THG kind of sucks these days

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Is it me, or has THG been pretty crappy ever since its latest change in format? None of the articles are interesting anymore. I don't know if it's because the articles are more difficult to find or whether they've changed the type of articles they write.

tjar77301

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I mostly agree. The articles are still interesting, the problem is you can't find anything. Once an article leaves the main page it seems almost impossible to find. Bestofmedia took a great easy to use site and sent it strait down the crapper. Can't believe tom sold out to them.

kwo

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Definitely agree. Not only is the layout poor, but the articles have gone down hill as well. Most disturbing though is the coverage. Used to be you could find performance comparisons for every cpu, mobo, and display card. Not anymore. That was the main reason I came to Tom's: to figure out how good a deal I was getting on ANY given component. Alas, not anymore.

We need more mods ... the site is good ... but it could be better.

We also need some funny news articles and to encourage more people to get into building their own PC's ... which is fun.

I volunteer to help moderate Jake !!!

Hell ... I will even write some articles ...

My rate as a corporate consultant is normally $285 per hour ... for you its free.

PM me.

Or rate me down ... ??

:)

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
^ Yes, I agree Reynod... 'cept I think that its taking forever for them to make an Australian THG...

I've tried volunteering as a mod...

I'm sure Reynod can do all the writing... power control domination!!! of the Australian section of course!

I'm happy to lend my time for a good cause (regardless, I don't get paid at my comic company)

Or lets rate Reynod up...

Actually I would like to encourage the users here to write short articles ... benchies etc on anything ... then submit them to be edited ... then put up on the main page as short reviews.

There are lots of clever people here who would love to be involved.

That's some clever marketing Rob .... hint hint.

Plus it costs you nothing and the users who get their name up in lights would be stoked.

I am sure I could edit an article better than S & R ...

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Good idea... but we need a reward... an incentive... something like free hardware or a forum promotion or something...

We could easily turn this into a Linux-concept thing... improve and pass it on...

I was thinking a sidebar section on the front page which lists recent user reviews.

Those good enough could easily be tidied up and help promote the site.

This site has a massive hit rate.

A lot of users do help new users in the forumz ... that much is clear.

The site needs much tighter moderation ... nothing sinister though.

There are clearly not enough mods.

A site like this needs at least 12 active mods.

I think turpit is away and I have only noticed Jake, Freddi and Big Mac much lately ... though I don't visit all of the areas ...

They need some help.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
^ Well I'm not really sure about that, but I'm sure that that new write a review feature on the update is impossible to use... turns out like a Newegg... Nobody knows about this feature...

Should make a special section?

Maybe sub-mods with less powers for general stuff?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Damn I really should take English classes...

Anyways Notice on the US version the forum homepage there is a thing above post count that says reviews?

2510863000_5f31b6c57e_o.jpg

I did figure out how to write one tho... Nobody ever goes down there tho... some kinda shopping search engine.... simliar to a Newegg style review system... just login using your THG forum account... kinda pointless tho...

yeah.

I was thinking a sidebar on the main page.

Some of the guys who frequent the cpu section regularly have done quite a bit of benching ... mathos on the phenom for instance.

Wouldn't be hard to tidy up something for a user article.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
How's this? A special benchmark suite like what they have at PC User Australia. A series of test and etc. Once finished it can give scores of relative performance back to THG and help buyers decide how fast their configuration will run?

Could end up saving THG charts?

We can make a feature search engine... something like:
CPU series > Athlon X2
Clock Speed > 1.7Ghz
RAM > 4GB DDR 667

and etc. searching for a configuration and noting where it performs well and etc.

something like
encoding: 7:21
ripping: 6:20
Crysis: 1fps
making bagels: 1:27

Make it something like:
2640299351_7c7024c199_o.jpg

So, as you can see, the chart has selected similar configs and showed you performance in SIS SANDRA...

Something like that... then a reference system... a Q6600 or so?

Upload scores to a MySQL database? Index for easy finding? compare your intedended build with others?

I think that would be very useful... I have found zero bechmarks on the Geforce 7150 against say the 780G...

Damn straight ... stuff all of this social networking stuff ... can't stand any of you peeps.

Bring back the ugly users with poor people skills I say.

We need an anti-networking site ... lets call it AssBook.

Hang on ... THG already has that.

Its called "the other" ... heh heh

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
They should benchmark computer to see how quickly they can load the bloated Tomshardware sites. My god this site is slow. And yes, the non technical articles are terrible. The reviews of hardware are still good. But the every other article is not objective and complete garbage.

This latest one about Mac pricing misconceptions is perhaps the worst article i've ever read. Either the author is a completel moron, or Tomshardware is bowing to increased pressure from Apple.

hardwarekid9756

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I know that I've been getting overly frustrated with Tom's. There's no more spell-checking (I've counted up to 10 spelling and grammar errors), The articles aren't on stuff I care about anymore, and they're definately lacking in frequency, and some of the new writers are REALLY bad and opinionated. I don't know about you folks, but I've been reading anandtech.com more and more recently.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
completely agree wiht you all, and the recent mac crazed articles didnt help either.

nor have the outdated charts
nor does the ppor editing
nor does the non standard (broken) forum.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I don't think I come here for articles... only for the forum... their articles are fair but give no insight into how tech works...

Then there's the slight bias and slight slip-ups...

Tom's is okay but could do with a few changes...

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
The issue is, Toms articles used to set the standard for objective, technical, hardware reviews and info. i'm talking like about 11- 7 years ago, it was, hands down, the BEST place to go for current computer tech knowledge.
It gradually went down hill, and lately has taken a steep dive.

It still has the occasional good article, i find the in depth reviews still worthy.. but the rest has been filled with such opinionated fluff, and sensationalist titles, that its next to impossible to filter out.

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Too bad this topic has been pigeonholed to the bottom of the page. Tom's has gone to **** in the last few months, and nobody at the site seems to care. They just keep pluggin away, churning out more and more lackluster crap. The performance charts are useless now. The once factual articles are reading more and more like editorials. Those useless morons who do whiny game reviews are depressing, and subjective. I could go on and on, but everything Tom's has to offer is getting worse and worse. The only good thing about tom's is the bulletin board. Too bad no one from the site reads it, or maybe they'd see what a **** their site has turned into.

WAKE UP TOM!!! YOUR SITE IS IN TROUBLE

grtgonzo

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
THG was a near daily stop for me, but I am seeing less and less that I'm interested in. The articles are for obscure, unimportant pieces of hardware or consist of editorials which do not seem to be particularly well thought out. The Mac / PC comparison article is just the latest in a line of really questionable feature choices (the idea is fine, the execution lacking). Has there been a change in editorial staff? The site went through a sale, did it not. Something has changed and not for the better.