susp. activity on my AP

bill

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I have what appears to be suspicious activity on my AP at home. I say
this because often while I am not surfing the internet, the LED's on
my AP will suddenly blink "alive" for about 30 minutes at random times
in the evening. Also, when I am logged on and surfing the internet,
my download speeds drop off tremendously for the same 30-minute time
frames.

Maybe I have susp. activity, maybe not. Please note, on my actual
computer, I do indeed have Sygate Firewall and Norton AntiVirus, plus
WEP encryption.

Anyway I can "identify" who else is on my network? Any method to
"track them down" via GPS signals or similar (like a reverse
NetStumbler?). etc etc

I think someone is just borrowing my internet connection, I have seen
no changes to my files/folders or computer.

any info/ideas welcome.

thanks

spike

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003
Archived from groups: (More info?)

Based on my experience, it's not easy to get
into an access point if WEP or WAP is activated.
Usually would need a "professional" with a clear
purpose in mind and probably being paid for his
work. And, one is dealing with radio trans-
mission and reception and if another happens to
be on one's channel can cause problems. Transmitters,
cordless phones, microwaves, radars, wireless
doorbells etal. can gum up the works. 2.4 Ghz is
an unlicensed band and is open to all comers. My opinions
FWIW. Luck

Archived from groups: (More info?)

When this happens access the control menus on your AP and see who is using
the system. You should be able to see DHCP list and/or a list of users by
MAC address.

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
"Bill" <billpritjr@spamhole.com> wrote in message
>I have what appears to be suspicious activity on my AP at home. I say
> this because often while I am not surfing the internet, the LED's on
> my AP will suddenly blink "alive" for about 30 minutes at random times
> in the evening. Also, when I am logged on and surfing the internet,
> my download speeds drop off tremendously for the same 30-minute time
> frames.
>
> Maybe I have susp. activity, maybe not. Please note, on my actual
> computer, I do indeed have Sygate Firewall and Norton AntiVirus, plus
> WEP encryption.
>
> Anyway I can "identify" who else is on my network? Any method to
> "track them down" via GPS signals or similar (like a reverse
> NetStumbler?). etc etc
>
> I think someone is just borrowing my internet connection, I have seen
> no changes to my files/folders or computer.
>
> any info/ideas welcome.
>
> thanks

---

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I've wonderd that myself. I would think if it was wireless access activity,
a mysterious machine would have the mac address recorded on the DHCP table
in the router( mine is a linksys BEFW11S4 802.11b)in the DHCP tab, if it was
setup for DHCP. Or the activity would be recorded in the log file if it is
enabled.
"Bill" <billpritjr@spamhole.com> wrote in message
>I have what appears to be suspicious activity on my AP at home. I say
> this because often while I am not surfing the internet, the LED's on
> my AP will suddenly blink "alive" for about 30 minutes at random times
> in the evening. Also, when I am logged on and surfing the internet,
> my download speeds drop off tremendously for the same 30-minute time
> frames.
>
> Maybe I have susp. activity, maybe not. Please note, on my actual
> computer, I do indeed have Sygate Firewall and Norton AntiVirus, plus
> WEP encryption.
>
> Anyway I can "identify" who else is on my network? Any method to
> "track them down" via GPS signals or similar (like a reverse
> NetStumbler?). etc etc
>
> I think someone is just borrowing my internet connection, I have seen
> no changes to my files/folders or computer.
>
> any info/ideas welcome.
>
> thanks

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On 30 Sep 2004 19:26:07 -0700, Bill spoketh

>I have what appears to be suspicious activity on my AP at home. I say
>this because often while I am not surfing the internet, the LED's on
>my AP will suddenly blink "alive" for about 30 minutes at random times
>in the evening. Also, when I am logged on and surfing the internet,
>my download speeds drop off tremendously for the same 30-minute time
>frames.

It is common to see the activity light on the WLAN side to flash even if
your access point is not actually in use. This could be all sorts of
other interference from other 2.4 GHz equipment such as phones and other
wireless networks. Just as with the activity light on the WAN side of a
cable modem, it doesn't mean that someone are actually connected to your
AP and using it.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net