Sign in with
Your question

Valve goes multicore

Last response: in CPUs
November 6, 2006 1:31:31 AM

Thought I'd post this for those wanting info on what game developers are doing to support future multithreaded titles.

Quote:
Newell even talked about a trend he sees happening in the future that he calls the "Post-GPU Era." He predicts that as more and more cores appear on single chip dies, companies like Intel and AMD will add more CPU instructions that perform tasks normally handled by the GPU. This could lead to a point where coders and gamers no longer have to worry if a certain game is "CPU-bound" or "GPU-bound," only that the more cores they have available the better the game will perform.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/valve-multicore.ars/1

*Don't see how this thread can possibly devolve into a flame war, but waits to see one anyways*

More about : valve multicore

November 6, 2006 1:59:42 AM

Flaaaame....... no, just kidding. Intresting read clown man.
November 7, 2006 10:42:59 AM

Quote:
Don't see how this thread can possibly devolve into a flame war, but waits to see one anyways
THIS IS THE BIGGES LOAD OF BS...just kidding :wink: nice find.
November 7, 2006 11:05:51 AM

Nice find, Newell also needs to jump on the tread mill (getting kind of fat imo).
November 7, 2006 11:37:12 AM

You missed the most important part of the article! The picture of the guns:

November 7, 2006 11:39:36 AM

Got my vote.
November 7, 2006 11:41:50 AM

Man, if I could quad-weild, nothing could stand in my way...

Looks to me the bottom weapon is a mini-gon, the one above it is a rocket launcher... the top one looks like a grenade launcher, wtf is the second one from the top... reminds me of a MP-5?

Anyways, the industry needs to help game developers out and lower the costs that come into making games... check out the twitch blog for some insightful comment...

Getting tired of games with shiat for story. I buy games for story, therefore Japanese games >> American games...

Name one good American RPG, and then name 5 good Japanese ones... I can do it right now:

Morrowind/Oblivion compared to FF1-12 (Okay, there are some repeats since they got re-released under diff names for english/jap versions, but you get the point...)
November 7, 2006 12:20:47 PM

More guns= better game

Generally speaking of course lol.
November 7, 2006 12:25:42 PM

Quote:
*Don't see how this thread can possibly devolve into a flame war, but waits to see one anyways*

It is easy. It will start when BaronBS will reply.
November 7, 2006 12:41:32 PM

All we need to do is mention 4x4 and his fan-boy instincts will immediatly pick up the scent and bring him over here...

4x4

4x4

4x4

You here yet Baron?
November 7, 2006 12:57:57 PM

Lets not do this.
November 7, 2006 1:32:10 PM

Quote:
Lets not do this.

Agreed
November 7, 2006 2:00:10 PM

Quote:
Lets not do this.

Agreed
aww come on is fun... party poopers :p 
November 7, 2006 2:22:36 PM

this is very exciting. this is the next step in gaming technology and who would gess the best game developer is the one to step foward and take the lead in this. wwoooooooohhoooooooooo cant waight to see some games that take advantage of this ma be a few years but who cares if it is done right.
November 7, 2006 2:24:59 PM

Now here is something I'm start a war on. Valve the best game developer? That title lies with only with Sqauresoft.
November 7, 2006 4:11:19 PM

I am a counter-strike junkie. The news of multi-core support will greatly affect what and when my next upgrade will be. If they come out with the multi-core support soon I will probably scrap my Christmas list and go for a new dual-core proc to replace my Athlon 64 3200+ (single core).
November 7, 2006 4:11:43 PM

Quote:
Now here is something I'm start a war on. Valve the best game developer? That title lies with only with Sqauresoft.

It's hard to see past CS when you play it 12 hours per day (and by day I mean night :)  )
November 7, 2006 4:21:13 PM

Quote:
It's hard to see past CS when you play it 12 hours per day (and by day I mean night :)  )

Friday night + CS:S + Mountain Dew = All fun and no sleep!

My clan has awesome servers: http://www.clanlod.us
November 7, 2006 4:31:10 PM

It depends on what kind of gamer you on. You have your RPG gamers, your FPS gamers, your RTS gamers, even you sim gamers...

