HP 4C ScanJet C2520B unavailable from Control Panel.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 7, 2005 7:47:05 PM

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 10:28:01 AM

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 16:47:05 -0500 in alt.comp.periphs.scanner, "W.
Kirk Crawford" <wkc@NOTHEREcomcast.net> wrote:

>I have a HP 4C ScanJet C2520B that has worked last Christmas. Not
>working Today.
>
>I right-click on My Computer> Properties> Hardware>Device Manager> +
>Imaging devices, there is my HP ScanJet 6100c or 4c/3c. Right-click
>that> Properties, This device is working properly.
>
>Start> Settings> Control Panel> Scanners and Cameras Properties>
>There is my HP ScanJet 6100c or 4c/3c. Then click Properties>
>Status, Unavailable.
>
>Where to turn that switch on?

If you have two Scanjets on the same system, check HP for a note about
issues with those.

Totally power off your system and all peripherals.
Unplug and replug both ends of power and USB/SCSI connections.
Power on your peripherals and then your system.
Watch to see if the lamp comes on at some point.
If the lamp does not come on, it may be an external or internal power
problem.
If the lamp does come on, it probably isn't a power problem, but it
may be a USB/SCSI interface or connection problem on either end.

Check the HP site for more troubleshooting help in either case:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/solveCategory?lc=en&...

Brian.Inglis@CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:31:53 PM

March 11, 2005 10:34:16 PM

> W. Kirk Crawford <wkc@NOTHEREcomcast.net> wrote:

> I have given the Scanner to a friend who took it
> home, plug it in, and it worked for him.

Using what interface card(s) on what operating systems?

The original ISA cards lack IRQ support and do not
work on NT-based (NT, Win2K, XP) operating systems.
You need a real SCSI card.

March 12, 2005 5:37:37 AM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:31:53 -0500 in alt.comp.periphs.scanner, "W.
Kirk Crawford" <wkc@NOTHEREcomcast.net> wrote:

>I have given the Scanner to a friend who took it home, plug it in,
>and it worked for him.
>
>Brought it home, plug it in, Light lights, but still in the Control
>Panel "Unavailable"
>
>Though I hit every page @ HP.

What have you added/changed on your system since xmas?
Add any nice xmas presents that may have deinstalled your scanner?

Brian.Inglis@CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 7:55:01 PM

fOn Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:31:53 -0500 in alt.comp.periphs.scanner, "W.
Kirk Crawford" <wkc@NOTHEREcomcast.net> wrote:

>I have given the Scanner to a friend who took it home, plug it in,
>and it worked for him.
>
>Brought it home, plug it in, Light lights, but still in the Control
>Panel "Unavailable"
>
>Though I hit every page @ HP.

You might want to try the solution suggested under subject "Agfa
Snapscan ..." in a recent post.

Brian.Inglis@CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 8:44:59 PM

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 11:09:50 PM

> W. Kirk Crawford <wkc@NOTHEREcomcast.net> wrote:

> I am running Adaptec AHA-294X/AIC-78XX PIC SCSI Controller.
> Windows 2000 Pro.

No obvious issues there. I'm running a 4C on an
AHA-2940 here under Win2K.

Now you are aware, I presume, that if the scanner
isn't powered-on at boot time, that Win2K won't
automatically find it later. Win98 had SCSI PnP.
Win2K doesn't (at least for this scanner).

In any case, try:
Start > Settings > Control Panel
System [Hardware] [Device Manager]
<Select> SCSI and RAID controllers
<right-click> Scan for hardware changes

--
Regards, Bob Niland mailto:n...@ispname.tld
NOT speaking for any employer, client or Internet Service Provider

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 1:31:42 PM

I may have missed some of the things you have tried. If so, apologies. I
would pull the scsi card, vacuum everything out and put it back in. Then I
would uninstall the scsi driver and reinstall it. Then I would do the same
for the scanner S/W. Still not working, put in a new SCSI card. I think I
read in another note that it worked on your friends machine. Since the
scanner is working in a similar config on their machine the only thing left
are scsi card and S/W. Perhaps you can borrow your friends scsi card and
try it to see if problem fixed before doing all the rest.

Gord

"W. Kirk Crawford" <wkc@NOTHEREcomcast.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 1:31:43 PM

> Gord Schindler <gords@idirect.com> wrote:

> Since the scanner is working in a similar config on
> their machine the only thing left are scsi card and S/W.

Also:
- cables
- terminator
- bus configuration (conflicting IDs)

And "S/W" could include the ASPI layer.

March 13, 2005 4:59:31 PM

True. At any rate the best way to find this problem is start eliminating
things one by one. If the cable went to the friends house that won't be the
problem for example. Start with the simplest things and work toward the
more difficult testing as you go.
Gord

"Bob Niland" <email4rjn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o psnk2ivqcft8z8r@news.individual.net...
>> Gord Schindler <gords@idirect.com> wrote:
>
>> Since the scanner is working in a similar config on
>> their machine the only thing left are scsi card and S/W.
>
> Also:
> - cables
> - terminator
> - bus configuration (conflicting IDs)
>
> And "S/W" could include the ASPI layer.
>
> --
> Regards, Bob Niland mailto:name@ispname.tld
> http://www.access-one.com/rjn email4rjn AT yahoo DOT com
> NOT speaking for any employer, client or Internet Service Provider.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 5:56:01 PM

"Gord Schindler" <gords@idirect.com> wrote in message news:headnTEesMKUwanfRVn-tQ@look.ca...
<Snip> Still not working, put in a new SCSI card.
<Snip>

But why then does the system set the scanner if the SCSI card is bad?

W. Kirk Crawford
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 8:32:11 PM

There could be elements of the scsi card that are not working. The point
though is to eliminate everything, one thing at a time, starting with the
easiest and working toward the most difficult. If you can borrow your
friends scsi card that is the best 'cause you don't want to have to go out
and buy one on spec. I've been working on this stuff all my life and there
are several ways to approach a problem like this. This may just do it for
you.

> "Gord Schindler" <gords@idirect.com> wrote in message
> <Snip> Still not working, put in a new SCSI card.
> <Snip>
>
> But why then does the system set the scanner if the SCSI card is bad?
>
> W. Kirk Crawford
> Rochester Hills, Michigan

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 7:18:22 PM