Sign in with
Your question

New Splinter Cell game is SM.3 only

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 5, 2006 7:59:39 PM

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&f=3651075192&m=29...

Quote:
System Requirements:

Supported OS: Windows® XP (only)
Processor: 3 Ghz Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ 3000 (3.5 Ghz Pentium 4 or Athlon 3500 recommended). Game optimized for Dual-processor-enabled computers.
RAM: 1 GB
Video Card: DirectX® 9.0c-compliant, Shader 3.0-enabled 128 MB video card (256 MB recommended) (see supported list*)
Sound Card: DirectX® 9.0c-compatible (EAX" recommended) - PC audio solution containing Dolby® Digital Live required for Dolby Digital audio.
DirectX Version: 9.0c or higher (9.0c included on disc)
DVD-ROM: 4x DVD-ROM or faster
Hard Drive Space: 8 GB
Peripherals Supported: Mouse, keyboard
Multiplay: Broadband connection with 128 kbps upstream or faster

*Supported Video Cards at Time of Release

ATI® X1600/X1800/X1900 NVidia® 6600 /6800/7300/7600/7800/7900

Laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT supported.

These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game. Additional chipsets may be supported after release. For an up-to-date list of supported chipsets, video cards, and operating systems, please visit the FAQ for this game on our support website at: http://support.ubi.com.

If this is a trend, then all of those X8xx series cards you guys have been pushing onto people(insert Paul) over their SM3.0 nvidia counterparts are screwed. Indeed, the 6800GS was the more future proof card :lol: 

I believe the official statement here was..."Those cards arent fast enough to support sm.3 anyways..."

AT LEAST THEY'RE SUPPORTED!

Die X8xx series......die die die :twisted:

More about : splinter cell game

November 5, 2006 8:19:15 PM

LOL. :lol: 
November 5, 2006 8:24:51 PM

I was thinking of getting the game. But I am not sure. But
i am 256Mb short :( . Damn games are getting more Hardware intensive :( 
Related resources
November 5, 2006 8:57:31 PM

Well it looks like some game producers want to support only certian functions.Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................Very interesting.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
November 5, 2006 8:57:44 PM

i hear ya////...////..///

p3 933mhz 256 ram fx5500
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2006 10:38:22 PM

If it's true and a trend, that would be a huge bummer. I have 4 X8xx's to dump quickly. :tongue: Oh well, most of the people buying those cards didn't have the 3.0GHz minimum CPU this game needs anyway, so who cares. :wink:

But Lets just see how good it will look at 640x480 at low-med details on those 6800GS AGP's you were pushing for $50 more. :p  In the mean time, the owners of the X8xx cards have enjoyed the best performance they could get for the money they spent.

Not that it (SM2 patch) will happen again, but the last SP(CT) was originally released to the benefit of NV & GF6 only, and after the SM2.0 patch it turned out to be a game the X8xx series owned with a X800XL performing like 6800U & X800GTO like a 6800GT. :wink:
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2006 10:47:56 PM

Man, when I think about it more, those are the most demanding minimum system requierments I have ever seen for a game. Minimum of a 3.0GHz cpu, 1GB ram, and an SM3.0 GPU! Half my machines can't run that thing! :cry: 
November 5, 2006 11:21:44 PM

Well, it's nice since I still will be using my 7800GTX SLI up to next year. :( 
November 6, 2006 12:50:17 AM

Quote:

But Lets just see how good it will look at 640x480 at low-med details on those 6800GS AGP's you were pushing for $50 more.

At least they can run it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
November 6, 2006 1:12:11 AM

8 gb? thats one big game....damn, all the required specs are kinda high....well maybe they are being more honest with what it takes to run it decntly...maybe not...
November 6, 2006 2:17:56 AM

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&f=3651075192&m=29...

