Wireless Network Security for Dummies, Please

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I am completely new to this issue and basically “computer illiterate�, so
please forgive my naivety. However, I am able to follow step-by-step
instructions in user guides etc., as long as they do not use too much jargon.

Have followed multifarious threads in these User Groups, over the past few
days, trying to understand security and encryption etc of wireless networks
(before I went ahead and tried anything myself). Unfortunately, I became
totally confused and disillusioned.

All my home PCs, laptops and peripherals (network router & wireless
adaptors) are Dell and have XP with SP2. Initial setup was relatively simple
and the network has been working great for over 18 months. However, I had not
had the time (nor the courage, nor the inclination) to tackle
encryption/security. Especially as we have no near neighbours. Therefore, I
have simply relied on Norton Internet Security Pro 2002, Windows Firewall &
Spybot.

From the threads, and bearing in mind the numerous problems of hardware &
software configuration & incompatibility and the SP2 issue etc., which so
many people are experiencing, I had decided, over the weekend, that security
was not a priority (at least for me). It was more important to keep a network
that just worked.

However, it occurred to me that inputting the MAC addresses of the network
adaptors into the router (and nothing else) could possibly be much easier(?)
than & just as secure(?) as encryption (and without signal strength loss(?)
nor transmission speed loss(?)).

This I have now done. In total it took less than 10 minutes, including the
time to read the 5 MAC addresses on the adaptors/ cards, input them onto the
router and reboot (took longer to find the router’s original installation CD,
which contained the User Guide).

Now only the designated PC’s can connect to my network. However, the Windows
XP “Wireless Network Connection� box tells me that the network is “Unsecured�
and “configured for open access�. This I guess is because it is not
encrypted.

I am obviously deluding myself as I have not found absolutely any reference
to it at all in any of the threads anywhere. So what basic facts am I
missing? What are the dangers/weaknesses of this solution?

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi

Bear in mind that though the same word Security is used to describe secure
Internet Connection and Secure Wireless, there is No real relation between
the two

Norton Internet Security is a Firewall; Wireless Security has Nothing to do
with Firewalls.

Wireless is just a replacement for a Wire and thus can be intercepted by
people in the neighborhood attaching then self to your LAN. That why there
is Wireless Security measures to avoid Local Tapping. These measure are
unique only the Wireless itself, and has to be used even if there is No
Internet Connection.

Link to: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

The Firewall "Job" is to protect the Internet connection from being
invaded, and to prevent your LAN computers from transmitting out to the
Internet privileged information.

Each computer on your Network that has access to the Internet should have
its own Firewall regardless of whether you use Wire or Wireless.

Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html

In addition you should have tools available if your computers get Infested.

Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"John TCI" <JohnTCI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am completely new to this issue and basically "computer illiterate", so
> please forgive my naivety. However, I am able to follow step-by-step
> instructions in user guides etc., as long as they do not use too much
jargon.

> Have followed multifarious threads in these User Groups, over the past few
> days, trying to understand security and encryption etc of wireless
networks
> (before I went ahead and tried anything myself). Unfortunately, I became
> totally confused and disillusioned.
>
> All my home PCs, laptops and peripherals (network router & wireless
> adaptors) are Dell and have XP with SP2. Initial setup was relatively
simple
> and the network has been working great for over 18 months. However, I had
not
> had the time (nor the courage, nor the inclination) to tackle
> encryption/security. Especially as we have no near neighbours. Therefore,
> have simply relied on Norton Internet Security Pro 2002, Windows Firewall
&
> Spybot.
>
> From the threads, and bearing in mind the numerous problems of hardware &
> software configuration & incompatibility and the SP2 issue etc., which so
> many people are experiencing, I had decided, over the weekend, that
security
> was not a priority (at least for me). It was more important to keep a
network
> that just worked.
>
> However, it occurred to me that inputting the MAC addresses of the network
> adaptors into the router (and nothing else) could possibly be much
easier(?)
> than & just as secure(?) as encryption (and without signal strength
loss(?)
> nor transmission speed loss(?)).
>
> This I have now done. In total it took less than 10 minutes, including the
> time to read the 5 MAC addresses on the adaptors/ cards, input them onto
the
> router and reboot (took longer to find the router's original installation
CD,
> which contained the User Guide).
>
> Now only the designated PC's can connect to my network. However, the
Windows
> XP "Wireless Network Connection" box tells me that the network is
"Unsecured"
> and "configured for open access". This I guess is because it is not
> encrypted.
>
> I am obviously deluding myself as I have not found absolutely any
reference
> to it at all in any of the threads anywhere. So what basic facts am I
> missing? What are the dangers/weaknesses of this solution?

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi John,

Jack answered a bunch of your questions in his followup post, but I
wanted to make a couple of points in addition.

Entering the MAC addresses of your wireless cards into the router makes
use of a feature called 'MAC address filtering'. Ideally this should only
let the computers you own become active participants in your wireless
network. However, MAC address filtering is not a secure solution for a
wireless network. It can be defeated very easily, because:
1) the data you are sending between your computers and router is still
unencrypted and anyone close enough can listen to it (it's just radio waves)
2) it's fairly easy to spoof MAC addresses (here's a link to a product
that does this: http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac/ )

If you want to improve the security of your wireless network, you have
to configure your computers and router for encryption.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_concept_wireless_security.mspx

Thanks,
Chris Gual [MSFT]

"Chris Gual [MSFT]" wrote:
> 2) it's fairly easy to spoof MAC addresses (here's a link to a product
> that does this: http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac/ )

I doubt that SMAC really does what it claims.
From the description on their site, it seems to detect that adapter
supports overriding MAC address, but does not expose this to user -
then it simply employs this feature.

However, this trick will fail if the netcard driver or firmware don't allow
overriding MAC address. The wireless router will see the original MAC address,
no matter what address Windows sees.
In this case only modification of the driver and/or firmware can help,
and it is possible.

Regards,
--PA

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Jack & Chris,

Many thanks to you both. Think I understand.
Great articles and relatively easy to understand, even for me. Thanks again.
I was preparing a follow up to Jack when the response from Chris came in. He
must be psychic as he has already answered the first question in section 2.

May I crave your indulgences a little further? Grateful if you could
clarify/amplify a few points taken in order from your most excellent