wrack

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
Hey Guyz,

I have recently purchased HP Pavillion DV8310TX.

Spec: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/au/en/ho/WF06b/1090709-1116637-1116665-1116665-1116665-12435888-77811243.html

I just noticed few days ago that when I am not doing anything the CPU is still kicking in at full speed and not throttling down. I have checked the Intel spec for the CPU and it does support Enhanced Speed Step technology and I don't have much control over BIOS either being HP BIOS and all. But I am pretty sure it's enabled.

What drivers/program I can install which enables this functionality..?

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers :)

Edit: Sorry forgot to say I am running XP Pro SP2 fully patched.

wrack

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
You can always try CPU Idle:
http://www.cpuidle.de/

Thanks that looks good but I am always scared of programs which install their drivers to directly access hardware especially CPU.

wrack

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
OK I just checked and monitored over an hour or so, no extra ordinary process taking over the CPU and it idles at 0 - 1% all the time.

Then the battery started to run out so I plugged in the AC Power and wolla, it throttled down. Weird right..!

I mean, I thought when it's running on battery power it should care to throttle not when running on AC Power..!

Any suggestions..?

wrack

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
Have you checked HP's site for any BIOS updates?

These issues (power, throttle, etc) are usually related to a BIOS problem.
Yes I have installed latest Intel INF Updates, Latest BIOS from HP Site, I also uninstalled ACPI hardware from System Devices and have Windows reinstall it upon restart. No joy so far.

But the fact that it throttles when AC Power is connected and doesn't when running on battery confuses me..!

Any more ideas?

I have the same problem, but it is for my desktop PC using the MSI 975X Platinum mobo. I've taken all the necessary steps to make sure SpeedStep should be enabled. I figured something may have gone wrong with the Win XP installation, but I'm too lazy to re-install everything.

I use a program called RMClock to handle throttling:

http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml

Hopefully, next time when I decide to re-install Win XP SpeedStep will work properly.

wrack

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
I had the same problem on my Desktop and I just set the power scheme to Portable and it throttles fine but not happening on the actual laptop..!

I had the same problem on my Desktop and I just set the power scheme to Portable and it throttles fine but not happening on the actual laptop..!

Try using the RMClock program that I provided the link to in my previous post. It works in the background so you don't really need to worry about it at all. It's pretty useful and it should work for the mobile Core 2 Duo.

In the mean time try contacting the laptop manufacturer to find out why Speedstep insn't functioning.