Sign in with
Your question

Loud SCreeching noise coming from my new pc.

Last response: in Systems
November 6, 2006 1:29:56 AM

HI all,

On this recent friday, i just upgraded my PC

From Asus NF7 + AMD Barton 2600+ to
Intel Core 2 Asrock Dual 775 Vista

Everything went smoothly except randomly i could hear a very loud high pitch screeching soudn coming from my pc.

First of, it's not from the speakers, coz i haven't installed the sound drive yet.. and it's arleady happening

My best guess is it's coming from the CPU fan, at first i thought it was touching some of the wires, so i tied up the wires to make sure they don't touch the fan or anywhere near it. However it's still happening at total random.

i'm unable to 100% confirm its' coming from the fan coz it happens only like 2-3 times so far and totally random. But that's my best guess.

My first question is..

1. Is it dangerous? I don't wanna risk burning down my house while i on my PC at home while i'm at work..

2. Is there anyway to fix it? appart from replacing the part. Hopefully it's CPU fan coz i can just replace the fan, If it's not it'll be coming from my graphics card which i've been using for quite awhile..

anyone got any suggestions? Kinda worried now coz no one's at home.. and my pc's on :( 
November 6, 2006 1:58:58 AM

That happened to me. It would screech for about 4-5 seconds at startup and then stop. For me it was my chip set fan. It died 1 month later. Figures. My best guess is chip set fan but it could be any fan. Open your case and try to listen. Try unplugging your chip set fan for a couple of seconds and see whether it still happens. It's most likely a fan. Check it out. Reply back.

177ine177ine
November 6, 2006 2:12:44 AM

hmm chipset fan huh? is there anyway to replace that? does it need any special fan? or will it burn my chipset down :( 
Related resources
November 6, 2006 2:14:50 AM

I replaced mine. Just go to your local store and find one. My chip set ran for 6 months without a fan so it should be fine but it's better not to take a chance. Any chip set fan should do. To replace it, it's a bit more complicated. If you need instructions I can post them. Double check it is actually the chip set fan firs though.

177ine177ine
November 6, 2006 2:17:35 AM

thx alot for your help :)  yeah i gotta try to catch this noise red handed to find out where it's coming from first.. do post the link on how to replace it also
November 6, 2006 2:21:38 AM

Lol, this is turning into instant messaging. I don't know if I can find a link to replace it but the process is pretty simple. I ended up using a sharp pair of scissors. Basically, you have to take your motherboard out. On the backside, you'll see two little plastic pins holding the chip set fan in. Break those off by cutting them. That's the hardest part. After you've taken them off, pull the chip set fan off gently. Then unplug it. Then put the new one on with new thermal paste which should come with it, and line the holes up with where the pins used to be. Push the pins in until they click. Some models don't come with pins so in that case you use something simple like zip ties. I heard one person do that. Like I said the hardest part is snapping the little plastic clips off. Your best just pointing the scissors at the board, and trying to snap the pin just by applying pressure on the scissors and not actually cutting it. Just kind of apply lots of pressure by snapping it in between the scissors. Good luck. Keep me updated.

177ine177ine
November 6, 2006 2:21:44 AM

actually.. i just realize 1 thing.. my mobo has no chipset fan.. it uses a heatsink..

http://www.asrock.com/product/775Dual-VSTA.htm

click on the picture for further details.

So i'm guessing it's probably my CPU or GPU or casefan or PSU.. but 80% of my vote is on CPU fan
November 6, 2006 2:23:15 AM

K, that means it can't be the heat sink. Basically find the noise and replace the fan. I'd suspect CPU too but it depends. Try opening a program that monitors fan speed and see whether you see any major fluctuations in speed.
November 6, 2006 2:55:02 AM

Quote:
HI all,

On this recent friday, i just upgraded my PC

From Asus NF7 + AMD Barton 2600+ to
Intel Core 2 Asrock Dual 775 Vista

Everything went smoothly except randomly i could hear a very loud high pitch screeching soudn coming from my pc.

anyone got any suggestions? Kinda worried now coz no one's at home.. and my pc's on :( 

You wouldn't be using an ATI video card with its "screeching" blower would you? It will run full tilt at start up then settle down.
November 6, 2006 3:09:59 AM

You really need to stick your head in the case and turn it on so you can nail it down to at least a general area in your case. If you cant nail it down, try unplugging different fans (1 at a time) to figure it out.
November 6, 2006 3:17:34 AM

"You really need to stick your head in the case and turn it on so you can nail it down to at least a general area in your case. If you cant nail it down, try unplugging different fans (1 at a time) to figure it out."

yes indeed.. unfortunately.. or maybe fortunately.. so far everytime it happens.. it happens for less then 5 seconds.. and very very rarely.. so by the time i actually open my case and try to stick my head in.. the noise is gone.

The only 1 time it happened for a prolong period of time was when i was out of the house, my gf called me and i told her to shutdown my pc, she rebooted it.. and it's gone..

"You wouldn't be using an ATI video card with its "screeching" blower would you? It will run full tilt at start up then settle down."

Nope. using Geforce 7800GS AGP

"K, that means it can't be the heat sink. Basically find the noise and replace the fan. I'd suspect CPU too but it depends. Try opening a program that monitors fan speed and see whether you see any major fluctuations in speed."

