Dead Computer from overclocking e6600? Help Please.

shoallakeboy

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
I just bought an e6600, Asus P5AW DH, ATI 1900xtx and 2 gig OCZ DDR2-800. I had overclocked to 335x9=3 ghz. Ran prime95 with one error. Bumped up the vcore to 1.325 and ram voltage to 1.525 (can't remember exact ram voltage) using the windows ASUS utility. It asked to reboot which I did. It immediately shutdown - not the usually lengthy winxp shutdown. It tried to restart but does not make to the ASUS post (just a beep). The ATI fan continues to run at top noisy speed and nothing more. I removed and reinstalled the CMOS battery - no change. What now? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Ram operates at 1.9V to 2.2V, not sure how you would have the option for 1.5V to the ram, if you actually did change the voltage to 1.5V then thats why it wont start, at this point you would need to get very cheap ram to start your comp up then change it to the voltage required by the OCZ which would be 2.0 to 2.1V,

Also OCZ ram and Asus motherboards don't mix very well...should have bought corsair

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Yeah your RAM voltage is to low, and you should be using BIOS not windows progs, In case you don't know the cmos reset jumper should be around the bottom right hand corner of your motherboard, it'll be three little pins with a jumper covering two of them, then again I'm not sure what ASUS boards are like, any can verify?

shoallakeboy

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
I tried the CMOS jumper. Removed the jumper and replaced. No change. No post just the beep then nothing...

Not sure about the ram voltage number but I made the smallest increment possible.

Really bummed out...don't need to fry a new machine.

What now?

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Yep,
Your MB manual should detail the reset, but on asus it is the "pull the black cover, move it over, reset, and replace" you speak of.

Easy to do, as well as alot of cases have a reset button to reset the MB to original, do you have one?

The asus website will show you how to reset defaults, one of their strengths. As previous poster noted, using bios vs windows is preferred.

Only exception I know is the Asus suite, should be included with your MB, using it, I am running at 3gig with my 6600, and it handled all the dirty work like adjusting the ram, setting vcore, etc, stable as a rock.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Yeah your RAM voltage is to low, and you should be using BIOS not windows progs, In case you don't know the cmos reset jumper should be around the bottom right hand corner of your motherboard, it'll be three little pins with a jumper covering two of them, then again I'm not sure what ASUS boards are like, any can verify?

Last time i told someone to not use the windows program not only did i get told to stop living in hte stone age but he ignored me anyways :eek:

But i do of course agree to not use them.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I am not aware that Asus manufactures a "P5AW DH" motherboard, but if you meant "P5W DH" (Deluxe), then it is not necessary to remove batteries or set jumpers to reset the CMOS. All you do is after you know that POST failed, power off the computer by pressing the power button for 5s or switching off the power supply (don't use the reset button), then in a few seconds turn it back on. The board should automatically load backup CMOS defaults.

To be sure that POST failed, you should also ensure that the monitor is powered up and connected securely, as well as wait at least 30 seconds on hearing the video card fan spin up.

Using this method can you get the system to POST?

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
the weird thing is that x1900xt kept running the fans out loud. just like my case when i flashed its BIOS with x1900xt. are you sure you didn't do something to your vga?

or perhaps i am wrong and there's a link with overclocking cpu, ram, and motherboard, with vga's fans running out loud.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
My graphics card is a nearly identical model (x1900xtx), and the only time its fans spin that loudly is briefly during post, between VGA initialization and completion of POST. If the computer should lock up during POST, it's either before any fans start spinning or shortly after that. In the latter case, the Radeon fan is so noticeable that I've dubbed the noise "perma-fan," but that in no way suggests a graphics card problem.

shoallakeboy

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
P5W DH is correct. Just a typo. I left the CMOS battery out overnight. Put it back in this morning and all is fine. Thanks for everyone's help.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I agree with Jack. I Highly doubt you "fried" anything or killed off your comp... seems like it's pretty much the mem voltage that is screwing you (I've heard such issues of OCZ memory with Asus board requiring too much voltage to boot, and the default voltage is too low so there are issues that way... if you have 2 generic sticks of DDR2 might want to give it a shot)...

ben_the_man

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
I tried the CMOS jumper. Removed the jumper and replaced. No change. No post just the beep then nothing...
What now?

Glad you got it working! But when you say you removed the jumper and replaced, do you mean you reinserted the jumper into the adjacent 2 pins, took it off again and put it back to default? Just taking it out and putting it back in doesn't do anything.

Just a thought, cause it sounds like ur CMOS was the problem (cause taking the bettery out worked eventually), so maybe you just weren't clearing it properly.

sleepy127

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
{Didn't notice he fixed it}[/b]

Just like everyone else is saying, reset your cmos but here is how I do it (it may not be conventional but it has worked many times without fault)
I turn off the psu and then while the psu is off (switch in the back or unplugged from the wall) hold the power on button in untill the power has been purged from the system (the motherboard lights will come on the back off). Do it twice just in case and now plug it back up/ turn the back switch on and fire it up. You should be good now.

Second, do not use overclocking software. You will get better stability by doing it through the bios.

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
P5W DH is correct. Just a typo. I left the CMOS battery out overnight. Put it back in this morning and all is fine. Thanks for everyone's help.

You should be letting everything settle in for a while before overclocking a new system.