Is there still life in my AGP gameing system?

yourname3232

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
My system is outlined in my sig, but the thing that I really feel that is holding me back is my video card. Right now there is a local deal for $130 I can get a 7600GS AGP version with 512mb RAM. I was wondering if it was worth it to spend the $130 and get several more years out of my system. Would it be beter holding off for a PCI-E system? I really want another 2-4 years out of this system, I don't come by extra money that often.

That card would be a decent upgrade for you, but 2yrs is stretching it ,but maybe it will take that long for software developers to catch up, you can already run whats available with that upgrade, maybe not to its fullest potential further down the road but you haven't been able to do that with the present video card you have anyway.

yourname3232

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Thanks for the reply, and yeah, I am used to not being able to run everything on full, heck even medium detail. I think I will get that card.

yourname3232

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
The store that I am buying from doesn't stock the 256mb version, and I am not old enough to order online and my parents won't pay online either. If that was an option, I definately would though.

The store that I am buying from doesn't stock the 256mb version, and I am not old enough to order online and my parents won't pay online either. If that was an option, I definately would though.

To quote my parents when I was younger:

GET A DAMN JOB!!!!!!

Just kidding.

The 7600GS should be good enough to last you 1 - 2 years depending on your expectations. AGP has been on life support for the longest time, but I would guess that by the time you want to upgrade to another video card you will have to upgrade your entire system.

Good luck and have fun.

yourname3232

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I got the card, and I must say I am impressed. It runs wonderfully. I now have 3097 3dmarks while my old card only scored 274 (overclocked) on 3dmark 2005. I think I will be happy until I acquire enough money to do a total system upgrade. Thanks for all everyone's help.