Very good idea.. i'll do that.

thx again everyone who posted :)  will keep you updated. Keep the comments coming :) 
November 6, 2006 3:48:42 AM

Quick question: When does this occur? Is there any specific things your doing when it occurs? Are you running any CPU intensive apps? If you are, the screeching noise would be from one of your fans spinning up to cool down the system.

My suggestion is to open your case up so that you can access it quickly while it's still running and running two copies of CPU Burn. If you don't know how to do set up CPU burn to load both cores, open up task manager with two instances of it running and set each CPU burn process to it's own core. You can get it [ur=http://users.bigpond.net.au/cpuburn/]here[/]

Stay near your case and as soon as it starts making the screeching noise, stop each fan in your case manually by putting your finger in the middle of fan. (Not on the blades! It doesn't do any harm, usually, but it's safer on the center where the blades extend from) Once you find your culprit, find out how big it is and buy a replacement from Newegg or your local Compubin. I'd recommend Newegg though, they probably have the fan you'd need.

Then again, you may want to just check to make sure you don't have any dust clogging up your fans. It seems unlikely, but this could be the cause of your problem. Might save you a few dollars from having to replace those fans.
November 6, 2006 4:01:00 AM

Quote:
Quick question: When does this occur? Is there any specific things your doing when it occurs? Are you running any CPU intensive apps? If you are, the screeching noise would be from one of your fans spinning up to cool down the system.

My suggestion is to open your case up so that you can access it quickly while it's still running and running two copies of CPU Burn. If you don't know how to do set up CPU burn to load both cores, open up task manager with two instances of it running and set each CPU burn process to it's own core. You can get it [ur=http://users.bigpond.net.au/cpuburn/]here[/]

Stay near your case and as soon as it starts making the screeching noise, stop each fan in your case manually by putting your finger in the middle of fan. (Not on the blades! It doesn't do any harm, usually, but it's safer on the center where the blades extend from) Once you find your culprit, find out how big it is and buy a replacement from Newegg or your local Compubin. I'd recommend Newegg though, they probably have the fan you'd need.

Then again, you may want to just check to make sure you don't have any dust clogging up your fans. It seems unlikely, but this could be the cause of your problem. Might save you a few dollars from having to replace those fans.

The thing happens totally randomly.. i played games on this system with max settings, the sound didn't come out. but while i'm surfing the web, it can come out maybe for a split second.. then goes back.

So, yeah it's kinda totally random atm.

I'll try to find out where's the sound coming from :)  guess most likely i'll have to replace that fan once i find out
November 6, 2006 4:33:35 AM

where is your computer plugged into? Some surge protectors emit a siren if it is on overload.
November 6, 2006 4:41:25 AM

it's pluged into a surge protector.. nah it's not coming from the surge protector coz the surge protector is on my left and compuer on my right
November 6, 2006 8:08:33 AM

well i've got good news and bad news..

good news is that it's not my CPU fan.

Bad news is it's my GPU fan :( 

i can't exactly replace this graphics card either :(  no idea why this happens.. Is there any easy way to solve this ?

AGP 7800GS

I've been using this card for about few months now. It's the first time it has happened.

Even with that sound though, Both graphics card and CPU temp is pretty cool.
November 6, 2006 8:10:37 AM

GPU temp holds at 49C and CPu temp holds at 35-38C in an no aircon hot afternoon
November 6, 2006 8:52:02 AM

If its your graphics card you could replace the cooler..... its relatively straightforward. You can buy after market coolers for about £12.00 ($20.00).
November 6, 2006 9:13:42 AM

Quote:
If its your graphics card you could replace the cooler..... its relatively straightforward.

thats what i said about an hour ago but i deleted my post after i coulnt find any coolers that supported the AGP version of the 7800gs..
November 6, 2006 9:28:06 AM

get yourself a aftermarket cooler,
i've put this one on my card.

Zalman
VF700 ALCU

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=150&co...

cheapest and best value aftermerket cooler,
you can always go for a all copper solution or a bigger one like te VF900.

not to hard to find in my region
November 6, 2006 10:26:01 PM

interesting.. i'll certainly look into it if it becomes worst..

I can't believe it's my GPU.. been using it for 3-4 months, nothing happened. Only once i just upgraded then this came.

I took it out yesterday and "cleaned" it, There was some dust around the fan so cleared it all and put it back. Make sure it's secure this time.. hopefully that'll solve the problem
November 7, 2006 1:19:56 AM

Quote:
interesting.. i'll certainly look into it if it becomes worst..

I can't believe it's my GPU.. been using it for 3-4 months, nothing happened. Only once i just upgraded then this came.

I took it out yesterday and "cleaned" it, There was some dust around the fan so cleared it all and put it back. Make sure it's secure this time.. hopefully that'll solve the problem

Hehe, when I didn't know what type of video card you were using I did suggest the noise may be coming from the GPU cooler on an ATI, but you said nah, it's an Nvidia.. Ah well.
November 13, 2006 3:48:06 AM

Update:

SEems that the sound is gone! :) 

What i did was took the video card out and cleaned it. On the fan, though it's facing downwards, there's some dust collected. Some were quite thick bundled up together. I took all of it out. Also made sure teh card is securely placed in.

Now no more sound since i did that :) 

YAY!
!