RPG wise, Japan has us beat, we can't even come close. The whole FF series, Grandia II, Zelda, Dragon Quest series... what do we have that can match them? Maybe Morrowind or Oblivion at best, but the story is nowhere close to what they have...

FPS, RTS, and Sim's US has the greatest influence... for FPS, I would have to give that honor to either Valve with HL2 or the Battlefield series

RTS... Westwood pioneered it with Command and Conquerer, but Total Annihalation and Starcraft gets honorable mentions...

Sim... Maxis... and only Maxis
November 7, 2006 4:31:34 PM

Quote:

Friday? Bah. Last night (monday) I was up till 4 playing SourceForts. Good game :lol: 

11 O'clock first classes are the best 8)
November 7, 2006 5:10:42 PM

I've got one of those stupid J.O.B things that makes me wake up every weekday at 7:00am. I also have one of those W.I.F.E.'s that limits my CS:S time.
November 7, 2006 6:33:56 PM

But the big question is... how will multicore set ups affect minesweeper and solitaire ? I mean... Microsoft makes the best games..right ?

:lol: 
November 7, 2006 6:43:31 PM

Man, Microsoft makes some damn good games...

Freelancer has got to be one of the best space games I've ever played...

And MechWarrior is a classic... don't ever know if they will release a sequel...
November 7, 2006 6:51:33 PM

yeah totally agree :) 
also liked dungeon siege a lot
and man, have you seen the chess game in vista?? 8O :D 
November 7, 2006 6:53:44 PM

Mechwarrior didn't start out at Msoft and it's most likely tied up in FASA red tape.
November 7, 2006 7:09:51 PM

Microsoft owns FASA now, and don't forget Valve also makes a 64 bit version of HL2
November 7, 2006 10:15:37 PM

Quote:
I am a counter-strike junkie. The news of multi-core support will greatly affect what and when my next upgrade will be. If they come out with the multi-core support soon I will probably scrap my Christmas list and go for a new dual-core proc to replace my Athlon 64 3200+ (single core).

I am really suprise that you haven't upgraded to the C2D yet. I love my E6600 system tremendously, low heat great performance.
November 7, 2006 11:05:44 PM

This looks like a link I posted a few days ago. ;) 
November 8, 2006 2:49:50 AM

Quote:
It depends on what kind of gamer you on. You have your RPG gamers, your FPS gamers, your RTS gamers, even you sim gamers...

RPG wise, Japan has us beat, we can't even come close. The whole FF series, Grandia II, Zelda, Dragon Quest series... what do we have that can match them? Maybe Morrowind or Oblivion at best, but the story is nowhere close to what they have...

FPS, RTS, and Sim's US has the greatest influence... for FPS, I would have to give that honor to either Valve with HL2 or the Battlefield series

RTS... Westwood pioneered it with Command and Conquerer, but Total Annihalation and Starcraft gets honorable mentions...

Sim... Maxis... and only Maxis

You forgot Racing games. Carbon was so much fun, I just couldn't stop. Finished it last night...
November 8, 2006 2:51:16 AM

Quote:
I've got one of those stupid J.O.B things that makes me wake up every weekday at 7:00am. I also have one of those W.I.F.E.'s that limits my CS:S time.

I have a girlfriend and I still don't have that problem. She finished Carbon like 20 minutes before I did. She was off the whole day "to study" so I expected that one.

*edit* Forgot to comment bout the job thing. Have one too and work 9 hours a day. I put a playstation emu on my presshott at work. Currently playing FF8 8). Can only play when there are no complaining customers. Best thing is my boss knows and says it's ok as long as no one from the other departments find out.
November 8, 2006 6:30:13 AM

Quote:

LOD eh?

I've always liked your servers. I'm over in the desert, but i can't wait to get back to frag some people.

[iMPC]Doc Holliday]|[RP]|[
November 8, 2006 9:31:54 AM

Quote:
This looks like a link I posted a few days ago. ;) 

Sorry, didn't see your original post. :oops: 

Good link, however.
November 8, 2006 10:29:04 AM

Nice evolution, every game will have multocore support soon.
November 8, 2006 11:08:53 AM

Only good RPG i've ever played was Kotor.. haha, says alot eh?

