Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Backup failed

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 5:53:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

How the f*** do I make a FULL backup of everything on the master
hard disk?

The programme misleads you to thinking that this can be done, but
when you try it. it comes back with a message telling you that
'The files for the recovery diskette could not be created',
what the hell does that mean?

I'm trying to make the backup to the 'D' drive, which has more
than adequate space on it.

I did try to do it to a CD but it would not allow me to chose the
CD drive.

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

More about : backup failed

Anonymous
December 16, 2004 5:53:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Are you by any chance referring to Windows' own ntbackup program?

If so, it is well documented that ntbackup does not backup directly to CD or
DVD. For example:

"Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255

Exactly what do you wish to backup? If you are trying to create an identical
copy of your hard disk - which is a very good idea - you need disk imaging
software. Look at Ghost 9.0 by Symantec and True Image 8.0 by Acronis.
However, disk imaging is not really a task for a new user. You'll do fine if
you carefully read through all the documentation.
--
Ted Zieglar


"Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:yjhwd.514$JI3.195@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
>
> How the f*** do I make a FULL backup of everything on the master
> hard disk?
>
> The programme misleads you to thinking that this can be done, but
> when you try it. it comes back with a message telling you that
> 'The files for the recovery diskette could not be created',
> what the hell does that mean?
>
> I'm trying to make the backup to the 'D' drive, which has more
> than adequate space on it.
>
> I did try to do it to a CD but it would not allow me to chose the
> CD drive.
>
> --
> alan
>
> reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 5:53:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics, microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

XP Home won't create ASR floppy.
For XP Pro, search microsoft.com for the error text. You'll find a few
articles.
--
http://www.firestreamer.com - NTBackup to DVD and DV
Related resources
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 7:18:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Sounds like you have XP Home version. The NTBackup program that ships with
the Home version of XP has less than minimal value which is likely the
reason why it is not installed by default. The version that ships with XP
Pro is only slightly better but not by much. Try Acronis TrueImage or
Symantec Ghost.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp


"Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:yjhwd.514$JI3.195@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
|
| How the f*** do I make a FULL backup of everything on the master
| hard disk?
|
| The programme misleads you to thinking that this can be done, but
| when you try it. it comes back with a message telling you that
| 'The files for the recovery diskette could not be created',
| what the hell does that mean?
|
| I'm trying to make the backup to the 'D' drive, which has more
| than adequate space on it.
|
| I did try to do it to a CD but it would not allow me to chose the
| CD drive.
|
| --
| alan
|
| reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net
|
|
|
|
|
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 10:01:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23eqFHJ44EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Are you by any chance referring to Windows' own ntbackup program?

It's not a perfect program either. I recommend investing in the latest
version of Norton Ghost (based on Drive Image by Powerquest). It allows you
to backup direct to DVD. However I prefer to set it up to backup to an
external USB 2.0 hard drive. I like this set up because:

a) I can schedule it to run at 3am and it makes an entire copy of my HD (and
verifies it) in about 45mins.

b) It sends me an email to tell me if the backup passed or failed. No need
to find log files. Just check email.

c) I set it up to split the backup into 600MByte files - that way I can move
them onto CD or DVD at will.

d) I can set it up to keep only the last 7 days of nightly backups and 4
weekly backups - that way my external HD is kept full but never fills up
causing a backup to fail.
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 1:39:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23eqFHJ44EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Are you by any chance referring to Windows' own ntbackup program?

Whatever it is that comes with Win XP Home.

> If so, it is well documented that ntbackup does not backup directly to CD
> or

I have been also trying to backup to the 'D' drive

> DVD. For example:
>
> "Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255
>
> Exactly what do you wish to backup? If you are trying to create an
> identical
> copy of your hard disk - which is a very good idea - you need disk imaging
> software. Look at Ghost 9.0 by Symantec and True Image 8.0 by Acronis.
> However, disk imaging is not really a task for a new user. You'll do fine
> if
> you carefully read through all the documentation.

This is what I'm trying to do, a complete backup of the whole of the 'C'
drive.

The next question is, where do I find these programmes?

I think it's bloody ridiculoous that MS do not provide a sensible backup
system with this very expensive software.

