Maxtor Ultra16 or Seagate Barracuda 7200.10???

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Hi

as the title says, my question is should I go for the

Maxtor Ultra16 series or Seagate Barracuda 7200.10???

Maxtor: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=333926

They both have 500Gb and 16Mb of cache and are SATA 3Gb. But I dont know which one is better for gaming which is what im gonna do. I think the barracuda has something called perpendicular thing? Can somebody explain me that too?

PPR, is Perpendicular Recording, it offers superior load and seek times and would deliver better performance vs the Maxtor, also i think Seagate has a better warranty...so go with the Seagate anyway...

to find out exactly what perpendicular recording does go HERE

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
How big is the perfomance Im gonna loose if I use the Maxtor Ultra16? Enormous, Big, Regular, Low, Almost nothing...?
Because I already got that one. But still I always used Maxtor and they are good HD.

exarrkun

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
i'm not sure everyone will shear your opinion in this
the seagate one is definately better, it has a five year warranty
and maxtor isn't known to be a good brand, it's more a budget line of hard disks.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Once I was reading a book of technicians building pc's. On one of their builts they said "use maxtor or seagate or hitachi and try to avoid western digital" and they explained that western digital had problems with drivers. they were really unstable and had incompatibility problems. Since then, I tried to stay away from western digital.

I once needed an external hard drive. The CompUSA guy recommended me a maxtor or western digital or LaCie and he told me that he had a lot of people returning their seagate drives because they had a lot of problems with them. So I tried to stay away from them since then.

Thats why I went for the Maxtor one. I also know this will be the last time I buy maxtor because next time I wanna go with a Barracuda 7200.10 or a Raptor since benchmarks show really good scores with them.

Still I think I will do fine with my maxtor now. Is not a bad hard drive. As I mentioned it supports Sata 3gb and has 16mb cache so it will still perform good compared to others.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I agree with exarrkun on this one, Seagate is by far the best.

I have yet to have a Maxtor make it through the warranty period. Besides to being noisey.

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I think you won't see much difference between these two drives considering that Seagate owns both companies. I read that the Seagate name would be used on the high class drives whereas the budget brand would be Maxtor. Both drives probably use similar if not the same technology. Although you know that if they can save a buck on the budget drive they will.

In my experiences I have had several Maxtor drives go out on me.. and only a couple of Seagates. But the worst Maxtor's aren't even in production any more. Right now I am running Seagate 7200.10 320Gb drives... 3 of them. They appear to be great performers. I doubt the Maxtor's will have the same performance, but it's probably only a 5% performance hit with the Maxtor's at most.

I just recommend at least a 3yr Warranty and you'll probably be okay.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I dont want to spend money sending it back and time so I will just keep this one.

Later on I would really like a Raptor. I will also consider the Seagate ones ;) from now one no more Maxtors.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I think my Seagate is great. I havent bought a HD for a long time now. This baby is fast, cheap and reliable. Seagate has my vote.