Just trying to figure out how all this will make things better, itll get more complicated and a computer will cost 5 grand again for 4 cores, 21379218 video cards, and all the liquid nitrogen you can use to cool the freakin thing.
November 8, 2006 11:17:45 AM

Only 4 cores for all those video cards? O.o
And how big will the mobo be, not to mention the psu???
5 grand however won't be close to enough for all of those... :wink:
November 8, 2006 11:23:44 AM

KOTOR was a damn nice game, KOTOR2 was mediocre...

One game I'm really looking forward too is Alan Wake, I want to see how much better multi-threaded games than the non-variety...

However, there is also such thing as code optimization, which most game companies know nothing about (AKA Never Winter Nights 2)
November 8, 2006 11:55:19 AM

mehh the second gun looks like it could shoot with tampons xDD ''not that i wanna be shot with a tampon''

--

btw that microsoft games thingy =D world's best game is Aoe2 even tho its made by microsoft =P
November 8, 2006 12:18:24 PM

Quote:
Only good RPG i've ever played was Kotor.. haha, says alot eh?

Just trying to figure out how all this will make things better, itll get more complicated and a computer will cost 5 grand again for 4 cores, 21379218 video cards, and all the liquid nitrogen you can use to cool the freakin thing.

Oh, c'mon. I'm really surprised at the game selection in this thread (except one post that I totally agreed with that mentioned C&C - actually, I think, Dune started the whole thing). Probably should be expected given the heavy FPS bias implied by the thread's topic.

But good RPGs rely on good writing; everything BioWare has always been solid. Honorary mention here, I think, should go to Betrayal at Krondor - it was way primitive by today's standards, but some of the best writing in an RPG, as far as I'm concerned. I think, actually, that RPG spun off a book, and not the other way around (!)

Simulations - there are plenty. Driving? EA's F1 series, if I recall, were always solid, and then GPrix Legends I think is widely regarded as one of the best. Please don't call Carbon a sim - it's more of an arcade racer. Still fun, just different premise. I think the Porsche NFS was the last pretty well modeled racer from EA.

Flight Sim - MS Sim (civil), and anything Jane's (not aymore, obviously), IL-2, and the various incarnations of Falcon 4.0

RTS - I think there are a number of great titles out there, courtesy of EA, MS, etc.

FPS - that's the one I play the least. I think, again, a matter of preference. I'm partial to Chronicles of Riddick. That GFX engine will put even the modern cards to their knees at the highest detail setting, and the gameplay was awesome.
November 8, 2006 12:27:04 PM

For RPG: Square rules. No question there.
For FPS: Bungie kicks total and complete ass. Halo 3 anyone?
For RTS: Hmmm, toss up between the guys at Blizzard and Microsoft
Racing sims: Gran Turismo, and PGR..... and Fortza.
For Flight sims: That title belongs to Microsoft.
For Sim games: Maxis.
November 8, 2006 12:27:37 PM

I've played way too many of all kinds of games... good ones, bad ones (well, I stay away from those)... for way too many years... and I hated the original Dune game, I could never keep my spice harvesters alive... goddamn worms...

Planescape Torment and Bioware really do a good job, but how many other American RPG companies can match? Like I said earlier, Japan has us beat.

Simulation: GTR2 is a great series, never played it, but have always heard great things. Never been a fan of flight sims since I'm joystickless (no dirty thoughts please...) but MS Sim has been a classic... I've also enjoyed Colin McRae Rally many times, and NFS is always a fun game however fake it is. However, they need to bring Grand Turismo to the comp..

RTS: Way too many to name, and they all end up being the same after a while, I forgot where the differences between them happened... However, the Total War series gets an honorable mention here also in addition to the ones I said earlier.

FPS: Riddick was one of the few movie based games that was any good, I liked it quite a bit, HL2 brought physics into mainstream, still waiting for a true realistic shooter (which will never happen because no one can realistically Rambo through everything...) But Tom Clancy comes the closest.
November 8, 2006 12:42:34 PM

You know, Japanese RPGs is something I didn't address; mostly because I could never really get into them - too anime like for me, and I'm not an anime junkie...(some FF dialog brings tears to my eyes because of how trite it is...