Alan

> --
> Ted Zieglar
>
>
> "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
> news:yjhwd.514$JI3.195@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
>>
>> How the f*** do I make a FULL backup of everything on the master
>> hard disk?
>>
>> The programme misleads you to thinking that this can be done, but
>> when you try it. it comes back with a message telling you that
>> 'The files for the recovery diskette could not be created',
>> what the hell does that mean?
>>
>> I'm trying to make the backup to the 'D' drive, which has more
>> than adequate space on it.
>>
>> I did try to do it to a CD but it would not allow me to chose the
>> CD drive.
>>
>> --
>> alan
>>
>> reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 1:14:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote ...
> If so, it is well documented that ntbackup does not backup directly to CD
or
> DVD. For example:
> "Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255

Apart from the breathtaking stupidity that Backup does not work with the
most commonly available devices of adequate size,

(1) "well documented" would be to document it IN BACKUP (or ntbackup if you
prefer) ITSELF. I.e., backup should say, "You can't backup to a CD/DVD.
Sorry about that." right there. This has certainly got to be one of the
most common "errors", and should have a clear error message, not a cryptic
"the backup file name could not be used".

(2) Why, then, does my CD-RW drive appear in the list of backup devices?
(When I select it, I get an error message on trying to write.)
December 18, 2004 1:19:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"ggull" <ggullSPAM@NOTrcn.com> wrote in message news:upUwD9K5EHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

>
> (2) Why, then, does my CD-RW drive appear in the list of backup devices?
> (When I select it, I get an error message on trying to write.)
>
>

Because that is the default behavior of Explorer when referring back to the system for reference. You can back it up to your hard drive, then burn it to disk if you so desire.
December 18, 2004 1:30:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

http://www.stompsoft.com/
Click on TRIAL VERSIONS


Get Backup My PC

The Trial Version Works... Backs up Comlete HD to either Cd-r Cd/rw
DVD/RW DVD-r DVD+r.. Mix or Match ...
You will need Your XP Product In Number. Also 4- 1.44 Floppies for
the restore process

No Reactivation after u Restore your Hard Drive ..
Works Better than Ghost !!!

The DEMO works



Alan Holmes wrote:

> How the f*** do I make a FULL backup of everything on the master
> hard disk?
>
> The programme misleads you to thinking that this can be done, but
> when you try it. it comes back with a message telling you that
> 'The files for the recovery diskette could not be created',
> what the hell does that mean?
>
> I'm trying to make the backup to the 'D' drive, which has more
> than adequate space on it.
>
> I did try to do it to a CD but it would not allow me to chose the
> CD drive.
>
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 1:53:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23eqFHJ44EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Are you by any chance referring to Windows' own ntbackup program?
>
> If so, it is well documented that ntbackup does not backup directly to CD
> or
> DVD. For example:
>
> "Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255
>
> Exactly what do you wish to backup? If you are trying to create an
> identical
> copy of your hard disk - which is a very good idea - you need disk imaging
> software. Look at Ghost 9.0 by Symantec and True Image 8.0 by Acronis.
> However, disk imaging is not really a task for a new user. You'll do fine
> if
> you carefully read through all the documentation.

I thught I'd replied to this but it hasn't appeared, so:-

How, or where, will I find these programmes?

Alan

> --
> Ted Zieglar
>
>
> "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
> news:yjhwd.514$JI3.195@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
>>
>> How the f*** do I make a FULL backup of everything on the master
>> hard disk?
>>
>> The programme misleads you to thinking that this can be done, but
>> when you try it. it comes back with a message telling you that
>> 'The files for the recovery diskette could not be created',
>> what the hell does that mean?
>>
>> I'm trying to make the backup to the 'D' drive, which has more
>> than adequate space on it.
>>
>> I did try to do it to a CD but it would not allow me to chose the
>> CD drive.
>>
>> --
>> alan
>>
>> reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 4:36:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:14:20 -0500, ggull wrote:

> (2) Why, then, does my CD-RW drive appear in the list of backup devices?
> (When I select it, I get an error message on trying to write.)

It's possible to get the drive to show up as an available location (mapping
it as network drive is one way) and it's possible to use it *IF* the
resulting backup file will small enough to fit on a single CD. Spanning
disks is out of this program's scope.

Backup is too important to work with a lot of "ifs" and "maybes." I used
NTbackup within its limitations until I settled on a third party backup
solution. It was good for the interim but am happier with the alternative I
chose.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 9:45:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
news:%23QU$6074EHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Sounds like you have XP Home version. The NTBackup program that ships with
> the Home version of XP has less than minimal value which is likely the
> reason why it is not installed by default. The version that ships with XP
> Pro is only slightly better but not by much. Try Acronis TrueImage or
> Symantec Ghost.