Yeah these are the REAL ones in the SAME thread on the Ubisoft site:

Quote:

Posted Tue October 31 2006 17:12
Those are definitely NOT the minimum requirements... if they were, they would alienate 95% of the PC market. Here are the correct ones from the Ubisoft KB:

quote:
In order for the game to run properly, your PC MUST meet or exceed these minimum requirements:

Operating System: Windows 2000 / XP (Only)
Processor: Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlon, 1.4 GHz (Pentium IV or Athlon 2.2 GHz recommended)
RAM: 256 MB (512 MB recommended)
Graphics Card: 64 MB DirectX 9.0c compliant graphics card (128 MB recommended) ***see supported chipsets list***
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compliant sound card (EAX 2.0 or higher recommended)
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (Included on disk)
DVD-ROM: 4x or better DVD-ROM drive
Hard Drive Space: 4 GB free hard drive space
Peripherals: Windows compatible mouse and keyboard, joystick for Solo and Co-op modes
Multiplay: Broadband with 64 Kbps data transfer upload rate (128 kbps recommended)

Supported video cards at time of release:

ATI Radeon 8500/9000/X families
NVIDIA GeForce 3/4/FX/6 families (GeForce 4 MX not supported)

Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported

NOTICE: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some CD-RW, DVD-RW, and virtual drives.
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2006 2:27:08 AM

That guy got jumped on further down for listing those lowered "real" specs.
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2006 2:32:34 AM

Quote:

But Lets just see how good it will look at 640x480 at low-med details on those 6800GS AGP's you were pushing for $50 more.

At least they can run it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yup, as long as they have a 3.0Ghz cpu. 8O

Hey, worse off than a X800GTO is anyone with a X850XT. I've always been on the side of a 7600GT over X850XT if priced the same, but man this would be a huge blow for X850XT or X850 crossfire owners.

Anyway, some systems that could handle 12x10 4x/16x in Chaos Theory won't be able to run this game at all. That's a dumb move IMO. (to turn away so many former SC players)
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2006 5:51:23 AM

Quote:

If this is a trend, then all of those X8xx series cards you guys have been pushing onto people(insert Paul) over their SM3.0 nvidia counterparts are screwed. Indeed, the 6800GS was the more future proof card :lol: 

I believe the official statement here was..."Those cards arent fast enough to support sm.3 anyways..."

Except that many of use have slowed down the promotion of the X800 series since the arrival of the GF7600GT partially for this reason of the future support for SM3.0 titles and also because finally they are getting close to equal. Anyone who bought a GF6800, GF6600 or GF6800XT over an X800XT because of SM3.0 a while back still lost out on performance in most titles.
So just because they can play this one TWIMTBP 'optimized' title, just like Chaos Theory, isn't enough reason to forgo the performance in other games. At this point in time it's almost 2 generations later, but it's still just one game out of many. It's not like the FX where the X800 claimes SM3.0 and yet can't perform on a game that is exclusive to it (like Oblivion). Even Crysis and UT2K7 have SM2.0 fallbacks, so I wouldn't get worked up about one title, but then again like I said I wouldn't ignore the value of the GF7600GT for long term.

BTW, did you notice;
"Laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT supported."

That's pretty funny considering a GFGO7900 or MRX1800 would mop the floor with a GF6600. So the question is how valuable is this 'support' and if it doesn't work can I return this new copy-protection mechanism game?
November 6, 2006 7:29:01 AM

I think its absurd. When FarCry first came out I was enjoying all its glory with a GF4Ti4400, and when I eventally moved to a SM2.0 card, but at the time I couldnt afford a shiny new 9700PRO!!!

I think everyone can say that the producer will release a patch for older GFX cards, because its pointless to kill off most of your customers for the sake of exclusive graphic details. I think most people will play these games for the enjoyment of the game itself, rather than to stare at an item on the wall or water, etc.

Im pretty sure they wouldnt leave all the X8** series oweners in the dark, it seems awfully unusual

Whats crazy is my brother's MSI X1600XT will be supported by the game yet my friend's X850XT won't be, sigh!
November 6, 2006 12:56:59 PM

Well, from what I've heard, the game itself doesn't live up to much, if any, expectations. Apparently the europeans and pirates can't stop complaining about the huge bugs and overall laggy gameplay. I'm still waiting for a darn demo, which doesn't seem to exist at this point, so Ubi is gonna have to live with another crappy game and not my money.
November 6, 2006 1:45:59 PM

The game runs well with SM2.0 hardware (X800 series) with little ini change.. :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2006 2:36:34 PM

Quote:
I think its absurd.

