Check out my build (updated list)

quarterpanel

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
I am upgrading finally. After doing some research I have come up with a core list of parts. Although I have built all of my desktops, I am not too savvy when it comes to matching components. I do enjoy building a desktop and cant wait to get started. This is my latest shot at it, any advice is appreciated. Trying to keep within a budget.

CPU

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe Dual-Core, 1.86GHz 1066MHz FSB
Scythe MINE Rev.B

MOTHERBOARD updated
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

VIDEO CARDS updated
Sapphire RADEON X1950 Pro 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express

RAM
Crucial Tech 2GB (2X1) 667 Mhz

POWER SUPPLY
Sunbeam Nuuo 550w

CASE
Lian Li PC-6070

DISPLAY
ViewSonic VX2035WM

My goal is to be able to have a gaming cpu that will run smooth at better than average frame rates. I dont necassarily have to have a screamer.

All of ther other stuff will be raped from my other desktop...

Quarterpanel

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I've heard good things about the core 2 duo's, but that's all I can say about them, I myself am happy with my p4 3.2 prescott.

About the video cards, 512mb isn't needed yet, and you didn't list the specs.
Make sure the card has 256bit memory interface, 256mb oncard (512 if you really want to) and at least 8 pipes(12 if you are picky) And GDDR3 ram or w/e

Newegg has some great deals Link meh!

How much are you paying for those cards?

Also, go for 2 gigs of RAM, not 1

quarterpanel

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
I've heard good things about the core 2 duo's, but that's all I can say about them, I myself am happy with my p4 3.2 prescott.

About the video cards, 512mb isn't needed yet, and you didn't list the specs.
Make sure the card has 256bit memory interface, 256mb oncard (512 if you really want to) and at least 8 pipes(12 if you are picky) And GDDR3 ram or w/e

Newegg has some great deals Link meh!

How much are you paying for those cards?

Also, go for 2 gigs of RAM, not 1

Thanks for the reply Scars,

I edited the original post for more specs on the video cards. The cost is about $ 160.00 ea.

Also, thanks for the link, the eVGA 256-P2-N386-RX GeForce 6800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card looks like a better choice, has 256 memory interface, 12 pipes, looks like better cooling too, AND cheaper!

canuckz

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I'm putting a new machine together as well. Spending a little more than you but this is what I'm getting:
Silverstone black tj09 case with window
Core 2 duo 6700
New asus striker extreme motherboard out in Mid November
Corsair 620hx modular power supply
Asus silent square cpu heatsink
Bought Dell 2407wfp off Ebay for 610 canadian dollars
Currently have x-fi sound and bfg 7900 gtx video card.

Have done extensive research on all of above and can say they are all quality picks. The only one which is less than top drawer is the Asus silent square which is above average but will really look good on the asus black motherboard and in the black tj09 case. The modular cables for the corsair psu are flat black as well. Probably get a few coolermaster purple led fans to highlight it all :) :lol: :lol:

quarterpanel

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
New asus striker extreme motherboard out in Mid November

that is with the nforce i680 chipset isnt it? Do you know how much they going for? I have seen a bunch of negative posts on the MOBO that I have selected. Mostly bios and 1st posting issues.

canuckz

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
The last comment I will make is that a lot of threads really push the 6600 cpu as with overclocking it can exceed the performance of the 6800 extreme with a much smaller outlay. The threads I have read seem to feel the 6600 is the best buy and this seems to be the processor of choice for a more reasonable budget.

You might consider making the memory epp which allows some automatic tuning. Corsair worked on this development so a number of sites recommend it. The pc magazine dream machine talks about it.

http://www.slizone.com/docs/IO/34515/MaxPC_Sept_DM.pdf

quarterpanel

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
The last comment I will make is that a lot of threads really push the 6600 cpu as with overclocking it can exceed the performance of the 6800 extreme with a much smaller outlay. The threads I have read seem to feel the 6600 is the best buy and this seems to be the processor of choice for a more reasonable budget.

You might consider making the memory epp which allows some automatic tuning. Corsair worked on this development so a number of sites recommend it. The pc magazine dream machine talks about it.

http://www.slizone.com/docs/IO/34515/MaxPC_Sept_DM.pdf

The root of my new build is utilizing the SLI dual video card set up.

Currently, I am using a P4 2.4, w/ a Nvida 5700 LE, and my video fps sucks at the lowest settings. I want to have a set up that will handle the next few years of gaming.

I have just heard about this technology, and it really seems like an upgrade I want to go with (that may change after this thread runs its coarse).

Is it worth the effort to set up like this? Using two $ 150.00 sli video cards vs. one $ 300.00+ card?

thanks for all the links, very helpful...

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
looks like a decent build, but why get sli for the low end. you would be better off getting a single better video card. Also, if you plan on overclocking at all, which is what 99% of people on this forum do with an e6300, you shouldn't get an nvidia mobo. the intel 965p and 975x are much much better overclockers. I just got the gigabyte 965p-ds3. it works great. For video card, instead of getting 2 90 dollar cards, i'd get the new ati x1950 pro for 190 on newegg. sli is decent, but its mainly used for the high end stuff. it also doesn't show improvement in all games, meaning you'll be stuck using one video card in certain games, which wouldn't be good with a 7600

quarterpanel

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
, but why get sli for the low end. you would be better off getting a single better video card.

Well that is one of my goals in posting this thread. I didnt know if two Geforce 6800XT (linked) would be better than one $ 300.00 card.

Note: I updated the v. cards on my list. I dont know if I will need to OC this. I would think it will be as fast as I need it to be.

Thanks

QP

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
look at the comparison from a few up. i just did it with a 6800gt sli, which i believe is better then the xt, and the 7900gs, which is a 200 dollar card beat it. if you are going to spend 250-300 on vid card, i'd wait a week and see what happens to prices when 8800gtx/gts comes out. but i think that a x1900xt 256 for around 240 is the best deal in that price range. it beats all the nvidia stuff except gtx and gx2, which are both over 400 bucks. and like i said earlier, change the mobo to intel chipset for better overclocking of the CPU not video card.

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
whenever a benchmark says 7800 sli, for example, it means its in sli mode. what would be the point of calling it sli if it wasn't running in sli?

As for sli vs one better card, most people on the forum have already told you to get the better card. If you are looking to spend 200, go with the ati x1950 pro. If you can find one, the x1900xt 256 is going for around 240 and is much better. and if you are looking to spend around 300, there really isn't anything out right now. The x1900xt 256 beats all the nvidia offerings except the 7900gtx and 7950gx2. If you can find one, its your best bet, and it will kill any cheap sli system you can throw at it. whenever your confused, just look at those charts we showed you earlier. they're at tomshardware.com and the link is on the right.

quarterpanel

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
whenever your confused

Seems to be happening allot. But, I am not as confused as I was yesturday. My build is starting evolve along with my knowledge of the new equipment out there. Its down right crazy what you can learn...

quarterpanel

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Well I think I have it narrowed down, and am starting to order. It looks like this will set me back around $ 1200.00 usd. including a keyboard, and 200GB sataII hd. The monitor and DVD R/W is from the old desktop. I updated my original post with the latest items I have selected.

You guys have helped me out allot.

Thanks a ton,

Quarterpanel