Sign in with
Your question

best overclocking AM2 X2?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 5, 2006 2:28:28 PM

i bought my 3500+ of a mate to tide me over whilst i saved up for an X2 when i built my system.

just wondering what peeps think is the best bang for buck X2? been looking at the 4200 of late but not sure. im not frightened of overclocking so a stable overclocking chip at a decent price would be nice.

i understand that C2D uses a shared cache were the X2's do not and i understand that it a large part of the reason the conroe architecture is blitzing AMD right now (together with a shorter pipe and more actions per mhz) but:-

if i do shift up to the 4200 (or above) am i likely to see a performance increase other than being able to multi task? will a lower clocked X2 outperform a single core in applications designed for one core? or does it revert to the clock speeds of just one of the cores?

More about : overclocking am2

November 5, 2006 3:00:48 PM

Quote:
if i do shift up to the 4200 (or above) am i likely to see a performance increase other than being able to multi task? will a lower clocked X2 outperform a single core in applications designed for one core? or does it revert to the clock speeds of just one of the cores?

i didnt notice any difference from a 3700 single core
to an x2 4400.

but i dont multitask.
November 5, 2006 3:11:24 PM

Quote:

to an x2 4400.

but i dont multitask.

hmm neither do i really

you think its best waiting till there are games out there that utilise the hardware? (and its cheaper)
Related resources
November 5, 2006 3:24:57 PM

since you already have an am2 setup, you could wait for a dualcore upgrade.

i have the s939 so i went for the upgrade as soon as i could.
the 939,s are going out but the am2,s will be around for a little longer.

and the price/avialability on the am2 is better than s939.

it looks like you could wait until the end of the year for an upgrade
to dualcore. MAYBE?
so keep an eye out on the prices of the am2,s.

or if you find the money for a dualcore go for it.
November 5, 2006 3:34:11 PM

thats great thanks, im not gonna upgrade for no performance improvement anytime soon tho.

maybe i should wait for AMD to come to their senses and slash the FX prices?! seems to me they'll have to sooner or later
November 5, 2006 3:46:22 PM

Quote:

to an x2 4400.

but i dont multitask.

hmm neither do i really

you think its best waiting till there are games out there that utilise the hardware? (and its cheaper)

I move from 939 3200+ venice(2.5ghz) to opteron 165(2.5ghz), i can't notice much of difference.
!