I agree, but there are two potential reasons for doing it, one understandable, the other similar to their last release and very questionable.

The first being that if it's a port of the Xbox 360, then they've likely cut down the code paths to just SM3.0 since the Xbox's Xenos is very SM3.0 capable (although not fully compliant). So this would mean less coding.
Of course that means it's only for the new consoles, no PS2, Xbox or Gamecube edition.

Now I'd say that was the reason alone if it weren't for their previous choices with regards to Chaos theory in which they were the only company to include an SM3.0 and SM1.1 path only without an SM2.0 fallback (until much MUCH later, did anyone even still play it at that point, Pauldh you played it right? Were you still playing it by that time?). Conveniently their launch partner nVidia only had PS3.0 and PS1.1-1.3 cards (unless you consider the FX a PS2.0 card, which most games don't), and that this might be playable with an .ini hack, it makes me wonder how much effort would be involved in order to make it playable with an SM2.0 codepath for the R9500-9800 and X300-850 series cards (although likely slideshow speed on something low like the X300 or X600). I understand if it was terribly difficult, but if it only require 100 man hours to tweak, then really how can they pass up such a large target market?

Quote:
I think everyone can say that the producer will release a patch for older GFX cards, because its pointless to kill off most of your customers for the sake of exclusive graphic details.

It's not about graphic details, if anything it would be for exclusive graphics company desires.

Quote:
Im pretty sure they wouldnt leave all the X8** series oweners in the dark, it seems awfully unusual

Excvept for that's prety much what they did last time around, not leaving them out completely, but definitely ghetto-ing lumping them them into the same class as the GFMX cards.

Quote:
Whats crazy is my brother's MSI X1600XT will be supported by the game yet my friend's X850XT won't be, sigh!

Well even worse the plain GF6600 is supported, but not the X850XTPE.
This is likely a trend for ported games since the standard has been pushed up, but it's been a long time coming so it's about time people considered moving on to the newer gear.
November 6, 2006 2:48:15 PM

Quote:

Die X8xx series......die die die :twisted:

Er - the 8800 is SM4.0 and lower - it will run the game fine.
November 6, 2006 2:50:38 PM

Hey Dudes, if it hasnt been mentioned already, i think ill let you guys know...

For those who dont have a SM 3.0 supported card, and want to turn it off and use SM 2.0... search for this file in your Spinter Cell folder

SplinterCell4.ini

open with wordpad, then find the line ...

SimpleShader=False

edit this line, change false to true, save the file, and you should have SM2.0 or shaders off.

This will improve frame rates. You can also change other settings with this config file, like screen resolution in the line...

FullscreenViewportX=1280
FullscreenViewportY=720

Those are my settings, the rest you can go figure...
November 6, 2006 3:12:11 PM

Em this doesnt work, ive tried it many times.
What graphics card have you got? i have an x800XL
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2006 3:46:02 PM

Quote:

Er - the 8800 is SM4.0 and lower - it will run the game fine.

Actually re-read his statement it's about the X8xx series not the GF8xxx series. Only ATi has the prefix X8xx or X1K etc.
November 6, 2006 4:20:50 PM

Well good. Now If I had the money to upgrade my computer I would....
Why do I keep buying games I cant play? Such as oblivion. Sigh. BTW as to the size of the game. Remember the old game Blade Runner from 1998. That was 5gig intstall which was 2x larger then my hard drive at the time.
November 6, 2006 7:52:26 PM

Is the pc version of this game still schedule to come out tomorrow?
November 6, 2006 8:09:28 PM

yes but the requirements are crazy but im a big fan of splinter cell.
November 6, 2006 8:18:37 PM

Quote:

Then hopefully you dont own an X8xx series card.
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2006 8:19:28 PM

Quote:
Pauldh you played it right? Were you still playing it by that time?

