unable to access https sites

December 16, 2004 10:37:29 PM

I am unable to access https sites where I am required to log on with a
password.

Do I need to alter my settings?

Thanks
Andy
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 10:37:30 PM

Hi Andy,

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Situations Where You Cannot Complete MSN Sign-up or
Connect to SSL Secured (128-Bit) Web Sites by Using Internet Explorer in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Norman" <bulldog@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am unable to access https sites where I am required to log on with a
> password.
>
> Do I need to alter my settings?
>
> Thanks
> Andy

December 17, 2004 12:10:13 PM

Thanks Rick.
I had already tried what was on that web page and it didn't help.
I am thinking of doing a clean install as at the moment XP is installed over
98SE which had some problems, although not the same ones I am having now. I
thought the upgrade may have fixed things.

Andy

> Hi Andy,
>
> HOW TO: Troubleshoot Situations Where You Cannot Complete MSN Sign-up or
> Connect to SSL Secured (128-Bit) Web Sites by Using Internet Explorer in
> Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Norman" <bulldog@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I am unable to access https sites where I am required to log on with a
> > password.
> >
> > Do I need to alter my settings?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Andy

December 17, 2004 4:13:22 PM

"Norman" <bulldog@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am unable to access https sites where I am required to log on with a
> password.
>
> Do I need to alter my settings?
>
> Thanks
> Andy

Make sure your firewall is not blocking port 443. See also
http://windows-help.net/WindowsXP/troub-10.html
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#secure_si...
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/data/jjblack.htm
How to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages with Internet
Explorer 6 Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870700

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

How can I check whether firewall is blocking any port or not. and how can I
unblock one. Does xp's firewall block ports too.
TIA

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Norman" <bulldog@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I am unable to access https sites where I am required to log on with a
> > password.
> >
> > Do I need to alter my settings?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Andy
>
> Make sure your firewall is not blocking port 443. See also
> http://windows-help.net/WindowsXP/troub-10.html
> http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#secure_si...
> http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/data/jjblack.htm
> How to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages with Internet
> Explorer 6 Service Pack 2
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870700
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC

January 5, 2005 3:35:20 PM

I don't think the WinXP firewall blocks outgoing ports. As to how you
check, that depends on the firewall.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com