When is someone going to tell me how to get at these programmes?
--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 9:45:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Well, gee, do you think going to Acronis.com or Symantec.com just might be a
start?

--
David Nimon
dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca

--------------------------------
"Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:W_jxd.1230$Yr6.694@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
>
>
> When is someone going to tell me how to get at these programmes?
> --
> alan
>
>
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 9:45:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Harry Ohrn is telling you that that the XP backup program is a. Not
installed [default] on the Home version. b. In his opinion, the XP
NTBackup program is not the best available. Better are Norton's Ghost 9
and Acronis TrueImage; however, they both are not free.
You can pull NTBackup off your XP CD and install it or download it from
:http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm . Scroll down to
"Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version" and click the
highlighted words to download.
Gene K

Alan Holmes wrote:
> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
> news:%23QU$6074EHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>
>>Sounds like you have XP Home version. The NTBackup program that ships with
>>the Home version of XP has less than minimal value which is likely the
>>reason why it is not installed by default. The version that ships with XP
>>Pro is only slightly better but not by much. Try Acronis TrueImage or
>>Symantec Ghost.
>
>
> When is someone going to tell me how to get at these programmes?
December 19, 2004 9:45:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Yes, but theHarry made slight point in the difference between Home and Pro versions.

Even if he installs the Home program, it won't do what he wants, which a is a full system backup, since Home will only back up data and settings. Pro will do a full system backup as well (called Automated System Recovery Wizard).

"Not Me" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message news:uWT%23wCg5EHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Harry Ohrn is telling you that that the XP backup program is a. Not
> installed [default] on the Home version. b. In his opinion, the XP
> NTBackup program is not the best available. Better are Norton's Ghost 9
> and Acronis TrueImage; however, they both are not free.
> You can pull NTBackup off your XP CD and install it or download it from
> :http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm . Scroll down to
> "Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version" and click the
> highlighted words to download.
> Gene K
>
> Alan Holmes wrote:
>> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
>> news:%23QU$6074EHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>
>>>Sounds like you have XP Home version. The NTBackup program that ships with
>>>the Home version of XP has less than minimal value which is likely the
>>>reason why it is not installed by default. The version that ships with XP
>>>Pro is only slightly better but not by much. Try Acronis TrueImage or
>>>Symantec Ghost.
>>
>>
>> When is someone going to tell me how to get at these programmes?
December 19, 2004 10:37:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have little faith in XP when using DVD's based on my experience but need a
backup program like ghost 9. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a
trial copy and refuse to pay $70 for something that may not work for me. Any
idea where to get a demo copy? None at Symantec site that I can find. I am
currently testing NTI BACKUP and it looks OK but no drive image, just files.
SG

"Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
news:%23QU$6074EHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Sounds like you have XP Home version. The NTBackup program that ships with
> the Home version of XP has less than minimal value which is likely the
> reason why it is not installed by default. The version that ships with XP
> Pro is only slightly better but not by much. Try Acronis TrueImage or
> Symantec Ghost.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>
>
> "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
> news:yjhwd.514$JI3.195@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
> |
> | How the f*** do I make a FULL backup of everything on the master
> | hard disk?
> |
> | The programme misleads you to thinking that this can be done, but
> | when you try it. it comes back with a message telling you that
> | 'The files for the recovery diskette could not be created',
> | what the hell does that mean?
> |
> | I'm trying to make the backup to the 'D' drive, which has more
> | than adequate space on it.
> |
> | I did try to do it to a CD but it would not allow me to chose the
> | CD drive.
> |
> | --
> | alan
> |
> | reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net
> |
> |
> |
> |
> |
>
>
December 19, 2004 10:37:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

BootIt NG makes a nice imaging program, as well as having a great partition manager, and much more. It comes iwth a 30 day full functional trial, $35 to pruchase.
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

