
> Other registry values that I thought might be complicating this are as
> follows:
> hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windowsNT\currentversion
> and that sourcepath value is D:\ ---(my stuff is oem so the original
> install files are on the recovery partition on a drive labeled D:\
> but nevertheless all are on the same hard drive. I only have one).
> and,
> hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup
> and the ServicePackSourepath value there is
> C:\windows\ServicePackFiles
>
> I think I've tried every suggested fix out there. I've changed the
> sourcepath values to C:\i386, C:\windows, C:windows\i386,
> C:\windows\ServicePackFiles, as I have a copy of the i386 folder in
> those locations (How many copies of that thing must I have? Can I
> safely delete any of those?)
> ....I tried copying the i386 folder from the oem recovery cd's to get
> a fresh copy on the hard drive, I've even put the recovery cd that
> has the i386 folder in the cd-rom drive while I issued the command,
> but none of those things will stop the #!*%ing error message to
> insert the cd so windows can copy the files to the .dll cache. I've
> checked my core files to see if any are compressed. Some where so I
> decompressed them to no avail.
> Is there a test I can run to see if sfc is replacing missing or
> corrupt files? How can I be sure if it is replacing missing files
> with the correct sp2 level files?
> The only thing left for me to do I think is to fetch my .357 magnum
> and
> put some holes in this thing.
>
> PLEASE! In the name of all that's holy, if there is anyone out there
> who has mastered this SFC /scannow problem...Let me hear some
> encouraging words from you.
> vet

So, what happens when you insert the CD, then?
on salads.

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:39:02 -0800, 1972vet wrote:

> "I've even put the recovery cd that has the i386
> folder in the cd-rom drive while I issued the command, but none of those
> things will stop the #!*%ing error message to insert the cd so windows can
> copy the files to the .dll cache."

Try selecting the i386 folder on the CD or the Windows\ServicePackFiles
folder when you hit on those files that SFC complains about.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Since installing SP2 SFC won't work.
I get the message "wrong CD " when it asks for the windows CD.

ijopper@bellsouth.net

"1972vet" <1972vet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> fresh copy on the hard drive, I've even put the recovery cd that has the
> i386
> folder in the cd-rom drive while I issued the command, but none of those
> things will stop the #!*%ing error message to insert the cd so windows can
> copy the files to the .dll cache. I've checked my core files to see if any
> are compressed. Some where so I decompressed them to no avail.
> Is there a test I can run to see if sfc is replacing missing or corrupt
> files? How can I be sure if it is replacing missing files with the correct
> sp2 level files?
> The only thing left for me to do I think is to fetch my .357 magnum and
> put some holes in this thing.
>
> PLEASE! In the name of all that's holy, if there is anyone out there who
> has
> mastered this SFC /scannow problem...Let me hear some encouraging words

Point it to C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com