Newbie needs help to select 35mm scanner

Hi
I am looking for suggestions/recomendations for the purchase of a stand
alone 35mm slide scanner.

I have a large quanity of Kodachrome slides that my dad took. (2,400 at
least).

I want to scan and make cd's for family members to view on computer but
with the quality needed to print from 4x6 to 8x10 photos.

My price range is $199-299.

the abilty to correct flaws, focus etc is important.

Also ease of use (newbie to scans, digital etc)

i know nothing about dpi, resoulutions, file formats.

What do you recommend?
What should I look for?

Thanks, buffyb

--
buffyb

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Given your price range of less than $299 and that you just want to scan 35
mm, I would go for the Minolta Dual Scan IV if you wanted the best quality
in that price range. It is a dedicated film scanner which will work well
with 35 mm's smaller size. An Epson 4180 would allow you to batch scan
multiple slides in one operation which would save you time but it is a
flatbed scanner. Therefore, its 35 mm images would require more aggressive
sharpening during post processing and it also may not be able to pull the
detail out of the more dense areas of your slides.

Doug
--
Doug's "MF Film Holder" for batch scanning "strips" of 120/220 medium format
film:

Another option, if you have a digital camera and a good projector is to take
pictures of them. I did about 1500 this way and it's a lot faster than a
scanner and the results were pretty good. I found a flat white mat board
worked best for a screen