"shakey" <shakey@nearsonic.net> wrote in message news:2Mkxd.13237$_3.149349@typhoon.sonic.net...
>I have little faith in XP when using DVD's based on my experience but need a
> backup program like ghost 9. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a
> trial copy and refuse to pay $70 for something that may not work for me. Any
> idea where to get a demo copy? None at Symantec site that I can find. I am
> currently testing NTI BACKUP and it looks OK but no drive image, just files.
> SG
>
> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
> news:%23QU$6074EHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Sounds like you have XP Home version. The NTBackup program that ships with
>> the Home version of XP has less than minimal value which is likely the
>> reason why it is not installed by default. The version that ships with XP
>> Pro is only slightly better but not by much. Try Acronis TrueImage or
>> Symantec Ghost.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>>
>>
>> "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
>> news:yjhwd.514$JI3.195@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
>> |
>> | How the f*** do I make a FULL backup of everything on the master
>> | hard disk?
>> |
>> | The programme misleads you to thinking that this can be done, but
>> | when you try it. it comes back with a message telling you that
>> | 'The files for the recovery diskette could not be created',
>> | what the hell does that mean?
>> |
>> | I'm trying to make the backup to the 'D' drive, which has more
>> | than adequate space on it.
>> |
>> | I did try to do it to a CD but it would not allow me to chose the
>> | CD drive.
>> |
>> | --
>> | alan
>> |
>> | reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net
>> |
>> |
>> |
>> |
>> |
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 4:40:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I found Acronis TrueImage trial here (15 days, no restore):
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/

But there is no trial package at Symantec
"norton ghost 9" trial download
gave a lot of links at google though, but they aren't on Symantec's
homepage, so...



--
Tumppi
Reply to group
=================================================
Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
(translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
=================================================



"shakey" <shakey@nearsonic.net> kirjoitti viestissä
news:2Mkxd.13237$_3.149349@typhoon.sonic.net...
> I have little faith in XP when using DVD's based on my experience but need
a
> backup program like ghost 9. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a
> trial copy and refuse to pay $70 for something that may not work for me.
Any
> idea where to get a demo copy? None at Symantec site that I can find. I am
> currently testing NTI BACKUP and it looks OK but no drive image, just
files.
> SG
>
> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
> news:%23QU$6074EHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Sounds like you have XP Home version. The NTBackup program that ships
with
> > the Home version of XP has less than minimal value which is likely the
> > reason why it is not installed by default. The version that ships with
XP
> > Pro is only slightly better but not by much. Try Acronis TrueImage or
> > Symantec Ghost.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> >
> >
> > "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
> > news:yjhwd.514$JI3.195@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
> > |
> > | How the f*** do I make a FULL backup of everything on the master
> > | hard disk?
> > |
> > | The programme misleads you to thinking that this can be done, but
> > | when you try it. it comes back with a message telling you that
> > | 'The files for the recovery diskette could not be created',
> > | what the hell does that mean?
> > |
> > | I'm trying to make the backup to the 'D' drive, which has more
> > | than adequate space on it.
> > |
> > | I did try to do it to a CD but it would not allow me to chose the
> > | CD drive.
> > |
> > | --
> > | alan
> > |
> > | reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net
> > |
> > |
> > |
> > |
> > |
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 4:50:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks for these ref's.
"~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote
> Loads of freebies here. Or ask in the alt.comp.freeware NG. I got most of
> my software for free with their help, including one of the best burning
> programs I've yet to find.
>
> FS~
> Pricelessware: FREE
> http://www.pricelessware.org
> http://www.pricelesswarehome.org
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 9:17:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In the days of DOS there was a very useful programme called XCOPY,
I know it still exists but has anyone used it recently?


--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 9:17:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:17:58 GMT, Alan Holmes wrote:

> In the days of DOS there was a very useful programme called XCOPY,
> I know it still exists but has anyone used it recently?

XCopy was very nice. Most of the recommendations I see for XP is to use
xxcopy (http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm). It's good for backup but, from
what I've read, the results do not produce a drive copy that can boot on
its own.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 9:17:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

XCOPY works within a comand prompt under XP, and has essentialy the same
format as it did in DOS.

I just used it earlier today on a PC with XP SP2.


"Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:qNZxd.765$5d5.284@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
>
> In the days of DOS there was a very useful programme called XCOPY,
> I know it still exists but has anyone used it recently?
>
>
> --
> alan
>
> reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 9:17:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Dragging and dropping does it all for me.
--
Ted Zieglar


"Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:qNZxd.765$5d5.284@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
>
> In the days of DOS there was a very useful programme called XCOPY,
> I know it still exists but has anyone used it recently?
>
>
> --
> alan
>
> reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net
>
>
>
>
December 22, 2004 11:39:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Ah but will xxcopy clone work on XP? That works great on 98se for creating a true image copy on
another hard disk in the root.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:15:37 -0600, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:17:58 GMT, Alan Holmes wrote:
>
>> In the days of DOS there was a very useful programme called XCOPY,
>> I know it still exists but has anyone used it recently?
>
>XCopy was very nice. Most of the recommendations I see for XP is to use
>xxcopy (http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm). It's good for backup but, from
>what I've read, the results do not produce a drive copy that can boot on
>its own.

