Buy an AMD CPU and get an ATi GPU free... :o)

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Well the only thing now is that Intel and nVidia merge and we've lesser options.

Let Microsoft lock Linux somehow and we're definitely up sh it's creek!

I'm no advocate of any manufacturer. I use/buy what is right at the time I buy for me.

This merger with A(Ti)MD is definitely going to influence a lot of people's decisions in upgrading/buying their next CPU.

Opinions...people. I don't post here that much anymore but I still do read the forums.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the topic yet. Don't want to start a flame war. Like I said, I am not a fan of either of the CPU, GPU manufacturers. As a matter of fact I'm using all 4 in one way or another.

I am tending towards Intel's Core2Duo Procs. I have a friend who recently bought a Toshiba laptop with said processor and ATi's X1400 and I was amazed at its performance.

Definitely going laptop because of its portability. Had a Sony Vaio w/ the Pentium M but I sold that to my Dad so I can get my hands on a C2D system.

Does anyone have the new Dell laptops with the Turion CPUs in them? I was thinking of getting one of those because of the GPU in it. ATi's 1150 mobile. Not sure if this is a stand alone GPU or IGP type like Intel's.

I play AmericasArmyOnline. That's it as far as the gaming scene is concerned.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I keep hearing the word MERGER being used and I'm pretty sure that AMD BOUGHT ATI for a few billion buckaroos. Shouldn't we be calling it ASSIMLATION? BTW, what was the point of this post exactly?

mandraque

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I keep hearing the word MERGER being used and I'm pretty sure that AMD BOUGHT ATI for a few billion buckaroos. Shouldn't we be calling it ASSIMLATION? BTW, what was the point of this post exactly?

exactly, the OP confused me like crazy.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
You need to change the title of your thread from what it is to something like "this is a whole bunch of random unrelated computer thoughts".

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
If you haven't seen this being discussed you didn't look hard enough, as it has been a tropic since the merger was announced, quite a while ago.

Why do people allways seem to think that Intel need Nvidia?

Nvidia didn't create Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950(just an example) and in fact Intel, with their onboard graphics, are the grapics in most computers today. They're not top notch, but they do what they're supposed to.

The reason is that not all computers are made for high end gaming and for the big rest (offices, factories, people who just e-mail, ect.) graphics just have to do the job. Actually this is quite a big market, where Intel so far have been alone with their onboard solution.
That is probably why this is one of the first place I expect the merger to attack. Radeon is a better name than Intel GMA, when it comes to graphics, and it's likely that AMD could make a solution that gives the same, or more, performance pr. watt, if you count the whole system. This might not be important for the ordinary user, but for a company that buys a coupple of hundred PCs this can be felt on the bottom line;)

Actually I like the merger as it makes AMD and Intel more equal, which can only translate into more competition = better products, faster and at a lower price.

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Sorry guys, my thoughts were jumbled when I posted this. Actually what I wanted to post is not for this thread.

I apologize for even sending it. After reading all of your input. You're all correct. Can one of the moderators erase this complete thread?

Stupid of me and no, I don't normally post like this.

Again my apologies.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the topic yet.

Oh, it's been mentioned. It hasn't been done to death like C2D vs. A64, but it has been discussed.

One thing that is pretty scary is that if AMD ever was to fold we'd be left with a monopoly in both the CPU and GPU market.

Hmmmm, let's debate the options if AMD was to cease to exist:

Option 1:
Intel CPU, nVidia GPU, Microsoft OS

Option 2: See option 1

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Hmm. What if Apple went under? What if Ford went under? What if a lot of companies went under? Well I guess the world would just go on. Who cares?

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
I just hope that AMD and ATi do not fold otherwise we're up shit's creek as far as choices go. Funny thing...if my title was to say anything what do you think the majority of people would buy for Christmas presents? I mean look at BenQ/Siemens in Europe. Folded overnight and left all those pour souls working for them with no hope. I was going to get BenQ as a mobile phone next but I'm going to stick to SonyEricsson as I see it.

I guess that's where I was headed with this thread. Duh
Dell/Alienware/EMC/Lexmark for example, just imagine this giant getting toppled! Wouldn't that be a financial catastrophe. Then imagine for some reason it took Microsoft down with it?!?! We'd all be buying Apple. They're definitely sexy!

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
You guys honestly don't think that someone else would rise to take their place? Someone would. It might be a couple of years, maybe half a decade, but nobody can have a monopoly on a product. There are already other chip designers and so on, and actually a fresh view could help things. Let's not forget the parts of the world where a lot of our products are made...don't think there isn't an Asian somewhere who wouldn't start a new company with his knowledge if ATi ended up on the operating table.

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
If I had the financial backing I would. I have enough ideas in my head but to get the damn things patented, tested and pass safety tests. All that costs. Mucho DINERO my friend.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
That's why you find financial partners that believe in your ideas, like a tech company. Learn CAD, draw it up, get it patented. It's not that hard to get a "patent pending" status.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
It's true. Some freshman from my highschool (few years ago) got a patent on an indoor marshmallow roasting thing. It was pretty lame but he made a quick buck when some "As Seen On T.V." company picked him up and gave him $15,000 for the rights to produce them.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Yep. Just look at all the worthless crap people sell. As tough a question as the meaning of life is: "Why are women compelled to buy so many damned decorations that clutter up a home?"