Been out of gaming a while,want to build a good game machine

skyodyssey32

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Hi all, I have been out of computer gaming for a while and want to get back in. Currently have a P4 2.4, 512MB PC2700, Asus P4PE mobo, GeForce TI 4200, All were pretty close to top of the line at the time. So now I want to build a new machine and have no idea where to start as I haven not been keeping up on what is good.

1. CPU: Is AMD now better than intel? Should I got x64? Is there and benefit to x64? What is a really good processor right now for gaming?

2. MOBO: I definetly want PCI Express, but which board is good for gaming? I do not need any onboard video or sound as I will be getting something better.

3. I didn't see any up to date mobo comparison charts, is there one? I used one from this site to choose last time.

4. Which RAM? I heard about DDR3, is it good?

5. My 430w PS has the connector on it for the P4 processor, can I even run an AMD board, I will not buy another PS just for that.

Thanks for your time.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Ok.First,the AMD processor was better than the INTEL,up until about a few months ago when Intel released core2duo.Sadly,the intel outperforms the amd even in games.However,amd is no slouch and in fact is cheaper to buy now than it ever was.So no worries going with the AMD AM2 processor as it performs magnificantly.There are pros and cons to both,I guess read up on the hardware you're interested in and make your choice from there.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120