*****************
Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net

A true believer in compassionate liberal anarchy.

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 2:58:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:39:09 -0500, KG wrote:

> Ah but will xxcopy clone work on XP? That works great on 98se for creating a true image copy on
> another hard disk in the root

As far as I know (and as I said in my previous reply), no - it does not do
the same thing for XP that it will do for Win98.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 12:43:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
news:uGnewo55EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Dragging and dropping does it all for me.

I'm trying to copy the entire contents of the C drive as a backup to drive
D.

How would dragging and dropping acheive that?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net


> --
> Ted Zieglar
>
>
> "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
> news:qNZxd.765$5d5.284@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
>>
>> In the days of DOS there was a very useful programme called XCOPY,
>> I know it still exists but has anyone used it recently?
>>
>>
>> --
>> alan
>>
>> reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 12:43:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
news:%23jq2PD55EHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:17:58 GMT, Alan Holmes wrote:
>
>> In the days of DOS there was a very useful programme called XCOPY,
>> I know it still exists but has anyone used it recently?
>
> XCopy was very nice. Most of the recommendations I see for XP is to use
> xxcopy (http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm). It's good for backup but, from
> what I've read, the results do not produce a drive copy that can boot on
> its own.

Thanks, but I wouldn't expect the backup to boot, if there was a problem
I would expect to reload XP, then recover all the files etc. to be able
to restore the whole thing to the level before the last backup.

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 12:43:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"David Nimon" <dnimonREMOVE@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:5ckxd.3379$Z%3.82722@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Well, gee, do you think going to Acronis.com or Symantec.com just might be
> a start?

I'm not that bright!

I would have expected an expert like you to understand that anyone asking
a question here would not have the expertise that you appear to have.
--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

>
> --
> David Nimon
> dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca
>
> --------------------------------
> "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
> news:W_jxd.1230$Yr6.694@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
>>
>>
>> When is someone going to tell me how to get at these programmes?
>> --
>> alan
>>
>>
>
>
>
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:07:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi, Sharon.

I like Xcopy and still use it often. I haven't had to backup a full volume
in a few months, but when I do, I use it with these switches:

xcopy d:\ x:\ /c /h /e /r /k

(As always in a "DOS" window, type the command followed by /? to see a
mini-Help file showing all the switches and parameters used with that
command: xcopy /?)

> the results do not produce a drive copy that can boot on
> its own.

Two reasons for this. First, the boot sector is critical to booting and it
is NOT a file, so no file-handling command can copy it. We have to use
something like the Recovery Console command FixBoot. Second, Xcopy cannot
copy the currently-in-use Registry files. But by booting into a parallel
install, for example, we can Xcopy the entire volume.

Oh. Rereading your post, I see you have TWO X'es in XXcopy. I've never
tried that one. So I don't know if the same two factors apply to that.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@corridor.net
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
news:%23jq2PD55EHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:17:58 GMT, Alan Holmes wrote:
>
>> In the days of DOS there was a very useful programme called XCOPY,
>> I know it still exists but has anyone used it recently?
>
> XCopy was very nice. Most of the recommendations I see for XP is to use
> xxcopy (http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm). It's good for backup but, from
> what I've read, the results do not produce a drive copy that can boot on
> its own.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 1:54:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:07:45 -0600, R. C. White wrote:

> Oh. Rereading your post, I see you have TWO X'es in XXcopy. I've never
> tried that one. So I don't know if the same two factors apply to that.

Hi, RC. Yep, 2 XX's - a similar but different program. Did you reset your
newsreader recently? Just wondering since this is an older thread. :) 

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 10:57:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi, Sharon.

My hometown ISP (San Marcos Internet, Inc.) sold out to ("joined forces",
they said) the larger hometown communication conglomerate (Grande
Communications) last month. While they both use the same news server
(SuperNews), I've had to switch to the Grande server. When I created the
new News account in OE, it started me over from scratch in my Usenet
newsgroups.

