Sign in with
Your question

help interpreting 3dmark results

Last response: in Systems
November 6, 2006 5:02:34 AM

So it's been a few days and everything still seems to be running well with my computer. in reading through some other posts I decieded to download to diagnostic and benchmarking software. One thing I downloaded was 3Dmark06. I ran it and my results were 5795. I was in 40th place. The computer that took number 1 seemed to be exactly like mine, but his score was 6335. My question is what can I do to get my score up? I don't really get why we would have different scores if we have about the same components.

My computer
mobo: gigabyte p965-S3
CPU: C2D 6600
GPU: x1900XT 512
RAM: 2048 DDR2 PC2-6400 corsiar (i dont know a lot about ram but cpu-z says it's running at dual channel and the frequency is 400 mhz.

think thats all the important stuff.

Thanks.
November 6, 2006 5:55:08 AM

The simple explanation would be that no two pieces of hardware are equal, as well as the slight fluctuation of 3dMark scores run on the same machine. Try running the test several times and taking an average.
Also, he may be running different drivers, or at different clock speeds to you; likewise, his RAM may have tighter timings.
That said, that seems a reasonable score for a system like yours.
November 6, 2006 8:08:29 PM

So, basically, that score is dead on for my system, assuming it's not overclocked?
Related resources
November 6, 2006 8:45:32 PM

The Futuremark benchmarking software is useful if you are playing with overclocking, whether you are going in the right direction, are you stressing the graphic's or not, other than that it's only really good for the 'school yard' antics of "my rig's better than your rig" type shenanigans which whilst fun might not mean as much to some as they do to others.
November 6, 2006 10:34:56 PM

Ok. I'm not really sure what to make of that.

My purpose of using that software was to make sure that my system is set up correctly. I didn't really know what I was doing when I built this computer so it is very likely that I have not set everything up optimally. Now it makes sense to me that if i run 3dmark and get a score of 2500 I will then know that I have done something wrong. However if you guys tell me that my score is right about where it should be then i'll know that everything is set up right.

I'm not really sure how the mine is bigger than yours comment came about..I was just trying to use this as a reference point to see if my computer is doing what it should be doing. In fact..I think thats the definition of the word benchmark.
November 6, 2006 11:16:10 PM

Indeed my friend, as I see it you should be able to post your score, ask others about it and go on from there to try and work out if you've got thing's right or not, but on this forum I've noticed that as soon as some one mentions 'these are my 3D scores' the air soon grows thick with the 'those look normal', 'if you like the way it games, then don't worry about it.', 'it's a pointless bunch of numbers' type of response, why this happens is anyone guess, the 'mine is bigger than yours' remark was not directed at yourself, but I have found that the posting of one's own scores may be construed as such
November 7, 2006 5:22:21 AM

you got the hardware to score big numbers but the system is not optimized to work together as a team, some fine-tuning is all that's needed to raise your scores.
IMHO a system like yours could score upwards of 7,000 or more in stock configuration when tuned correctly.
but like mousemonkey said (and i agree with him), the 3dmark06 scores and real -world gaming are 2 different things, systems that perform poorly on games may score good numbers on benchmarking and vice-versa, just because oyu think your score is lower than it should be doesn't mean that it wont rip thru a graphics intensive flight simulator like a hot knife thru butter.
Intel and AMD both have their pro's and con's, same with graphics cards, some areas the ATI will dominate and other areas the NVIDIA will mop the floor with it.
i guess what it comes down to is "you can't have your cake and eat it too".
If you're happy with it's performance and it chugs thru your favorite games without ghosting, trailing or freezing with all the bells and whistles turned on then you got it going on bro...enjoy
November 9, 2006 7:00:48 PM

I guess what I am asking, mad-dog, is how i optimize my system to work as a team, then.
November 10, 2006 1:59:41 AM

To get your components to work as team will take alot of time even if you have an automated program do it for you. Hopefully GIGABYTE and ATI have sofware for this and thorugh BIOS manuals. When I built my system, I used and AMD nVidia setup. The ASUS mobo I got came with nVidia's nTune utility, which is supposedly able to tune your system. Catch is you gotta disable ALL spread spectrum features in the BIOS, this can take forever. I've not found a way to disable them yet (even with online forum help), so I aimed for a good 75% tuning (crude for a PC I know). What I did was use the AI Overclock feature in the BIOS to auto-set the mobo and CPU for a 10% OC, then I downloaded and installed the latest version of the nTune utility so I could tweak the VGA and monitor system settings. This took me about 2hrs to do. I then spent litterally 4hrs benchmarking and tuning my system and finally gave up after about 6hrs of trying to perfect a good system. So the question really is, "Are you pleased with how it performs in games, or are you happier with better benchmarks?"

-------------------------

My System:

AMD 64 X2 3800+ OC'ed to 2.2 Ghz, BFG 7900 GTX 512 mb OC'ed, ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe, 2 Gb Kingston Value RAM CAS Latency 2.5-3-3-6, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 4, Westen Digital 74 Gb Ratop ADFD, 2x Western Digital 250 Gb Caviar SE, 3x Thermaltake Hardcano 14 HDD coolers, Thermaltake Blue Orb II CPU cooler, Zalman VF-Cu 900 Blue LED VGA cooler, Thermaltake Extreme Spirit Northbridge cooler, and a PC Power & Cooling 510w PSU.
!