I know, I know, there's a HUGE FF following out there...

PS. Re: Riddic - Yeah, it just might be the ONLY movie based game that is any good. It really fits in nicely with both movies, too. And I was a sucker for those. Exepting the various Star Wars games, of course, those are an entity in and of themselves, with plenty good ones.

Oh, and Space Sims wise - who can forget the Wing Commander that pioneered the genre on the PC (separating the shooter-type genre from Elite-based explore / trade kind of titles). I remember reading about the implementation with sprites and everything, and how they did it. It was revolutionary for the time...
November 8, 2006 12:43:31 PM

It's because you have no soul...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, Jedi Knight was a good series too. Decent story and Kyle Katarn was pretty bad-ass.
November 8, 2006 1:26:03 PM

Well well.Looks like even steam is getting on the multi thread wagon.Kool.Soon all games will have multi core support.By soon I mean in the next year or two.Thanks for the info.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
November 8, 2006 1:30:50 PM

WHAAT?? All this talk about best game developers and no BioWare?? And what about Blizzard!??

EDIT: I got to the second page, and it's BioWare this, BioWare that...
November 8, 2006 2:04:09 PM

How come nobody has explicitly said it yet? 8O

STARCRAFT

There, now somebody has. :D 

-Zorak

P.S. This thread has really gone off topic. hehe
November 8, 2006 2:16:45 PM

Sorry, its even further off topic but i cant find anyone to appreciate this as much as i do:

Quote:
Microsoft has made a release candidate of their upcoming operating system widely available for testing, and a lot of people who are normally hard to please are so happy with Vista that they are using it as their primary OS. What makes it so great?

For starters, Vista ditches the gaudy interface from XP in favor of a much more elegant "sea urchin" design. Every aspect of the OS has been reworked to incorporate the beauty and the majesty of the sea urchin with your everyday activities. Vista also uses hardware acceleration to power many of its impressive features, such as the Sea Urchin Messenger which will eventually allow you to chat with your friends but currently displays a beautifully rendered sea urchin.

The calculator and calendar have been similarly improved.

Perhaps the biggest improvement in the next installment of Windows is the mouse pointer, which now takes up 85% of the screen and scales with your selected desktop resolution to stay the same relative size. If you want to click something, chances are you won't even have to move your mouse! The advantage this will give you in online games is obvious.

Speaking of games, Microsoft is making many pc titles exclusive to Vista to convince more people to upgrade to the new OS. That may sound sort of sleazy at first, but games developed for Vista can do things that are impossible with the limited and outdated technology in XP. For example, in Halo 2 on Vista you can simultaneously jump, fire, and spin in midair but in Minesweeper on XP I don't think you can jump at all.

November 8, 2006 2:19:11 PM

Quote:
How come nobody has explicitly said it yet? 8O

STARCRAFT

I think somebody did.

Quote:
P.S. This thread has really gone off topic. hehe

I think it has. Ditto on the hehe.
November 8, 2006 2:24:23 PM

Well...that's because some of us really had it with M$ dubious dealings when it comes to the end-user. Ok, I give you that Vista might be a killer OS, but by the 3rd time that you had changed a piece of hardware on your system and the OS tells you that you need to purchase another license I would like to see your reaction!

Once again, I'm not picking up on you...just that you brough it up.

NP
November 8, 2006 3:02:13 PM

Quote:
Well...that's because some of us really had it with M$ dubious dealings when it comes to the end-user. Ok, I give you that Vista might be a killer OS, but by the 3rd time that you had changed a piece of hardware on your system and the OS tells you that you need to purchase another license I would like to see your reaction!

[Going off-topic even further]: That's the same in XP, so I'm not sure the argument works within the framework of XP vs. Vista comparison. And that's, really, the only valid framework for 99% of users with respect to Vista.
November 8, 2006 3:06:27 PM

You're forgetting Relic Entertainment, developer of Dawn of War and more importantly, Company of Heroes.
!