That doesn't affect these MS public NGs directly, but I've spent so much
time catching up in my Quicken NG and a couple of others in Usenet that I've
gotten a little behind here in the WindowsXP groups, too.

It sure was nice for the past 10 years, being able to call up and talk to
the ISP's owner when I had a problem. Now, he's still there, but he works
for the big corporation. So I have to fight my way through a half-dozen
layers of phone maze just to get to Tech Support - including working my way
past offers to help with my telephone or TV cable. :>( And neither he nor
I can understand yet why I have to disable Norton Internet Security at least
temporarily before I can collect my email, which still uses the same POP3
server.

Oh, well. Onward and upward. Bigger is always better. NOT!

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@corridor.net
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
news:o r098UrEFHA.3728@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:07:45 -0600, R. C. White wrote:
>
>> Oh. Rereading your post, I see you have TWO X'es in XXcopy. I've never
>> tried that one. So I don't know if the same two factors apply to that.
>
> Hi, RC. Yep, 2 XX's - a similar but different program. Did you reset your
> newsreader recently? Just wondering since this is an older thread. :) 
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 12:19:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:57:17 -0600, R. C. White wrote:

> Hi, Sharon.
>
> My hometown ISP (San Marcos Internet, Inc.) sold out to ("joined forces",
> they said) the larger hometown communication conglomerate (Grande
> Communications) last month. While they both use the same news server
> (SuperNews), I've had to switch to the Grande server. When I created the
> new News account in OE, it started me over from scratch in my Usenet
> newsgroups.
>
> That doesn't affect these MS public NGs directly, but I've spent so much
> time catching up in my Quicken NG and a couple of others in Usenet that I've
> gotten a little behind here in the WindowsXP groups, too.
>
> It sure was nice for the past 10 years, being able to call up and talk to
> the ISP's owner when I had a problem. Now, he's still there, but he works
> for the big corporation. So I have to fight my way through a half-dozen
> layers of phone maze just to get to Tech Support - including working my way
> past offers to help with my telephone or TV cable. :>( And neither he nor
> I can understand yet why I have to disable Norton Internet Security at least
> temporarily before I can collect my email, which still uses the same POP3
> server.
>
> Oh, well. Onward and upward. Bigger is always better. NOT!
>
> RC

I hope that there will be improvement after the dust from the changeover
settles. Good luck with the new/old service.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 4:34:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Seeing this thread prompts me to ask why full file name are copied but
folder names are truncated to aaaaaa~1.aaa. More importantly is it possible
(and how) to use full length folder names?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 6:40:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Bill, please include previous message in your replies to newsgroup posts (OE
Tools>Options>Send>...).

Thank you.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Bill Ridgeway wrote:
> Seeing this thread prompts me to ask why full file name are copied but
> folder names are truncated to aaaaaa~1.aaa. More importantly is it
> possible (and how) to use full length folder names?
February 16, 2005 11:59:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:34:32 -0000, "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote:

>Seeing this thread prompts me to ask why full file name are copied but
>folder names are truncated to aaaaaa~1.aaa. More importantly is it possible
>(and how) to use full length folder names?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Bill Ridgeway
>
xcopy is DOS, 8-3 file names
*****************
Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net

There is nothing so annoying as arguing with somebody who knows what he is
talking about!

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 7:56:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi, KG.

The original Xcopy.com (or was it .exe; I forget) was for an MS-DOS version
that pre-dated Long File Names. The version in WinXP, though, runs under
the Command Shell (Cmd.exe), often called the "DOS" window - with "DOS" in
quotes to emphasize that it is only an emulation, not true MS-DOS.

C:\Windows\system32\xcopy.exe copies LFNs - unless we use the /N switch,
which "Copies using the generated short names." I've used WinXP's Xcopy
many times to copy full volumes of files, including all LFNs.

As with any command in the "DOS" window, type xcopy /? to see a mini-Help
file listing all the files and switches available with that command.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@corridor.net
Microsoft Windows MVP

"KG" <kgsAT@msbx.net> wrote in message
news:idk611dsin40hhnlnq6sjnj6nislvjboe7@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:34:32 -0000, "Bill Ridgeway"
> <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Seeing this thread prompts me to ask why full file name are copied but
>>folder names are truncated to aaaaaa~1.aaa. More importantly is it
>>possible
>>(and how) to use full length folder names?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Bill Ridgeway
>>
> xcopy is DOS, 8-3 file names
> *****************
> Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net
!