To be honest, I played around/benched on the demo ALOT, but got so annoyed with how lousy my 6800U OC did in it, that I pretty much gave up on playing the game way before the performance boost or Sm2.0 patch. :evil: 
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2006 8:25:33 PM

Did you praise the PS1.4 R8500's when BF2 came out and it didn't support the PS1.1 GF4ti's? I mean at least the 8500's could play it. :D 

I thought it was GrApe, not you who kept saying - "Forget the Ti4200's, grab a 8500le as it's got DX8.1 baby." :tongue: JK
November 6, 2006 8:59:28 PM

Quote:

Then hopefully you dont own an X8xx series card.
lol i wish but alas i have a x800XL
November 6, 2006 9:24:25 PM

@ Simonetti-
Nah my GF4Ti Couldn't do the "improved" or the "paradise" renderer if i can remember correctly. It was notably clearer with a SM2.0 Card, but still playable nonetheless on the older hardware

@The Ape-
I agree with what you're saying about the SM1.1-1.3 fallback for DX8 hardware, and SM2.0 for earlier DX9 gear. What I don't get is that Half Life 2 manaed a full set of compatability options (Heck, I could play it on a GF4MX without hassles), and if it only takes 100 hours or so, in the long run it will make a lot more (potential) customers happy.

But you're right though, with games like this recommending a 3500+ A64, then for alot of people its probably time for an upgrade
November 6, 2006 9:25:49 PM

Ouch... That counts out a butt load of people...

~Ibrahim~
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2006 5:35:56 AM

Quote:

I thought it was GrApe, not you who kept saying - "Forget the Ti4200's, grab a 8500le as it's got DX8.1 baby." :tongue: JK

LOL!

Hey, and I was talking about during the R8500's era for Morrowind (of course) the main reason I got the R8500AIW at the time; the GF4 vs R8500 issue for BF2 just made me laugh after all the 'futureproof' talk.
November 7, 2006 2:43:44 PM

Future....errrrr "At the moment" proof. :lol: 

Hey, everybody body on the board knows that at some point SM2.0 would be dropped. It's starting with DX 10 too (hello Vista). To bemoan the x8xx series being left behind is sad, but a cold hard truth of "progress."

Hmmm, my AGP system can run this Splinter Cell bad boy! :D  Woo-hoo! :D 
November 7, 2006 3:25:27 PM

Darn, i've should have kept my G6600 :lol: 

Haha, well i rather have a x800gto wich can't play this game then a G6600 wich can't play any game including splinter cell on normal graphics.

And then, i don't need splinter cell it's just a game.
November 7, 2006 7:12:34 PM

Quote:

Haha, well i rather have a x800gto wich can't play this game then a G6600 wich can't play any game including splinter cell on normal graphics.

Spoken like a true fanboy.

lol, I'm just kidding. I'm sorry, I had to make a crack, with the ATI logo and all. I'm sorry, really.

I'm mad, too. You would think they would have an option or something in the menu to enable/disable SM3.0 features or something...Maybe have SM3.0 as recommended, not required. Hey, it's their loss. We lose out on the chance to play ONE game. They lose out on thousands of customers.

~Ibrahim~
November 7, 2006 7:19:38 PM

Quote:

Spoken like a true fanboy.

lol, I'm just kidding. I'm sorry, I had to make a crack, with the ATI logo and all. I'm sorry, really.

I'm mad, too. You would think they would have an option or something in the menu to enable/disable SM3.0 features or something...Maybe have SM3.0 as recommended, not required. Hey, it's their loss. We lose out on the chance to play ONE game. They lose out on thousands of customers.

~Ibrahim~

I'm absolutely no ati fanboy. But i always had nvidia so i wanted to give ati a go, but i like the nvidia drivers more. And i always chose the best card for my money. So that explains why i am no fanboy :) 
November 7, 2006 7:29:35 PM

So anyone got this game for pc? If so then what's the performance and system requirements and the overall quality and gameplay. I'm planning to get this one, first time for my pc since I played them at XBox.
November 14, 2006 1:07:48 AM

Will be interesting how long the mid range processors stay good for gaming now. (think low end dual core 4200, 3800 , 6300)
November 14, 2006 5:49:18 PM

Well, in my eyes that's perfect.

My Athlon 64 3000+ works perfect, even better now its OC'ed to a 3500+ :D 
!