Sign in with
Your question

PSU recommendation please!!!

Last response: in Components
November 6, 2006 1:07:25 AM

I am going to attempt my first build in a few weeks and have picked out all the parts, but am lost on what PSU to get. Modular sounds like a good idea for ease of setup and airflow, but I'm not sure if this is really necessary. What do you guys think? Please recommend a few for me. I am trying to keep the total to about $1000, so please, no $150 units. I will be overclocking the CPU. Thanks!

Components:

case: Rosewill R5601-BK 0.8mm SECC
cdrw: reuse
disc drive: reuse
psu: sunbeam nuuo modular550 ?????
mobo: asus p5B-E, or Gigabyte p965 DS3
video: evga 7900 GS
CPU: E6300 with ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler
memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) 250GB 7200 SATA, or W D Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 SATA
DVD burner: LG 16X DVD±R Super-Multi DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM

More about : psu recommendation

November 6, 2006 1:27:56 AM

Quote:
Please recommend a few for me. I am trying to keep the total to about $1000, so please, no $150 units. I will be overclocking the CPU.

This OCZ should do the job and should be able to handle a DX10 card if you ever upgrade.
November 6, 2006 1:45:19 AM

Hiper Type-R 580W
You won't regret it :wink:
Related resources
November 6, 2006 12:03:31 PM

Modular is not necessary, good cable routing will bascially be the same thing. But thats your call. The OCZ is a nice PSU if you don't want modular, and the Hiper is a decent modular one... but the OCZ provides better stability, reliability, and support than the Hiper (although the Hiper is by all means not a bad PSU)
November 6, 2006 12:27:25 PM

Thanks guys! I like the Hiper one because its less expensive. Unfortunately, money is a big consideration for this system. What about this one? It seems like its just a 530W version of the Hiper in the above post.
November 6, 2006 12:31:23 PM

Quote:
I am trying to keep the total to about $1000, so please, no $150 units.

You are spending 1000 for a computer, but you want to skimp on a power supply that could possibly toast your computer if it goes bad on you. I already went down that road a couple years ago and after a year with the cheap power supply, I had to replace my power supply and video card. I do realize that 150 is a bit too much to spend on a psu. Around 100 is definately not too much to spend.

Just my 2 cents worth.
November 6, 2006 12:43:52 PM

The Hiper 530W will be fine, you'll be able to run a DX10 card prolly (GTS at least, maybe GTX if other things are a bit lean) but the 530W is more than enough for your current setup.

Horstmann has a point, always need to buy a quality PSU, but you're already are in the ballpark, no need buying a 700W PSU for such a meager system if you aren't planning on doing a lot more stuff to it.
November 6, 2006 12:57:15 PM

Quote:
psu: sunbeam nuuo modular550

That is not a bad choice. Read jonnyguru's in-depth review of the NUUO 550w he seemed to like it rather well. I would probably take that over the Hiper if my purchasing focus was not on aesthetics.

It can be had for a mere $75 shipped from xpcgear.com which makes it an incredible value - compared to newegg shipping costs, that is :wink:
November 6, 2006 7:09:24 PM

Quote:
psu: sunbeam nuuo modular550

That is not a bad choice. Read jonnyguru's in-depth review of the NUUO 550w he seemed to like it rather well. I would probably take that over the Hiper if my purchasing focus was not on aesthetics.

It can be had for a mere $75 shipped from xpcgear.com which makes it an incredible value - compared to newegg shipping costs, that is :wink:

Thanks for all the comments. Can anyone think of a reason not to choose the Sunbeam? It seems like the frontrunner, currently. Good review, 550W, great price. What's not to like?
November 6, 2006 9:15:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments. Can anyone think of a reason not to choose the Sunbeam? It seems like the frontrunner, currently. Good review, 550W, great price. What's not to like?

I'm interested in this PSU as well. I just bought a new Seagate 320 gig SATA drive only to find out my old Antec "True-Blue" doesn't have a single SATA power connector. My dilemma is futureproofing, really. How long can I expect this PSU to last? I will not be doing any SLI video cards (I just bought a 7600gt expecting to upgrade to a mid-range DX10 card sometime next year when they're nice and cheap) or anything else expensive/high tech, so how long should this guy last? I'd rather spend 200 bucks now on a high end, high quality PSU that will last 3-4 years than 80 on one I have to replace in a year.
November 6, 2006 11:35:24 PM

There are other options to prevent obsolence.

For example dedicated GPU PSUs like this Thermaltake W0099RU 250w GPU PSU are available to give you that extra +12 rail if you have an extra 5.25" bay, at 250w that is almost 21A directly into the GPU to take a nice load off your main unit - which is perfect for a 300w DX10 card since up to 75W will be carried by the PCIE bus; the remaining 225w will be handled by this add-on unit.

I lucked out, and happened to score an Ultra V-series 500w from fry's outpost.com for $40 shipped w/ a $40 MIR so that is my free GPU PSU. Well not free since I have to perform another dual psu mod, a perfectly viable option unless you fear dremels and soldering irons :wink: Hopefully that will be the perfect compliment to my Antec TPII-480 I just bought for $61 shipped a few weeks back.
November 7, 2006 1:12:28 PM

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I just ordered the Sunbeam. Supposedly it has a lifespan of 16 months at full load. I'll let you know if that is untrue! :lol: 
November 7, 2006 1:48:16 PM

Though Sunbeam isn't fully established as a quality company, I think they are on the rise. I have built systems in a couple Sunbeam cases and find them to be great quality (the better ones, they sell low end too but someone has to do it right?) There cold cathode lights are brighter and more consistent in color than any I have found. I think they are an underrated company who shouldn't be one you shy away from.
November 7, 2006 1:53:38 PM

Quote:
I'd rather spend 200 bucks now on a high end, high quality PSU that will last 3-4 years than 80 on one I have to replace in a year.

I agree. But a good PS can go much longer than 4 years if it has adequate power for the application, gets clean A/C and is operated in an appropriate environment.
November 8, 2006 12:09:08 PM

Key-word... full load... most PSU's never run at full load because most people make sure there's enough headroom so the PSU doesn't get overstressed...
November 8, 2006 12:09:24 PM

Key-word... full load... most PSU's never run at full load because most people make sure there's enough headroom so the PSU doesn't get overstressed...
November 8, 2006 2:33:32 PM

Quote:

I take it the second post was like running dual prime?
!