Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 install fails on restart.

Last response: in Windows 7
June 10, 2011 8:54:38 PM

I have put together a new computer and went to install windows. Boot off the cd, everything is fine. New drive (64gb SSD for the OS) so the partitions are the 100mb windows boot partition and the remaining space for the OS, everything is fine. It starts copying and expanding files, everything is fine.

Then i get to "Windows needs to restart to complete the install", ok, no problem, computer shuts down and restarts.
"Windows did not shut down successfully.... I select Start normally.
Starting windows, pretty logo,
Setup recovered from an unexpected shutdown select on option"... Safe mode, command prompt, "Setup is starting servuices"

Then "the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows, click OK to restart the computer and then restart the installation."

I have restarted the installation about 5 times now.
Ideas?

It is a i3-2100T on a Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 with 4gb of GSkill DDR2-1333 (9-9-9-24 @ 1.5v)
The HD is a crucial m4 64GB, the dvd is a sony. Nothing else in the computer. Going through bios, everything looks good.
a b $ Windows 7
June 11, 2011 4:16:02 PM

Use your win 7 cd and instead of installing go to startup and repair and see if that helps to fix the boot record.
m
l
June 11, 2011 10:50:55 PM

it does not, but if you think it is a boot record problem, then maybe the hardrive is bad?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 11, 2011 11:48:04 PM

Most installation problems like this with Windows 7 are memory problems, try running the memory test program on the Windows installation disc or bet yet download a copy of memtest86 and make a bootable CD.
m
l
June 12, 2011 8:12:00 AM

memtest86 showed no errors after 3 passes
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2011 9:24:14 AM

I would still be suspicious of the memory, try it with just one stick fitted. If still no joy then try removing any cards that are not strictly needed to boot the computer into windows, remove any USB devices, disable in the BIOS anything that is not needed to boot the computer such as networking, sound, USB etc.
m
l
June 13, 2011 5:11:42 PM

I will try with one stick at a time in one slot at a time, though, as to the other tips, as I said before, there is nothing in the computer besides ram, processor (w/fan) one case fan, hard drive, dvd, and power supply. The only thing attached by USB is the keyboard and mouse (generic Microsoft components). I will go through the bios and disable everything that is not needed, but I have been using default fail safes because I did not want the bios screwing up the system.
m
l
July 19, 2011 4:51:15 PM

Power supply, the answer was power supply. Don't ask me how it can be ok enough to boot and get through the install, but fail on restart, but boot up just fine to attempt a recovery.

I hate it when people do not give the answer to the problem because when you search later and find the same problem you want to know how it ended.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2011 6:05:56 PM

That was an unusual power supply fault, I am glad that you found the problem. When I answer questions like this I base my answer on personal experience and the probability of the fault occurring. A power supplies going faulty would normally give some indication that it was faulty before it reached the point that it did.
Thank you for providing feedback as to the solution to the problem, like you I hate it when I don’t find out how the problem was resolved.
m
l
October 28, 2011 2:00:14 AM

krunt said:
Power supply, the answer was power supply. Don't ask me how it can be ok enough to boot and get through the install, but fail on restart, but boot up just fine to attempt a recovery.

I hate it when people do not give the answer to the problem because when you search later and find the same problem you want to know how it ended.

Please I have the same PROBLEM
tell me how to check it, i dont know how to check power supply!!
m
l
October 28, 2011 5:06:02 AM

Bayar90 said:
Please I have the same PROBLEM
tell me how to check it, i dont know how to check power supply!!

To be honest, the most sure-fire way to check if the PSU is the source of the problem is to swap it out with a known good PSU. Then, see if the results differ.
m
l
February 7, 2014 12:35:19 PM

krunt said:

How did you end up solving the issue? I seem to be having the same problem with the restarting during install.
m
l
!