resize partitions w/o new format?

roblob

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I currently have a single partition on my computer for windows, but I've wanted to try linux. I have plenty of empty space on my hard so would I be able to resize my windows partition and create a new partition for linux without completely reinstalling windows. How would I do this?

bigbadwolf

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I wouldnt recommend rushing into any kind of formatting/paritioning with HDD's.

Just get partition magic 8, and it comes with some good tutorial videos. You dont have to reinstall windows just to change partition sizes (even on windows c drive). But you do need to be careful, alot of people lose files this way by rushing.

Oh and Linux can be confusing enough w/o having to partition a drive, so unless you have some Linux background knowledge, it would be better to use Partition Magic.

I lost a few partitions thanks to running into Linux installs w/o learning enough beforehand.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Ubuntu (Linux) has a built in partitioning app but I'm don't know enough about Linux to tell you how to do it.
You have to download Ubuntu's Live CD and boot from there but you should ask this in the Linux forum to have a better understanding of it so you won't lose any files.

nomadh

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
I usually use ghost actually. Its a little heavyhanded in partition resizing but pat magic has hozed me a few times and never was sure why. It takes another pc or hd to use ghost (or other imaging sw) but the good news is you have a backup copy in case something goes wrong. That being said I just did a test using a linux boot distro wit ha partion tool called gparted 3.1
worked on a xp sp2 ntfs drive like a charm. Its free and easy. But remember if its worth saving to resize. Go for a backup/restore image option.