Stay with what I got or...

sorrowfox

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
Hey, my Mother board recently crapped out on me, a nice socket 478 p4 3.2..

Having issues finding an ATX board for it, so I'm wondering if I should get a new CPU instead and upgrade. My question is, should I bother? should i grab a Dual Core and try to OC it? (Never OCed before) if so, would it be better than my P4 3.2? I currently have 4 512 sticks of DDR ram at 400mhz.

sorrowfox

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
Budget? I'm not sure yet.. waiting on a settlement check, bills first etc.. So figure Cheap with the possibility to go up later.

Sad thing is, I have a decent GPU, but it's an AGP.
And I'm looking at the Antec Sonata II to solve my case/psu problem.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Well without knowing a budget or a purpose it's kinda difficult to say.

As a base, an AM2 3800+ X2 is one of the best value CPUs you can get, so building around that CPU could be a good place to start. If you have a bit more cash, a Core 2 Duo 6300 could be a good option.

sorrowfox

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah, it sucks not even knowing your own budget.. So I'm just trying to get all the info I can. I think I'll most probably go with the C2D.

I got a stupid newb question about that though, the boards I see rarely say anything about C2D and mostly say Pentium D.. Is that their short hand or a whole other CPU?

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Pentium D was the name of all the old dual core CPUs. Basically, Pentium is now dead and Core 2 is the new CPU. It's way better in every way.

An E6300 is a great CPU, and can overclock loads if that's your bag. They're pretty cheap, too.

Look for motherboards with a 965 chipset, they're cheaper than 975 and you'll not notice the difference.

Go for 2gb RAM if you can.

What are you going to be primarily using this system for?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Hey, my Mother board recently crapped out on me, a nice socket 478 p4 3.2..

Having issues finding an ATX board for it, so I'm wondering if I should get a new CPU instead and upgrade. My question is, should I bother? should i grab a Dual Core and try to OC it? (Never OCed before) if so, would it be better than my P4 3.2? I currently have 4 512 sticks of DDR ram at 400mhz.

Since you have 2GB DDR your best bet would be this

Gigabyte

4200+

The two together are around $250..

You could also replace the mobo for cheaper but you at least get an automatic upgrade to dual core for $250. I don't think anyone here would recommend staying with P4 though.

I got a stupid newb question about that though, the boards I see rarely say anything about C2D and mostly say Pentium D.. Is that their short hand or a whole other CPU?

There's actually a decent number of motherboards out there that does support the Core 2 Duo. Click on the following list:

List of C2D compatible motherboards. - This list doesn't provide all the compatible mobos, but it is a start.

Another list of mobo using the P965 chipset.

There are a few chipsets used by these mobos. It would be best to go with the P965 or the 975X chipset. But those can be relatively expensive especially a mobo using the 975X chipset.

If I was on a budget, I would probably get the ECS nForce 570 SLIT-A motherboard (click here). It is $80 after a $20 mail-in rebate. However, it will only work with DDR2 533 or DDR2 667 RAM that only needs 1.8v, any RAM requiring 1.9v or more will not work on this mobo.

Another mobo you may want to consider if $80 is too much and you don't want to deal with mail-in rebates is the ECS P4M890T-M2 Micro-ATX mobo (click here) for $52. The good thing about this mobo is that you can use DDR 400 RAM and DDR2 533 RAM. But there are only 2 slot for each type of RAM, therefore you will only have 1GB of RAM should you decide to use the DDR 400 you have right now.

If it was me who had to selected a cheap motherboard, then I guess I would go for the ECS P965T-A ATX mobo for $65 after a $20 rebate. The P965 chipset is designed with Core 2 Duo in mind. It supports up to DDR2 800 RAM.

I have no experience with the motherboards I mentioned above. I merely selected them based on price and user reviews. So read the reviews and decide for yourself which best fits your budget and needs.

Me? I have the MSI 975X Platinum (Rev. 2) mobo, but it is $170. Then again it was $200 when I bought it.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
It looks like a good board.

The Core 2 build I did used Corsair RAM and worked very nicely indeed.

I hear that OCZ isn't great with Core 2 CPUs, so perhaps steer clear of that.

sorrowfox

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
I just fear that I'm getting some thing slower than my old one.

Any hoot, are there 1g ram sticks out there that are 1.8v?! the corsair site doesn't even have the board listed as compatible.. any 965's. checking the others

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
All Core 2 Duo processors are faster than all Pentium 4 and Pentium D processors (I'm pretty sure that's right, anyhow it's faster than your old 478 socket 3.2)

Seriously, you're gonna get a better system.

I scribbled an MSI board on a pad and put it aside.. bit coffee stained now, but I wonder if this is good enough
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=P965_Neo-F&class=mb

with an EC6300 C2D, hunting down memory right now.

It seems to be a good board. I didn't recommend it because it got 3 stars from newegg reviewers, but that's not totally reliable source of info. It seems most of the complaints are about the JMicron chipset for drives. But those complaints would be true for any mobo using that chipset, not just this board.

Newegg customer reviews

Just be aware to two minor issues with MSI mobos:

1. The utility programs that comes with the MSI mobos are crap. Google a program called Core Temp 0.9 if you want to measure CPU temperatures.

2. The BIOS has a small glitch. Your RAM will be reported slower than it actually is. No big deal really, all you would need to do is manually adjust the FSB setting. For example, I have DDR2 667 RAM, but BIOS detects it as DDR2 533 and sets the FSB to 266 (533 / 2). To fix that I merely increased the FSB to 333 (667 / 2). Not a big deal.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Budget? I'm not sure yet.. waiting on a settlement check, bills first etc.. So figure Cheap with the possibility to go up later.

Sad thing is, I have a decent GPU, but it's an AGP.
And I'm looking at the Antec Sonata II to solve my case/psu problem.

If you go with Core 2 you will need a new GPU also. Only a few companies still have mobos with AGP.

You might as well plan on a total upgrade.

sorrowfox

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah, I looked! all I ever found were MATX, so I could have only used 2 of my 4 sticks of ram.. I have the curse of looking for one thing and never finding, but when you look for some thing else... suddenly theres a buttload of the other.

If you go with Core 2 you will need a new GPU also. Only a few companies still have mobos with AGP.

You might as well plan on a total upgrade.

I can slap in a cheap PCI GPU and sit tight a bit. Right now I just want it up and running so I can get off my moms P3! ATI has some trade-in thing, but my radeon 9800 came with my dell... so.. wishfull thinking probably.